• There are currently leaks out on the internet for FFVII Rebirth; we have received legal notice about these being posted on the forums. Do not post any images, videos, or other media, or links to them from FFVII Rebirth or the artbook. Any leaked media or links to them will be deleted.Repeat offenders will be suspended.
    Please help us out by reporting any leaks, and do not post spoilers outside of the spoiler section.

FFVIIR Official Concept Art & Twitter Whatnots

Cloud_S

Pro Adventurer

Larger res where applicable:

1Ir7NI6.jpg

jZFdy0A.jpg

PJkmltH.jpg

Odysseus

Ninja Potato
AKA
Ody
Your comment reminded me of what my friend said when she first watched Advent Children: "My man, Vincent, needs a throat lozenge."

I like the gravelly voice, but I can see where it would be too much for some people.
The rasp was so thick I didn't even realize it was Blum at first. I was like "what's with the batman impression?"

I guess you would sound like that if you slept in a dusty basement for 30 years though. Somebody get Vincent a glass of water.

Keveh Kins

Pun Enthusiast
It's okay, he brought the cat robot to life with his "inspire" magical ability that he apparently has. It's totally normal. They tech you that shit in economics 101.

I reeeeaaallllyyy hope Inspire is discarded in the remake. Discarded into the dumpster fire of unnecessary and astoundingly shit ideas, in which it belongs. :monster:

Give me engineer and robotic tinkerer Reeve or give me.... something more inspiring than Inspire...

X-SOLDIER

Harbinger O Great Justice
AKA
X
Seriously, with any level of competence in the AI things roaming about that Shinra's got access to, there are WAY more interesting ways for Reeve to have made Cait Sith that don't rely so heavily on something that just feels like unnecessary ex machina. Plus, Inspire makes it seem like Cloud & Co. would've seen Cait Sith as something really weird – whereas they treat him like he's something that's natural to've encountered just like any other artificial things in the world.

Personally, this quote from Kuiil in the Star Wars series The Mandalorian has basically exactly what I'm thinking about:
"Droids are not good or bad — they are neutral reflections of those who program them."

This is the sort of relationship that I want Reeve and Cait Sith to have, since Cait Sith is his own thing, but he's also a reflection of Reeve. Not in a magical sense, but in a real design and engineering sense that would be clear from someone at Shinra who's got so many conflicted emotions on the things that are transpiring there, who's being a spy, but also trying to do good.

X :neo:

Jairus

Author of FFVII: Lifestream & FFVII: Reflections
Something else that would be interesting to explore about Cait Sith is just how sentient he really is or could become apart from Reeve. Since it's doubtful Reeve controls him 24/7, he likely has some kind of autonomous mode where he can operate based on his own decisions, which would likely require an advanced AI capable of learning and adapting to the events, people, and situations around him. Maybe he starts out as just a puppet, per se, but the more he sees and does with Cloud and the gang, the more he could grow, which would give the first Cait's loss a bit of impact, especially if the second one's personality is a bit different than that of the first. They could share the same memories, but how they interact and deal with things and people could be somewhat different between them to remind us that they're really two separate individuals. Similar but different, like the remake itself. I have this headcanon that Reeve prefers to see Cait not as a machine, but as a real being with a mind and emotions of his own. Cait's journey could be as much about discovering what it is to be truly alive as it is to understand Avalanche and fight Shinra.

Last edited:

X-SOLDIER

AKA
X
I really like the idea that Cait Sith is an autonomous AI, that Reeve has a sort of VR environment where he can assume control and take over communicating through Cait Sith any time he wants or needs to. As a result of that interaction, Cait Sith has a fingerprint of Reeve about him even moreso than normal, that's the result of his experiences and interactions that make him unique. Cait Sith and Reeve get to be the same person – but also are unique expressions of that person that are distinct from one another.

Ghost in the Shell: SAC does a lot of this sort of thing in how it explores the individuality amongst the Tachikoma who share all of the same information, but don't have all the same curiosities. They do a lot of wondering about the nature of their own existence as well in that, and you get attached to them and feel a finality to the damage to their physical shells, because there are specifics about them that could get lost forever if the body gets destroyed even if they can technically come back. I think would fit Cait Sith – especially in the transition between Cait Sith 1 & 2, and that's a really REALLY good area to expand FFVII more in a way that would be engaging and add a lot more depth to a character who very much needs it, not to mention help to make his sacrifice feel different than the other character losses, but also not one that's devoid of meaning or sadness by having a replacement that's able to arrive.

I think that Reeve would be most interesting if we learn that he's got a passion for exploring the idea of machines that can think on their own. It's clear that Shinra is only really interested in things that are loyal, programmable, dependable, and expendable. That would help frame him as someone who's working in the place that he needs to in order to actually do that kind of work, but feels a frustration around something deeper that goes beyond just his personal motivations, and reflects itself in who Cait Sith actually is as their own entity when they encounter the party.

LNK

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Nate
I really like the idea that Cait Sith is an autonomous AI, that Reeve has a sort of VR environment where he can assume control and take over communicating through Cait Sith any time he wants or needs to. As a result of that interaction, Cait Sith has a fingerprint of Reeve about him even moreso than normal, that's the result of his experiences and interactions that make him unique. Cait Sith and Reeve get to be the same person – but also are unique expressions of that person that are distinct from one another.

Ghost in the Shell: SAC does a lot of this sort of thing in how it explores the individuality amongst the Tachikoma who share all of the same information, but don't have all the same curiosities. They do a lot of wondering about the nature of their own existence as well in that, and you get attached to them and feel a finality to the damage to their physical shells, because there are specifics about them that could get lost forever if the body gets destroyed even if they can technically come back. I think would fit Cait Sith – especially in the transition between Cait Sith 1 & 2, and that's a really REALLY good area to expand FFVII more in a way that would be engaging and add a lot more depth to a character who very much needs it, not to mention help to make his sacrifice feel different than the other character losses, but also not one that's devoid of meaning or sadness by having a replacement that's able to arrive.

I think that Reeve would be most interesting if we learn that he's got a passion for exploring the idea of machines that can think on their own. It's clear that Shinra is only really interested in things that are loyal, programmable, dependable, and expendable. That would help frame him as someone who's working in the place that he needs to in order to actually do that kind of work, but feels a frustration around something deeper that goes beyond just his personal motivations, and reflects itself in who Cait Sith actually is as their own entity when they encounter the party.

X:neo:
I know people hate the idea of a 7-10 connection, but what if Reeve was a descendant of the Al Bhed? That could explain this: "I think that Reeve would be most interesting if we learn that he's got a passion for exploring the idea of machines that can think on their own"

X-SOLDIER

AKA
X
I know people hate the idea of a 7-10 connection, but what if Reeve was a descendant of the Al Bhed? That could explain this: "I think that Reeve would be most interesting if we learn that he's got a passion for exploring the idea of machines that can think on their own"

I think that things like that are totally fine, so long as they're handled and presented VERY much as being an easter egg.

Imagine something like Reeve having a translation key for an old document written in the same alphabet cipher as Al Bhed, but the language is never explicitly mentioned by name. That way it's something that could just be unique to the world of FFVII that exists all on its own within its own context, but the way that it's borrowing inspiration from another game to make it a little easter egg works as a nod to people who like that connection.

The best kind of canon for those cross-game-world links are the ones that give tiny little ways to potentially allow them to connect, but doesn't ever explicitly force them connect for everyone. Like the Xenomorph skull in Predator 2 – it doesn't necessarily mean that the Predator series will lead to the events in Alien, but it also doesn't mean that it won't. It means that you can enjoy it as a standalone or with the connection however you like best without being wrong about the individual stories' connection to or independence from one another.

Top Bottom