FFVIIR Official Concept Art & Twitter Whatnots

KindOfBlue

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Blue
It makes no sense for them to take it slow in Midgar and then suddenly to a breakneck pace (which it would be if the OG points are followed at all closely) just because they aren't in a city.
Like I said, they chose to have the entire first game in Midgar so naturally they had to extend it as much as possible. Even with the changes to the story in mind you still had some pretty obvious moments that did not need to last as long as they did like the mako reactor 5 bombing, the sewers, train graveyard, chapter 14, and Hojo’s lab. Personally I don’t mind padding but as far as what they add to the story, not much material in those segments.

Further, the padding out was done because it was taking an OG screen (the Sector 4 underplate) and sizing it to the proportions of the game.
I really don’t think we’d miss much if the proportions weren’t the same. It’s padding to fill out time and it’s fine, it’s just something that will become less necessary if they don’t try to expand every area as much as Midgar. Don’t get me wrong, I’ll take more game any time but there’s some segments that don’t really need to be a whole lot more than what they already are.

The Twilight Mexican

Ex-SeeD-ingly good
AKA
TresDias
Thats just it. The end of 7R has already shown they are adding whole new plots.

The end of VIIR introduced new plots, yes, but the whole of VIIR was not new plots. Your suggestion is basically that they pull a complete-ish narrative of comparable size and content to VIIR out of much less pre-existing material while simultaneously saving those already newly introduced plot points from the end of VIIR until the next game.

I won't say it absolutely won't happen, but I'll reimburse you your expenses for VIIR-2 if it does.

The period between Kalm and the cargo ship in the original game is largely narrative downtime. It's such a lull in the acceleration of the narrative that you run into the Turks and they do not even fight you because they, like the story, have moved on to Sephiroth for the time being. And it happens in a location you never visit again -- one of several such locations that fill this period in the narrative.

For the most part, the trek across the eastern continent just establishes a handful of small world-building elements that won't become relevant until significantly later while featuring as much or more that is rudimentary to an RPG and forgotten as soon as you move on.

So, to summarize and reiterate: the design choice you describe strikes me as infinitesimally unlikely, even for Nomura and co. It would amount to attempting to stretch a segment of game time that typically takes three hours into more than 30, and would actually be a massive departure from what was done with the first installment. Which, yes, stretched a segment of game time that typically takes about 6 hours into more than 30, yet did so while utilizing a portion of the game that also comprises about a quarter of the original script (I checked) rather than at most 1/8 -- accumulating even that much only by virtue of the very beginning and endmost corresponding segments in the original game.

Long story short (too late, I realize this), even if the fanbase cared enough about that segment of the original game to accept such a decompressed milking of the story, I don't expect for one second that the developers care enough about it to spend that long with it.

The Twilight Mexican

Ex-SeeD-ingly good
AKA
TresDias
The "Hunt For Sephiroth" section of the story encompasses my favorite part of the original game. I hope it is expanded to a preposterous level.
Oh, sure, but I wager Kalm to the cargo ship isn't your favorite section of it? Or not enough to see it expanded to absurdity such that you have to wait an additional two or three years for the western continent section of the hunt.

Kain424

Old Man in the Room
Oh, sure, but I wager Kalm to the cargo ship isn't your favorite section of it? Or not enough to see it expanded to absurdity such that you have to wait an additional two or three years for the western continent section of the hunt.

If they add a bunch of stuff to that section that's as good as Jessie's topside visit, I'd be more than pleased. I admit, I'm not expecting them to actually punch up the Eastern Continent to an outrageous degree. But a guy can dream, damn it.

Truth is, I am very concerned over this next section. Midgar has always been my least favorite section of the original game and they pretty much rocked it. But I think Midgar is comparatively easy to get right. Take out the world map? Probably a bad move. Eliminating the "huge world" feel from this next part of the game takes away a considerably large part of what makes that bit even work.

world map.png

It would be a shame to see them lose that world they hinted at (which also seems to be true to the original's map as well) in the Shinra hologram. There's a lot of promise there. And that's just the start of things that would be easy to screw up.

Littlewing

Pro Adventurer
AKA
human
The "Hunt For Sephiroth" section of the story encompasses my favorite part of the original game. I hope it is expanded to a preposterous level.
It’ll be just like Final Fantasy 15 I bet, it would just be like a huge open world type exploration and wondering, really. There’s Kalm and then sometime after all those huge snake demon things. It just really conjured and makes me invasion FF15 type scenarios, especially with the chocoholic riding thing as well. Personally I think it would be cooler if they just kept their truck and drove through that area instead of riding a chocobo so early on since the creatures are so fantastical and mystical I don’t think they fit the early half of the story.

What I assume to be official concept art of Yuffie at the scrapyard, since it was uploaded on the official Twitter channel

E4txQmOVcAMf7BY

Makoeyes987

Listen closely, there is meaning in my words.
AKA
Smooth Criminal
Mad respect for Bigg's humble yet organized, clean and nicely laid out abode. That's pretty cool seeing the layout of people's homes within the slums like that. Making the best of his meager space.

As for Wedge, jfc, he's truly living the crazy cat man life. :monster:

Like, does he not own anything?! It's all just..cats!!!

Top Bottom