• There are currently leaks out on the internet for FFVII Rebirth; we have received legal notice about these being posted on the forums. Do not post any images, videos, or other media, or links to them from FFVII Rebirth or the artbook. Any leaked media or links to them will be deleted.Repeat offenders will be suspended.
    Please help us out by reporting any leaks, and do not post spoilers outside of the spoiler section.

FINAL FANTASY 14

ForceStealer

Double Growth
There's a nasty EXP cost every time you die, so should you die a couple of times, you can actually go down a couple of levels. Again, this makes the game a real pain in the ass even if you do have someone to res you because you still have the penalty which may make you too low if you were part of a party. It's just physically painful to play most of the time, and the only motivating factor would be if you're interested in the story. :\

There's my problem with it. I had a one month free trial and I played it for about a week. I spent so much damn time just killing those stupid rabbits. And the rabbits were more than capable of killing me and, when they did, I'd lose a level and have to do it over.
I'm sure I wasn't strong enough to undertake the main quest but I'm pretty sure I didn't know where it was if I wanted to. After a week I decided I had wasted an inordinate amount of time on rabbits and gave up.

jelly

Pro Adventurer
It took me about a week to be high enough level to play with parties. But that was with using stealth and perseverance and not being too gung ho and trying to kill so many ITs in a row. Although with it being a game that is meant to be played with others, it really can seem to be slow and tedious trying to grind levels by yourself.

Even when you start playing in groups it can be even harder to test your patience because you have to accomodate with other people, but funnily enough, that was part of the reason why I liked it. I'm sure that anyone who's been on a sport's team or something would know what I mean. I know that most mmorpg has some aspect of teamwork, but those who have played XI would know that only a few jobs and oddball main/sub job combinations can solo. Even then, most people solo to do something different not because it's more efficient.

Though sadly, of course it can't be for everyone. And it's not like long level grinding is new in FF. And plus with it being a subscription paid online game they have to tweak it in any way they can to make players play longer. But even aside from all of that, if all you can think about is getting to some level as fast as you can and thinking about how much time you've wasted when you delevel, when there are a lot of other things to do, then you probably won't enjoy it as much. I never really cared that much about dying and losing exp until I was in my 60's, because if you play with friends, not nearly as much seems tedious and boring. And yeah... I think what really distinguishes a mmorpg is that it lets you play with others so that your experience will be a lot more fun.

Geostigma

Pro Adventurer
AKA
gabe
ITT thread people acting like FFXI is the only mmorpg to have staple mmorpg features, such as death penalties and emphasis on team work, and long grinds.

Alessa Gillespie

a letter to my future self
AKA
Sansa Stark, Sweet Bro, Feferi, tentacleTherapist, Nin, Aki, Catwoman, Shinjiro Aragaki, Terezi, Princess Bubblegum
ITT thread people acting like FFXI is the only mmorpg to have staple mmorpg features, such as death penalties and emphasis on team work, and long grinds.
idk, WHEN I PLAYED WOW ROFFLE I realized that in order to get my shit back, I had to go back to my corpse. This is way better than a 20% EXP penalty because the white mage didn't notice that some crabs were hitting me.

I am fine with death penalties, I am NOT okay with losing my hard-earned levels because some notorious monster spawned in the area between Windy and the ship to get to Sandy. That's just some old bullshit.

Geostigma

Pro Adventurer
AKA
gabe
My point is that thats pretty much a staple mmorpg feature though, saying FFXI fails because it used something that like 99% of other mmorpgs also use is redundant.

Tetsujin

he/they
AKA
Tets
My point is that thats pretty much a staple mmorpg feature though, saying FFXI fails because it used something that like 99% of other mmorpgs also use is redundant.

I think it's a valid point. It doesn't do anything that other MMOs aren't doing already and also has the same annoyance factors. Why bother then? :wacky:

Anyway, didn't they say that FF14 is gonna be different in that you can also play solo and don't *have* to team up with others?
Also less grinding?

jelly

Pro Adventurer
I think it's a valid point. It doesn't do anything that other MMOs aren't doing already and also has the same annoyance factors. Why bother then?

Cause it's FF. :wacky:

Anyway, didn't they say that FF14 is gonna be different in that you can also play solo and don't *have* to team up with others?
Also less grinding?
I don't know about less grinding, but there won't be levels only job development, and it is supposed to be more soloable.

Max Payne

Banned
AKA
Leon S. Kennedy,Terry Bogard, The Dark Knight, Dacon, John Marston, Teal'c
14 is meant to be pretty different, so how about we find out exactly how it plays before bitching and moaning like schoolgirls?

Geostigma

Pro Adventurer
AKA
gabe
Well your going to end up grinding something either way, grinding doesnt just apply to killing shit for exp, it also means killing shit for drops till it drops (or drops multiple times), profession grinding (mining, farming, dumb shit like that) or quest grinding. Theres never gonna be an mmorpg without grinding, hell theres barely any games with no grinding.

Also less grinding?

IIRC its in closed beta as well, meaning its not finished in the sense that the base level of quests, bug patches and skill set expansions arent available yet. All closed beta is really for is just so people can get a feel for the game while also inadvertently finding bugs to get fixed.

Why bother then?
Why bother with MMO's in general then?
Why bother with sequels then?
The list could go on, but point in case we have no idea from the few screen shots available from the closed beta how FF14 is going to end up.Most MMO's are vastly different from there initial release even up to a year after its first day online.

jelly

Pro Adventurer
I thought people were complaining about XI not XIV.. :lol:

Oh well, back on topic then. Er yeah, I don't know what there is to complain about 14 so far. No one's played it yet.

Either way, I wanna play another FF mmorpg:excited:

Geostigma

Pro Adventurer
AKA
gabe
oh :monster:

Anywho FFXI wasnt that bad either, if you get mad over death penalties then you shouldnt be playing mmorpg's in the first place since theres much more maddening things to deal with once your a decent level.

Alessa Gillespie

a letter to my future self
AKA
Sansa Stark, Sweet Bro, Feferi, tentacleTherapist, Nin, Aki, Catwoman, Shinjiro Aragaki, Terezi, Princess Bubblegum
FFXI wasn't the sort of MMORPG that you could play for short spans of time and hope to have any fun with. You had to dedicate entire days to actually grinding and doing a single quest in order to get anywhere. Thus, why I get so frustrated with it because I don't LIKE spending my entire day off playing a single video game all day. :monster:

Geostigma

Pro Adventurer
AKA
gabe
FFXI wasn't the sort of MMORPG that you could play for short spans of time and hope to have any fun with. You had to dedicate entire days to actually grinding and doing a single quest in order to get anywhere. Thus, why I get so frustrated with it because I don't LIKE spending my entire day off playing a single video game all day. :monster:

Thats what every single mmorpg in existence is like, thats why there life ruining and addicting, you have dedicate ridiculous amounts of time, money and energy into them in order to get anywhere. And most times you can dedicate a shit ton of time, money and energy into them and get no where either.

You really should just stop posting in this thread, mmorpg's are not for you.
edit:
@ tennnnnnny, my wow chars were banned :(
The guy i lent them to in the mean time decided to bot on the account. yay.

Last edited:

Tennyo

Higher Further Faster
Thats what every single mmorpg in existence is like, thats why there life ruining and addicting, you have dedicate ridiculous amounts of time, money and energy into them in order to get anywhere. And most times you can dedicate a shit ton of time, money and energy into them and get no where either.

You really should just stop posting in this thread, mmorpg's are not for you.

Actually, WoW is not really like this to that extent. That may be what she means. I like to solo sometimes, and I can. If I need help, I ask my guild peeps for some. If there's a bunch of us on together who are all the same level we quest and do dungeons together. I can leave the game for days at a time and come back and do the same thing. And I actually get somewhere.

Death penalties don't consist of you loosing a level, you either run back to your corpse and everything is good or you rez at a Spirit Healer and take extra damage to your armor, that can be fixed in a shop, in addition to a temporary drop in some of your stats known as Resurrection sickness. I don't have to worry about a run through a dungeon being all for not because the party wipes at the final boss. We just go back and try again, and easily, too. right from where we left off.

So yes, she does have case, because not ALL MMORPG's are exactly the same down to a T.

edit:
@ tennnnnnny, my wow chars were banned :(
The guy i lent them to in the mean time decided to bot on the account. yay.

Awwwww that's no good. :(

Get a new account? :)

Tetsujin

he/they
AKA
Tets
PC, although I wanted to test on PS3 Dx
According to the mail, there's gonna be a PS3 test phase later on as well but for now they only want to test it on PC.

...which is a problem for me, since my PC is barely on the level of a PS2. :P

ForceStealer

Double Growth
User, we really don't mind people bumping old threads. But if you're gonna hit so many, try to say something with some more substance, please.

Top Bottom