• There are currently leaks out on the internet for FFVII Rebirth; we have received legal notice about these being posted on the forums. Do not post any images, videos, or other media, or links to them from FFVII Rebirth or the artbook. Any leaked media or links to them will be deleted.Repeat offenders will be suspended.
    Please help us out by reporting any leaks, and do not post spoilers outside of the spoiler section.

FINAL FANTASY 14

Username

Banned
Ok.....FF14 is to me the worst ever game of the whole FF franchise, I have looked into it a little, but not much. From what I have gathered, it looks really lame. Why launch a game online? to make money..thats why, well I hope it fails.

Tennyo

Higher Further Faster
Why does any company make video games?

To make money, that's why. That's how business works.

Yes even when the business is video games.

Geostigma

Pro Adventurer
AKA
gabe
Ok.....FF14 is to me the worst ever game of the whole FF franchise, I have looked into it a little, but not much. From what I have gathered, it looks really lame. Why launch a game online? to make money..thats why, well I hope it fails.

Obviously SE is a charitable organization bent on making crappy games for us to not enjoy.

Masamune

Fiat Lux
AKA
Masa
Why does any company make video games?

To make money, that's why. That's how business works.

Yes even when the business is video games.

Obviously SE is a charitable organization bent on making crappy games for us to not enjoy.

Although the video-game industry is a business, there are still games produced through an artistic spark instead of just committee thinking to make a cheap buck.

So yeah, he does have a point.

Scias

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Vega, Kyle Hyde
It's a shame this game sucked so much, I loved the music

FF may fail sometimes (sadly kinda frequently as of late), but ALWAYS wins in the music departament, even when a game fails, the music still wins *coughcoughDirgeofCerberuscoughcough*

But seriously Square-Enix, stop fooling around. :kermit:

ForceStealer

Double Growth
Well, they're still trying.

During the beta of Final Fantasy XIV players discovered that the game had a system called “fatigue”, that gradually reduced the leveling-up speed if players played the same class for too long during the same week.

That caused an almost unprecedented media storm, with several websites going as far as outright warping reality with headlines that stated that players were able to play only “8 hours a week” and similar.

While those headlines were completely false, it’s true that the fatigue system was a rather lopsided way to equalize the leveling ratio between hardcore and casual players, and in the end was (understandably) received very badly by the vast majority of the game’s playerbase, remaining to this day one of the main gripes for many.

Today Square Enix announced that the system will be scrapped altogether with patch 1.18, scheduled to be released on July the 21th.

This change, coming together with a sizable amount of content in the form of quest re-balancing, the addition of auto-attack, group-based raids and more, is part of a quite evident effort to bring the game up to speed, moving towards a future PS3 re-release, that will be the true test to the work of the development team.

Today’s announcements for patch 1.18 also include a reform to the death penalty system, that will be slightly harsher and will also damage equipment, the implementation of new conjurer-exclusive resurrection spells (Raise II and Rebirth) alongside the lowering of the level for the current ones, and the removal of the anima cost for returning to the bind, replaced by a fifteen minutes cool down.

What role do you enjoy playing the most in a party, tanking, healing, melee damage dealer, or ranged damage dealer and why?

Yoshida: I prefer damage dealers and tanks. The former gives me a sense of watching over the battle and 'wearing down' the enemies, which I enjoy. A damage dealer on the verge of death appeals to me when playing PvP, too. Tanks on the other hand are aware of hate levels and their surroundings which allows them to be strategic and adapt their play style. I tend to play as all the classes though! (laughs)

If you were taking a stroll through the deserts of Thanalan and a trio of NM Goblins flying on Bomb Balloons attacked you from above, what would you do?

Yoshida: I'd probably burst the balloons and bring it down to the ground! (laughs) I'd like to gradually make these things on my mind possible in the future.

What is your favorite Final Fantasy monster and why do you like it the most?

Yoshida: The term 'monster' can cover quite a wide range of things, but if I had to choose I'd say the great Malboro. They just create so much impact when you see them. My second choice would probably be chocobos!

What is your favorite zone in FFXIV?
Yoshida: Central Mor Dhona, where the remains of the fallen airship can be seen. The place oozes with a sense of adventure. I'm hoping to create more places like this when we revise the map - and make sure there's plenty of content to compliment them!

If you could be any of the races in FFXIV, what race would you choose and why?

Yoshida: If I could be any race but stay as myself in the real world, it would have to be Hyur. I just like the idea of doing my best as an ordinary citizen, although as a player using a character...I would pick Lalafell. (laughs) They're hard to target in PvP and have tons of charm, too. (laughs)

Upcoming content that you're working on that you're most excited for players to see/play?

Yoshida: At the moment? Instanced Raids. After 1.19 comes out, I'd have to say Materia crafting and the Ifrit battle!

What's the hottest debate going on amongst the development team right now? (that you can tell us about!)

Yoshida: That would be our new 'conductor' plan. The point of our discussions is to consider fundamental revisions such as how characters access each part of the game content and how they develop after they're created, the level they need to reach to obtain mounts, etc. We're also planning the mount system based on this idea so I suppose this 'conductor' approach is our current hottest topic.

Jump. We've pretty much confirmed it is coming. What further details can we wrestle out of you about it?

Yoshida: All I can say is that we are not emphasising jumping with the jump key as a means to cover vast distances on the map or an element that must be used during battle strategies... Maybe it's easiest to say it will just be like the jump you generally see in MMO's.

Can you run us through the typical creation of a new piece of armor/weapon, etc.? Where does it start, then who does it go to, and where does it end up. Basically from start to finish.

Yoshida: The process of commissioning new equipment/weapons is largely split in two. The first is 'what's required from a game design point of view', e.g. it goes without saying an ultimate weapon players can only get when reaching the maximum level for a certain job should look unique. The other side entails 'equipment in the form of a reward' for 'content' that players must aim to clear. For both cases, a full time Item Team was established and they are accepting offers from the whole project. As there are so many unique designs that are essential to game planning, the production costs really add up. We then proceed with commissioning reward-based equipment after we decide whether it should be made with existing adjustments + parameters built-in or by redesigning the look. The character design team are the ones who get the actual request. Akihiko
Yoshida's team creates the artwork used for character modelling and then modelling work starts based on this. Work proceeds to sculpting and when it's ready, it takes about 6 months to create one full set of equipment that maintains FFXIV's high standards of graphics. We can't get a good supply of these items ready if we don't establish a long-term plan for creating them. This is the most important part. Finally, the staff responsible for each content adds the items to the in-game item database and we're done!

How about the same as the above, but for quests/missions?

Yoshida: Just like creating items, there are also two processes for quests and scenarios. The flow is different for quests that form the basis of the game. The series of scenarios and quests that we call main quests are designed to be directly related to the plot. The person in charge of the scenario scripts the plot, and after I check and make further adjustment requests, this step repeats itself. The content staff then commission what quests are needed for the patch update and the World Settings Team also provide their ideas. Everything is mapped out and work on the script begins once I decide what order to prioritize the work. In the meantime, the Scenario/World Settings Teams get the text ready for what will become the actual script and the Quest Team continues to implement it. Once the text is done, the Localization teams handle the translation in tandem with the work flow and the content is released after tests and debugging on actual equipment. The workload progresses mainly as 'per-diem management'. Incidentally, we're currently getting planning and plot details organized for patch 1.19!

Have we decided on "Materia" being the final name for the upcoming system?
Yoshida: While not 100% definite, we're probably going to go with Materia crafting.

What in-game related feature/item do you wish you could use in the real world?
Yoshida: Definitely teleportation. Commuting to work is such a waste of time...

What's the latest longest stretch you've been in the office while finishing a deadline, or before a major milestone?
Yoshida: If we're talking about FFXIV, then 22 hours straight. I can get by on 2 hours sleep, but if I don't sleep in a bed I'm exhausted the next day. By the way, I sleep 2-3.5 hours on average - it's been like that since taking this job. (laughs) If we're talking about since I started working in the games industry, then I once had a 96 hour marathon. At that time, I didn't sleep a wink for 96 hours. (loud laugh)

That's it for now, check back tomorrow for the French and German questions!

^Still interesting that the crafting system is 'Materia Crafting'.

Summary of the important bits c/o tebian at FFRadio:

It’s not canceled. Development is underway, don’t worry! The PS3 version will be released at all costs.”

Both the english and french interviews include some very intresting details, hidden between personal questions on the working life of Yoshida and the development team. Here are a few:

-An extensive revision of the game’s maps is confirmed. Yoshida would like to create many iconic places and compliment them with lots of content.

-The ability to jump will be implemented (much to my dismay), and will be similar in implementation to what other MMORPGs have.

-Planning and plot details are being organized for patch 1.19.

-Private player housing will be implemented together with the map redesign.

-Airships and Chocobos will be implemented with patch 1.19. More details about them will be revealed in August.

-PvP is still planned

Given Square's financial trouble, I'm surprised they're letting this much money go into 14 for no income as they're still not charging for it. But I guess there's something to be said for persistence. I just wonder if it's even possible for the game to overcome the incredibly negative press from the get-go even if it becomes awesome.
I guess part of the strategy in waiting to release the PS3 version is that they'll get another round of press reviews, so if they can improve it enough before releasing it they could hope for some better press.

Tifabelle

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Tifabelle, Nathan Drake, Locke Cole, Kain Highwind, Yamcha, Arya Stark
There's probably a pride factor here. Trying to salvage it. I mean, if they're still intent on releasing a PS3 copy, then they have to fix it otherwise no one would buy it, and that would be just as big a waste of money as anything else.

If they can alter some of the problems, they can release the PS3 (and xbox?) version and sell it as an all new game, (partially) free from the stigma.

If they can actually pull off improving the game, I don't think it would sell as well as it would have originally (obv), but I bet they could do decently well. That is... IF they can get good press (and that includes from the current players). They'd need to improve it significantly, and maybe they would need to have some kind of incentive (ie: an altogether new feature or something) to get people interested again. Otherwise people will say "FF14? bah... we've moved on"

Alex Strife

Ex-SOLDIER
IF it comes out on the PS3 and they don't charge for playing, they I might even consider buying it.

After I find it second-hand. :monster:

Tifabelle

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Tifabelle, Nathan Drake, Locke Cole, Kain Highwind, Yamcha, Arya Stark
Well, that's the thing. People aren't going to buy the game, and then pay a monthly fee on top of that unless they really have something to show for it. SE would have to put in some kind of incentive on top of massively improving overall and detailed gameplay - such as reduced cost and/or reduced monthly cost. (Giving a free month is probably an obvious choice, but I don't think that would be enough. They still need to give a reason for people to continuously pay for this.)

Tennyo

Higher Further Faster
Give me a free trial and we'll see

Although I'm pretty sure I won't keep playing once the trial ends anyway. I think I'd rather go back to WoW. :P

Cthulhu

Administrator
AKA
Yop
Watching is pretty much all you happen to be doing from level 1 to 85. For months. That, and paying a shitton of money.

http://andriasang.com/comyby/

As reported at Sponichi, Wada said of the problematic Final Fantasy XIV, "The Final Fantasy brand has been greatly damaged.
Square Enix has been implementing fixes for FFXIV since earlier this year. Said Wada about the fixes, "We'll continue with our reform work, which basically amounts to fully redoing the game, and hope to revive the FFXIV that should have been released."

Nothing new really. One guy on The Escapist pointed out something interesting though.

Dormammu Phd:
"I am happy that there's not any blame shifting on Square Enix's part to somehow make it the customer's fault that they delivered such a bad product. That said, Square Enix is taking quite the beating."

You know, he is right. Wada *could* be a worse public figure. :monster:

Top Bottom