Final Fantasy 4

Dawnbreaker

~The Other Side of Fear~
Also a very good FF, IMO. I think it suffers from an extreme amount of character revivals, but it's still an interesting story, fun characters and some good challenge.

And who doesn't love "YOU SPOONY BARD"? :P

Dark and Divine

Pro Adventurer
AKA
D&D
Curiously, I've been replaying it in the DS.

Though not one of my favourite FF games, i like it very much.

It has a good variety of characters, the story is good and the battle system is fun too.

I really liked FFIV; Cecil's one of my favorite main characters of the series, despite his tendency to angst. Actually, I thought all of the characters were pretty likable.

I'm debating whether or not to pick up the DS remake, since I'm not really sure how much new content it has, exactly.

Nocturne

Watching Thee From The Moon
AKA
Just Nocturne will do
Im not sure if I liked the DS remake better or not than the playstation port. The worst thing about it too was the character revivals, but it's still really good.

sheens

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Sheens, Mooglet
Well, I really liked this game too. And the DS does have a flashy opening movie, but other than that, there's nothing really special about the remake. >: Also, am I the only one who was disappointed that Edge and Rydia never got it on? Aside from the fact she's chronologically 7 years old, I loved them.

Strangelove

AI Researcher
AKA
hitoshura
But is there anything really wrong with the DS version? 'Cause I was thinking of getting that :monster:

Is there much added to it? I thought they were meant to be adding some story back in which had to be cut before.

Countess Ariadne

Pro Adventurer
I've only played the DS remake, so I can't tell you the differences firsthand, but going by what I've found online, they did include more of the script, Namingway has many different purposes, the voice acting is new (obviously), and Whyt is stylus-controlled only. I don't think there are any new dungeons or eidolons or anything like that, though. And, just as an assumption, the characters' thoughts on the menu weren't there previously?

They did fix the character revivals issue, though. Now, they use augments, which give the characters you have at the time abilities of old characters in the past. It sounds a lot better to me~

I've enjoyed playing the DS version. Don't shoot me. D:

Celes Chere

Banned
AKA
Noctis
I really loved the DS re-make of this game. It had a lot of extras, and the chibi forms were so cute. Though I kind of wish it were re-made for a different platform. >;

Anyway, IV is definitely my favorite FF, tied with VI. The story captured me the most, and the characters were really stunning, I liked all of them. I got easily addicted to it when I first started to play.

Not to mention, Golbez is a bamf. :monster:

Countess Ariadne

Pro Adventurer
I hope you enjoy it!

I'm glad that it came out on the DS, though I wouldn't have minded it on the PSP either, going by Cecil's design. But I rather liked the stylus usage on the Whyt mini-games.

Dawnbreaker

~The Other Side of Fear~
I have played and beaten every single verison of FF4.

Whyt isn't just stylus-controlled, he dosen't exist in any other verison period. Yes, voice acting and the 3D graphics are new. There is 2 new bosses, and three new scenes, and one new movie. Some of the dialogue's been chanegd (spoony bard stays though :monster:) and a few things in the menu and battle have been altered.

I personally recommend it. I enjoyed it a lot.

Cloud89

Dias Flec's Sword Cleaner
FF4 is one of my favourite titles in the FF series. There was just something about it which made it so much fun! (That airship theme is incredible)

I don't think the character revivals were that bad, if you put them in context with other FF games of bad guys/good guys who should die.
Example: Squall/Rinoa (Ice through the chest, prison collapses on top of him, electrocuted, space) (hanging of a ledge for about an hour, done over by Edea, floating in space)
Example: Any villian

I love how future FF games have taken a lot of ideas and themes from 4 and implemented them into their games. The moon is a major plot point in 4 and in 8 it is also a big point. Cecil = Steiner/Beatrix, in an army where they start to feel unconfortable in the orders they receive. Palom & Popadom = Blank - Petrify/Stone. Power of Meteor - FF7.

Hope I didn't spoiler anything. I just really like this game. Ha!

Charles Xavier

Pro Adventurer
The only thing that the DS version is missing is the Lunar Ruins. It definitely comes close to being the best version of FFIV in my book, but I have to say that I slightly prefer the Game Boy Advance version.

Wiegraf

White Knight
AKA
Thamauturge (IMDb and Gamefaqs), Haeralis, Haeralis the Brave, Wiegraf, and JudgeMagisterDelita
The GBA FFIV was my first FF ever and I honestly enjoyed it quite a bit.

Sprites

Waiting for something
AKA
Gems
First time I played FFIV was the port to the playstation and I pretty much fell in love with it, I didn't think it could get any better with the DS remake but it bloody did. I really love FFIV its up there as my favourite with IX.

The storyline is compelling, the soundtrack is gorgeous, love the characters particularly Palom and Porom because they remind me of how my twin brother and I acted when we were young. There's just something about that FF that makes it hard not to like and it sounds greedy but it and FFIX are the two FFs i'd love to see remade for the PS3 rather than VII.

Strangelove

AI Researcher
AKA
hitoshura
I realise now how long I've had this game and still haven't beaten it.

Because every time I try I end up running into some boss that I can't get past and putting it down for a while. I read they ramped up the difficulty for the DS version, but. I kind of wish they'd have toned it down a bit :sadpanda:
I'm at the battle with Golbeza in the dwarf castle, but even though I'm levelled up enough to have no problem with the enemies outside of the castle he still takes most of my team out anyway, and Rydia is basically around for one turn until Golbeza takes her out with a single hit.

Also this Decant thing confuses me because having not played it before I don't know which characters to give stuff to, and so end up basically not using them.

Ryushikaze

Deus Admiral Parsimonious, PHD, DDS, MD, JD, OBE
AKA
Tim, Ryu
The DS version is harder? Whut?

Anyways, Decants- always give two of your less useful decants/augments to non final party members. This will get you their AWESOME ones for use at the end of the game. BTW, giving ????'s love to Cecil and connecting and disconnecting to online whyt battles makes for a ludicrously broken basic attack.
It's fun!

null

Mr. Thou
AKA
null
:sadpanda:
I'm at the battle with Golbeza in the dwarf castle, but even though I'm levelled up enough to have no problem with the enemies outside of the castle he still takes most of my team out anyway, and Rydia is basically around for one turn until Golbeza takes her out with a single hit.

I love that about IV. It's one of the few FFs I found challenging.

I'm trying to decide which is the hardest FF. IV is pretty hard if you're not playing that easy type. I was playing a patched rom and I remember having to level into the 90s to play the last stretch comfortably.

I think II is harder, if only because you can walk ten feet outside the first base and get tentacle raped.

I guess I'd say II, IV, I, Tactics, then everything else.

Ryushikaze

AKA
Tim, Ryu
IIus is mocked as being so much watered down compared to the original, but easytype's even easier.

II is fun to do a naked run on.

null

Mr. Thou
AKA
null
I've only played the Famicom ROM version of II. And holy fuck was it hard.

Question: was the original US FFIV (i.e. "FFII" on the SNES) easytype, or were those two separate things? I could swear I remember that version being at least a little challenging.

Strangelove

AI Researcher
AKA
hitoshura
That's another one I put down for being too hard :sadpanda:

Also I don't know who the final characters will be and don't really want to spoil it for myself, so that isn't much help. Because now telling me what characters to give the Decant items is going to spoil it.

My user title might no longer express it, but I still don't like spoilers.

Ryushikaze

AKA
Tim, Ryu
I've only played the Famicom ROM version of II. And holy fuck was it hard.

It is. It very much is.

Question: was the original US FFIV (i.e. "FFII" on the SNES) easytype, or were those two separate things? I could swear I remember that version being at least a little challenging.

Two totally different things. Easytype has even more hand holding and broken weapons for Cecil, like the non metallic piggy stick for the metal cave.
Also, a totally different final boss.

That's another one I put down for being too hard :sadpanda:

Also I don't know who the final characters will be and don't really want to spoil it for myself, so that isn't much help. Because now telling me what characters to give the Decant items is going to spoil it.

My user title might no longer express it, but I still don't like spoilers.

You have three runs through the game. Just make sure that every character gets at least two decants in the first run through. That will unlock all the uber decants for the end game. And several crappy ones you can give folks while holding onto powerful stuff in game.

Cecil, despite his NON SPOILER- Changing into what is technically a different character stats wise- END NOT REALLY A SPOILER THANKS TO DISSIDIA, keeps his decants, so you never waste one on him.
Also, you never waste a decant on Lucien. Useful character. Especially for the final confrontation with Jebus.

Splintered

unsavory tart
So I finally got off my ass and got IV. Or at least, borrowing the DS remake.

I don't think I'm far enough to really become attached. I just got monk-guy dude. I don't particularly care for anybody except little!Rydia is kinda cute. Also, there's some unintentionally hilarious parts.

Right before I got Edward, those ships just flew on top of his kingdom, dropped the bombs, and gtfo in the most undramatic way possible. I don't think I lol'd so hard at a FF. I guess it's a direct remake of that part, but right after seeing FFIX's destruction of brumecia (playing the games at the same time), it seems like they were like "Fuck it."

Wolf Kanno

Memento Mori
It was more impressive back in the day. I love FFIV, but it certainly has not aged well and its plot, while it has some strong human themes, is also completely ridiculous. Just wait until you get the the Dwarf Kingdom and deal with Cid...

Ryushikaze

AKA
Tim, Ryu
So I finally got off my ass and got IV. Or at least, borrowing the DS remake.

I don't think I'm far enough to really become attached. I just got monk-guy dude. I don't particularly care for anybody except little!Rydia is kinda cute. Also, there's some unintentionally hilarious parts.

I assure you, plenty of those are hilarious quite on purpose.

Right before I got Edward, those ships just flew on top of his kingdom, dropped the bombs, and gtfo in the most undramatic way possible. I don't think I lol'd so hard at a FF. I guess it's a direct remake of that part, but right after seeing FFIX's destruction of brumecia (playing the games at the same time), it seems like they were like "Fuck it."

Yeah, that's kinda like going to a play and complaining about the lack of special effects. Limitations of the Medium, and all.

It was more impressive back in the day. I love FFIV, but it certainly has not aged well and its plot, while it has some strong human themes, is also completely ridiculous. Just wait until you get the the Dwarf Kingdom and deal with Cid...

FFIV was a major leap forward, though.
Also, I will not have you calling Cid ridiculous. Unless it is being used as an adverb to accentuate his awesomeness.

Top Bottom