• There are currently leaks out on the internet for FFVII Rebirth; we have received legal notice about these being posted on the forums. Do not post any images, videos, or other media, or links to them from FFVII Rebirth or the artbook. Any leaked media or links to them will be deleted.Repeat offenders will be suspended.
    Please help us out by reporting any leaks, and do not post spoilers outside of the spoiler section.

Final Fantasy II - Any Info?

Arianna

Holy, Personified
AKA
Katie; Seta.
Does the Dissidia Ultimania or the 20th Anniversary Ultimania (or whatever their real titles are) go into any depth about the story line and characters of Final Fantasy II? Much appreciated, if anyone is willing to endulge me.

:joy:

Cat Rage Room

Great Old One
AKA
Mog
It just seems that Square half heartedly shat it out and ignored it (relative to the other FF entries) since forever. It seems to be the most unlike Final Fantasy out of all of the games, even compared to the one that almost nobody played (III). It's a shame though, because I like the ideas behind the setting and plot, and I wish Square would retroactively add shit in, just to beef it up for the modern audience.

Arianna

Holy, Personified
AKA
Katie; Seta.
It just seems that Square half heartedly shat it out and ignored it (relative to the other FF entries) since forever. It seems to be the most unlike Final Fantasy out of all of the games, even compared to the one that almost nobody played (III). It's a shame though, because I like the ideas behind the setting and plot, and I wish Square would retroactively add shit in, just to beef it up for the modern audience.

Really? Reason why I ask this is because I'm playing the 20th Anniversary PSP Rebirth of Souls version now, and of course love it! The story seems fine to me, and the characters are cool. I was wondering if anything was said about it in those aforementioned books. It would be neat if there were some extra behind-the-scenes or never-before-released information and/or art that could go with it. :)

All this newest version got was a prologue FMV in usual SE grand-style; and, I'm not sure about the storyline age regarding the dead characters in II fighting the Light side of the Emperor.

As for the leveling up style - I think I like it better than the system used currently! Yeah, it takes a bit getting used to, but it does seem that it's easier to build up your character and what 'job' you want them to do/have; with leveling up characters themselves, it just seems to drag on and on and on. I have heard this sets it apart from other Final Fantasies. That and it's writer(s) went on to create another company and bring about SaGa, if I have my information correct.

Is it me or does this same leveling system seem to be the way materia works in VII?

Cat Rage Room

Great Old One
AKA
Mog
Really? Reason why I ask this is because I'm playing the 20th Anniversary PSP Rebirth of Souls version now, and of course love it! The story seems fine to me, and the characters are cool. I was wondering if anything was said about it in those aforementioned books. It would be neat if there were some extra behind-the-scenes or never-before-released information and/or art that could go with it.

I'm not saying its bad. I'm just saying Square doesn't really seem to pay too much attention to it.

The Twilight Mexican

Ex-SeeD-ingly good
AKA
TresDias
Sorry for not replying to this sooner. Just now saw it.

The U20 Scenario does, indeed, give an overview of the game's story, as well as a terms section (though it's obviously not as bloated as some of the later games' sections). I'm not sure what's of interest and what isn't, but if you have a specific inquiry, I can look into it.

As for FFII itself, it's awesome. Actually one of my favorites in the series.

Arianna

Holy, Personified
AKA
Katie; Seta.
The U20 Scenario does, indeed, give an overview of the game's story, as well as a terms section (though it's obviously not as bloated as some of the later games' sections). I'm not sure what's of interest and what isn't, but if you have a specific inquiry, I can look into it.

Well, anything about the Emperor? About the land of Palamecia? And, of course, anything special about the 'uboar' cry that the Emperor's famous for? (Thank you!)

Anzu Mazaki

Pro Adventurer
I'd love any information about the Emperor too :) He's one of my favorite characters. And I'd be interested to know if they ever mention the Mysidian Library story.

The Twilight Mexican

Ex-SeeD-ingly good
AKA
TresDias
Doesn't look like there's much to be said about the Emperor, or the Empire itself for that matter. Here's a little blurb about the Emperor at the beginning of the section for FFII:

圧倒的な軍事力で世界を破減に導く、パラメキア帝国の総帥。フリオニ―ルたちに一度は倒されるも、地獄で強大な力を得てよみがえる。

"Leader of the Palamecian Empire, whose military might is guiding the world to ruin. Defeated once by Firion's team, but gains great power in Hell and revives."

Standard stuff. There's a couple of small paragraphs about the locations in Palamecia as well, but it appears to just describe the stuff we already know (e.g., it says Palamecia Castle "can only be approached by airship," etc.).

Don't see anything on the story from the Mysidian Library.

FFII's section as a whole is kind of short and uninspiring. A disappointment, really. This game doesn't get the love it deserves.

Makoeyes987

Listen closely, there is meaning in my words.
AKA
Smooth Criminal
Palamecia is a land of demons, vampires, and assholes. There really isn't much else to say about it. :monster:

Pizzachu

SOLDIER Fan
I'm glad there is a Final Fantasy II thread. It's not my favorite game out of the series, but I think it has a lot of potential for a decent remake (even if it is like the DS remakes). Anyway, there is this person on Tumblr who is going through the novel, Final Fantasy II Muma no Meikyū, and is posting translations. I remembered reading part one maybe a year ago and ended up forgetting all about it until now. The translator is still going strong and posted one day ago that Part 2 - Chapter 5 will be uploaded on July 10th.

Here is the Tumblr index for the chapters that have been translated.

Here is a post about Mateus' mother, Aile (name written as Airu by the translator). (Slight spoilers, I guess?)

And on a completely unrelated note, here is beautiful artwork of some of the characters by Toshitaka Matsuda.

tumblr_png8gtNoKi1y03p84o1_400.png
tumblr_png8gtNoKi1y03p84o2_400.png
tumblr_png8gtNoKi1y03p84o3_400.png
tumblr_png8gtNoKi1y03p84o4_400.png

Top Bottom