• There are currently leaks out on the internet for FFVII Rebirth; we have received legal notice about these being posted on the forums. Do not post any images, videos, or other media, or links to them from FFVII Rebirth or the artbook. Any leaked media or links to them will be deleted.Repeat offenders will be suspended.
    Please help us out by reporting any leaks, and do not post spoilers outside of the spoiler section.

Final Fantasy IX

ForceStealer

Double Growth
In fact keeping up the comparison it's a wonder nobody whines about the emo / angst of Zidane. Cloud's self-doubt lasted about this long (though it felt like fucking ages) and Squall, well he was Squall and was never "emo" just "emotionally unavailable".

I always mention this when the FFIX Aggressive Defense Force talk about what a "breath of fresh air" Zidane is. He has one of the more intense "emo fits" in the series. Tidus, ironically regarded as a whiner, takes the knowledge that he doesn't exist a lot better than Zidane takes this, lol.

Last edited:

Jason Tandro

Banned
AKA
Jason Tandro, Doc Brown, Santa Christ, FearAddict, Thibault Stormrunner, RN: Micah Rodney
^ I think it's fair to say that he's markedly different in many ways: He's a lot cheerier and goofier than Cloud and Squall (cross-dressing scene notwithstanding) and that, as I mention, works to his credit in this breakdown. But again it's just odd that I hardly see anybody criticize this in the same way others do. Good point about Tidus, by the way.

Flintlock

Pro Adventurer
This'll be a port of the recent PC remaster. We were even discussing it on our most recent podcast. :monster:

Update: Holy Oglops, Batman, it releases worldwide today.

Last edited:

Lex

Administrator
Well that was a nice surprise when I was browsing facebook at work earlier.

They've skipped VIII though? Weird.

ChipNoir

Pro Adventurer
Eh. Typical Square, unhappy unless it has every game on every possible system.

Though given IX's notorious game pacing issues, that's almost tempting. But I'm not willing to buy any of the PS1 classics a fifth time.

Ami

Playing All The Stuff!
AKA
Amizon, Commander Shepard, Ellie, Rinoa Heartilly, Xena, Clara Oswald, Gamora, Lana Kane, Tifa Lockhart, Jodie Holmes, Chloe Price.
This made my YEAR. I've only bought the game twice (PS1, PSP/PS Vita), but I absolutely LOVE this one. It's my all-time favourite of the series. Just downloaded and about to play, but I just want to stay on the PS4 theme. It's gorgeous listening to it <3

Ryuman

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Pointlessname, Pointer
Well that was a nice surprise when I was browsing facebook at work earlier.

They've skipped VIII though? Weird.
I'm guessing it has to do with the lack of an iOS port to use as a base, which in turn requires them to consider it worth the effort, I guess.

Obsidian Fire

Ahk Morn!
AKA
The Engineer
Well, VIII already has a PC version. Has since the game was first made. I don't know if that makes it easier or harder to do a port.

Lex

Administrator
^Yeah, VII on PS4 is a port of the PC version (which itself is a port of the '98 PC version, which is a port of the OG - it's literally a port of a port of a port) - this might have something to do with why we had to wait a year for it from its announcement for it to be released, was potentially difficult to get it working right (and it still doesn't completely) on PS4.

VIII is built much in the same way VII was for PC, it came out in the same era and the version currently on Steam is a port of a port. Could be they decided it just wasn't worth the hassle - that or it's taking them a bit longer to do because it's more work than IX which was never released on PC. The recent mobile/ PC port is the only version of IX outside the OG so it was perhaps easier to get running on PS4?

Idk, just speculating. In theory it shouldn't be too difficult to get any PC game running on the PS4, especially the slightly older ones that don't require much power at all to run. That's one of the reasons they went with PC architecture when designing the system after all, easier development.

Vivi_Carol

Pro Adventurer
FFIX PS4 is a big disappointment. Unfortunately, all the bugs and errors that were there in the PC and mobile, carried onto ps4, and there's nothing I nor anyone else can do now.
Enjoy. :)

Fangu

Great Old One
I bought this thing because cheap, almost out of games to play (I always play like three at the time. lol.) and I never finished it back when it was the community playthrough. Like the first time I played the game, it's kind of frustrating playing it blind, but it's the only way I feel like I'm truly experiencing a game, so looking up shit is not an option, especially with old games like this. (Takes me back to my NES games. Being stuck for 5+ hours. Ah, Shadowgate.) I'm kind of finding it a bit tedious and the story feels more outdated this time as it did the last time I played it, but hey, it's a nice battle system. A nice thing to keep me occupied.

Fangu

Great Old One
So I made it to Lindblum. Excuse me, Lindbulm, as the opening screensaver whatyoucallitthingy says. Speaking of which, if you wait long enough there's an image of Zidane that pops up with the title Virtue and I nearly spat out my taco because I don't care how many puppies he saves, Zidane's still a fucking creeper :monster:

Also I played this game just last night and when I loaded the game nao I couldn't for the life of me remember what I was doing and where I was going. My brain has officially stopped working.

Lex

Administrator
Lindblum is one of those places IMO, it's an amazing locale but I don't have good memories of it because I got lost there a lot when I first played the game.

Kuja9001

Ooooh Salty!
AKA
roxas9001, Krat0s9001, DarkSlayerZero
I love watching people stream IX simply because I can go into character in the chat especially if its their first time.

Fangu

Great Old One
I have now made it past the point I stopped playing for the community playthrough. I went back and looked at that thread - what made me stop was mostly life; I was going to Malaysia for three weeks plus my bachelor thesis was coming up - that, plus I started playing Final Fantasy XII :wacky: :wacky: :wacky:

But it was also the stupid enemy spawn rate for the Black Mage Village. Luckily the PS4 has a Safe Travel feature - that being said, it also has a 9999 hit feature, which I find myself using way too often. Which means I can barely bother with Quina's blue magic... which means I am missing out. IMO they should have just left out the 9999. Safe travel, fast travel, yes please, but the other two are just way too OP. It kind of cheats you of experiencing the game mechanics as they should. I think I need to force myself to not do the 9999 thing... I mean, it's nice when you're sick of random encounters (I should turn them off instead), but it's basically not playing the game at all.

Haha and oh. I totally love Fossil Roo. Best part of the game. I love the music too. My boyfriend doesn't though. After half an hour he asked me if I could please mute, and this is a man of grand patience :lol:

Lex

Administrator
In retrospect there should never have been encounters in Fossil Roo. Thinking back to the PS1 games and their 2D backgrounds it's really weird to think about "getting lost", but it happened lots and it happened specifically because random encounters made you forget where you came from and where you were trying to go. Having to deal with them in a puzzle like Fossil Roo was just a dick move XD. Same with the Ramuh part near rinduburum.

Top Bottom