Final Fantasy Pixel Remaster Series (Mobile/Steam)

Makoeyes987

Listen closely, there is meaning in my words.
AKA
Smooth Criminal
That's good for you, but considering how these games have literally been released 10 times over the past 15 years and the peak of these remasters were circa the PSP era...

That's not encouraging or enticing at all.

Especially when ROMs with everything, including better graphics already exist. I'm so glad they tried their best to make a definitive modern remaster with even the old crew lending their talents, however their "best" was found lacking. They've seemingly misinterpreted the precise balance fans want; yes they want the classic look and feel. But those who've played these games before want the modern quality of life additions and extra content that fleshed these games out and allowed them to stand with their modern peers. This shouldn't have been an either/or situation, especially with that price tag.

So good for you that you're moved to spend. Meanwhile, I'm looking at the Advanced versions as the definitive editions that struck a balance of quality and quantity of content.

I don't think I could even play FF1 with the stupid charge system even if I wanted to. It sucks.

Last edited:

JBedford

Pro Adventurer
AKA
JBed
I played FFI on PS1 with the charge system. It was fine. It was never something that needed to be "fixed", it was just the way the game was designed.

And the remasters are adding quality of life additions. They have auto-battle. I'm not sure if they were using dash, but movement looked faster to me. Though if they don't have dash they usually have some speed up function. They've added bestiaries and maps. What's missing?

Hmm, I wonder if they'll have auto-retarget.

The omitting of the added Advance dungeons is harder to defend. It completely misses the point on what people don't like about their ports--new stuff is part of what people look forward to. It's especially bad as they're simultaneously removing the ways this extra content can be played. Though as someone who has never played that extra content, it wasn't vital for the experience.

JBedford

Pro Adventurer
AKA
JBed
Yeah, every game got new dungeons with new bosses. Some new jobs for FFV, and some other features.

FFI and FFII added gimmick dungeons for PSP.

-FFIV added the ability to switch members of the party, and gave "trials" to each party member where Lunar Eidolons (basically Dark Aeons) were fought.
-FFV expanded a character briefly mentioned in the lore for a superboss, as well as adding the four aforementioned jobs.
-FFVI added refights of the Eight Dragons and introduced the Kaiser Dragon who was a cut boss from the original.
-FFI added some dungeons that recycles bosses from the other NES/SNES games. The PSP version also added the Labyrinth of Time, which I think is some time puzzle.
-The most interesting, FFII added a post-game where the the Emperor's split soul also took over Heaven, which also allows the player to get more use out of all those characters that die. The PSP added the Arcade Labyrinth which make use of the key word system.

If they added the PSP bonus dungeons they'd have to create downgraded sprites for the new bosses.

But most of the new things just feature recoloured sprites. The thing preventing them from adding them certainly isn't the effort required.

Last edited:

Nandemoyasan

Standing guard
AKA
Johnny
You'll pardon me if I have a lot of other things to be upset about, filling up the queue

I'm not in the habit of taking out my frustrations on Japanese D&D nerds, myself. Apparently I'm not allowed to disagree with people without being raked over the coals, yes?

Ite

Save your valediction (she/her)
AKA
Ite
Auto-battle!? Listen son, back in my day if you directed too many of your troops to attack the same enemy and it died before they could all hit it, your remaining guys would swipe at the air. Back in those days, when you played D&D you declared your actions before rolling initiative, and I don't wanna hear none of you spoiled babies saying "It's no fun to suck," well have ya tried not suckin?

ahem.

Ite

Save your valediction (she/her)
AKA
Ite

The soundtrack stuff is the real news to me. Graphics, combat, dungeons, secret characters, don’t care. Uematau supervising re-arrangements and re-orchestrations piques my interest a lot. I want to know more. What soundboards are they using? Is it the same soundboard for all 6 games?

Those NES and SNES tunes that inspired generations have been remade into full-scale musical pieces that still remain faithful and pay reverence to their original counterparts, supervised by FINAL FANTASY legend Nobuo Uematsu,

Makoeyes987

AKA
Smooth Criminal
The music will definitely be the most unique and interesting addition out of all this. That's pretty incredible.

And that's why this remake series is so... Discordantly frustrating. It's like a restored classic hot rod with a freshly restored paint job, amazing rims, well made brand new tires, a modern stereo, fresh upholstery, but cracked windshields, a cheap fucking lemon engine and the car is inexplicably missing a proper transmission.

It's just.... Why.

Tetsujin

he/they
AKA
Tets
If it was up to me I'd actually keep the original samples from the SNES games, just without the compression. But that would require them to painstakingly restore the music with the original hardware which would likely be more effort than just recording new arrangements on current hardware :monster:

But man, I've been falling down the rabbit hole of Youtube enthusiasts piecing together oldass SNES and Mega Drive music with the original uncompressed samples and stuff sounds so good.

Just listen to this for example:

Original:

Uncompressed:

Would be sick to get an original but uncompressed FFVI soundtrack.

Nandemoyasan

Standing guard
AKA
Johnny
The music will definitely be the most unique and interesting addition out of all this. That's pretty incredible.

And that's why this remake series is so... Discordantly frustrating. It's like a restored classic hot rod with a freshly restored paint job, amazing rims, well made brand new tires, a modern stereo, fresh upholstery, but cracked windshields, a cheap fucking lemon engine and the car is inexplicably missing a proper transmission.

It's just.... Why.

To be perfectly blunt, your metaphor's priorities are inverted.

I would say that it is more like it has a state of the art engine perfectly up to spec, a transmission that was built by NASCAR Pit Crews, a windshield that could withstand a bowling ball being dropped on it, but with weird upholstery, sub-standard speakers in the stereo and the cheapest tires they could find. I think it's got it where it counts; there are things cosmetically wrong with it that are not that bad, and I think everyone is just used to crapping on SE by this point (a well earned reputation, might I add, SE!!) to the point where they're all more than ready to jump down their collective throats about this before we've even seen one finished product in action.

Yes it would be nice to have bonus features. Yes the font looks like someone just learned how to use Quark XPress. Yes the placement of the HUDs are weird and wtf-ish. But I still will, and I cannot stress this enough,

Trade it for the mishmash of different versions of these games available that all have their own irritating problems also, ANY DAY OF THE WEEK.

Makoeyes987

AKA
Smooth Criminal
I mean I can get behind that analogy too :monster:

I suppose it just depends on where one's priorities lie.

If it was up to me I'd actually keep the original samples from the SNES games, just without the compression. But that would require them to painstakingly restore the music with the original hardware which would likely be more effort than just recording new arrangements on current hardware :monster:

But man, I've been falling down the rabbit hole of Youtube enthusiasts piecing together oldass SNES and Mega Drive music with the original uncompressed samples and stuff sounds so good.

Just listen to this for example:

Original:

Uncompressed:

Would be sick to get an original but uncompressed FFVI soundtrack.

Holy shit, the difference is phenomenal. @__@

Burger Kloud

Lv. 1 Adventurer
AKA
piyo!
What's up with this font? Also, so small and not filling the whole text box >:(

E5JIEIBVoAMg200
That looks straight out of RPGMaker. Christ.

Top Bottom