Final Fantasy Tactics Community Playthrough

ForceStealer

Double Growth
AKA "Hello to a Legend"

j6zK7nA.png

Welcome! This is the thread for all discussion of the first TLS Community Playthrough of 2017! And yes, we well be playing through Final Fantasy Tactics together. This is very likely my second-favorite game of all time and arguably the ultimate implementation of the FF Job System. It represents Yasumi Matsuno's debut as a game director for Squaresoft and introduced us to the world of Ivalice. This world later contained games such as Vagrant Story, Final Fantasy Tactics Advance and A2, and of course, Final Fantasy XII. All of these games have involved Yasumi Matsuno as director, Akihiko Yoshida as character designer, and Hitoshi Sakimoto composing the music. In addition to this being good simply based on these three being good at their jobs, it does give the games a familiar feel, even though they are not very closely connected to one another.

This game isn't easy. I don't think it's brutal or anything, but the "tactics" in the title isn't there for show. Fortunately, Omega/Kimble has posted a handy tip guide here, and don't be afraid to ask questions here. He or I will be happy to help.

Now, for the details:

How do I take part?

I've divided the game into 13 or so chapters of roughly 3 or 4 hours apiece. I will post the next chapter every five days. As so many of you are playing this for the first time, and it's a bit nontraditional, I'm thinking the first chapter (which you will find below) will go until this coming Monday to allow everyone to scope around and get a feel for the game's systems.

You should endeavor to reach the listed target by the date shown, and here you can post your thoughts, as well as respond to discussion questions that I will prepare. That said, you can complete them at any time, if you wish to play ahead or if you fall behind that's not a problem. But as Flint observed last year, the better you stick with us the higher the chances of you playing the game to completion.

Also, as with previous playthroughs, we've usually had a Saturday afternoon hangout/stream of the week's chapters so you can watch at a semi-convenient time for NA and Europe if you are unable to play with us. We'll work out the logistics of this later.

How do I get the game

Okay, now this gets a bit complex. There are two versions of this game. The first was released for Playstation 1 in 1997. This version is available, obviously, for Playstation on CD, PS3 and PSP from the PSN Store (for $10 in the US), and emulator.

The second is Final Fantasy Tactics: The War of the Lions which is a remake for the PSP released in 2007. This version is available on PSP (per Lith it is $10 on the Square Enix store), as well as iOS/Android. If you have a tablet I think that version could be viable, but I don't think I would want to play it on cell phone.

What are the differences? Well there are several, the biggie is the retranslation. The original translation was contemporary with FF7's but I would say it came out even worse. The new translation matches the Shakespearean tone of the story with a pseudo-Victorian voice. Some Tactics purists don't like it, I think it's phenomenal. Additionally, important cutscenes previously done in-engine have been voiced and pre-rendered in gorgeous living-painting-styled cell shaded graphics.

If you don't have either version and are trying to decide, some advantages of the original are as follows:
  • The game is easier as JP Costs for most job abilities are lower. This may help you keep pace with the playthrough if you were concerned about that.
  • This version lacks stutter/slowdown that the remake mysteriously picked up, especially just as a magic spell casts. I honestly didn't notice it, but watching side by side there's no doubt about it.

The advantages of War of the Lions version are:
  • The original Japanese difficulty if that's important to you.
  • Additional content including new battles and sidequests, two new jobs (Dark Knight and Onion Knight), and new characters - specifically cameos from later games in Ivalice.
  • There are two Multiplayer modes that are only accessible from the PSP version and local only. But if you happen to be playing with a friend in person, they're actually quite rewarding.
  • The aforementioned voiced and prerendered cutscenes and the retranslation. The retranslation included some name changes and fixed the names of several job classes (Wizard>Black Mage, Priest>White Mage, Lancer>Dragoon, etc.). And just as an example here is a non-spoilery excerpt of the two translations that I think effectively illustrates the difference:

PS1:
A: Who do you think you are!? We're not animals! We're
human, just like you! There's no difference among us other
than our families! You ever been hungry? With only soup to eat
for months? Why do we have to suffer? Because you nobles
deprive us our right to live!

B: Human? Hmph, ridiculous! From the minute you were born
you had to obey us! From the second you were born you were our
animals!!

A: Says who!? That's nonsense! Who decided all this?!

B: It's the Will of Heaven!

A: Heaven? God would never say such things! In his eyes,
all are equal! He'd never let this happen! Never!

B: Animals have no God!!

A: !!!!

War of the Lions:
A: How can you nobles live as you do and yet hold your heads so high? We
are not chattel! We are humans, no less than you! What flaw do you hold there
to be in us? That we were born between a different set of walls? Do you know
what it means to hunger? To sup for months on naught but broth of bean? Why
must we be made to starve that you might grow fat? You call us thieves, but it
is you who steal from us the right to live!

B: You, no less human than we? Ha! Now there's a beastly thought. You've
been less than we from the moment your baseborn father fell upon your mother in
whatever gutter saw you sired! You've been chattel since you came into the
world drenched in common blood!

A: By whose decree!? Who decides such foul and absurd things?

B: 'Tis heaven's will!

A: Heaven's will? You would pin your bigotry on the gods? No god would
fain forgive such sin, much less embrace it! All men are equal in the eyes of
the gods!

B: Men, yes. But the gods have no eyes for chattel.

A: You speak of devils, not gods!

So there you have it, regardless of which copy you have, or which decision you make, the games aren't so different that you can't play along. I will personally be playing War of the Lions, but the number of chapters or major story events won't change.

How do I set up an emulator

If you want to emulate the original version, I use ePSXe. Here is the site with the downloads, simply click the applicable version, likely for Windows or Mac OSX. Once you have that, the instructions here outline the setup. Note that the two things you will need are PSX BIOS, and the Tactics .iso file. We can't directly link to those, but a google search took me to them pretty reliably, and you can PM me if you require additional help. But when you download those things, just place them in the folder for the emulator and follow the instructions to open them.

(If people are using a different PS1 emulator these days, feel free to let me know.)

If you would prefer to emulate the War of the Lions version, a good PSP emulator is PPSSPP. This can be downloaded here (again, select either the Windows version or Mac OSX, depending on your computer). You will not need a BIOS for this, simply the .iso file for War of the Lions. Again, PM me if you have trouble finding it.

In both cases, place the .iso in the same folder as the emulator for ease, open the emulator and run it from the menus. The menus will also allow you to set your controls and mess with other settings.

Where are the chapters

I will update this post with links to each chapter as their posted. The first chapter will be my next post.

1. 'Tis your birth and faith that wrong you, not I
2. But when the pillars of that life came crashing down, I did not stand and watch them fall
3. Are you friend or foe?
4. The Legend of the Zodiac Braves
5. A man cannot prosecute a war on his own
6. I played my part, yet still Ivalice runs red with blood
7. It is -power- that rules Ivalice
8. A beast of legend - the Holy Dragon
9. The wind bears it onward now
10. Do I look like someone familiar?
11. We have a score to settle from Riovanes
12. Now know regret, a traitor's recompense
13. But I do know this: The true hero of this tale was the man forgotten.

Thanks to Pixel for throwing that banner together for me on short notice!

Last edited:

ForceStealer

Double Growth
Chapter 1: 'Tis your birth and faith that wrong you, not I

Time: Wednesday Feb 1 to Monday Feb 6

Target: When you reach the cutscene pictured below, after the battle in Dorter Trade City.

ijpzlwx.png

As I said above, I'm allowing a bit more time for this chapter to allow everyone get set up and acclimated to the game. If you all power through and are ready to go sooner than that, then we could do that too. After this we'll start going on the 2 chapters per week pace.

I would highly recommend before reaching Dorter Trade City that you have some job classes like Knight and Black Mage. If you go in with all Squires it probably won't go well for you. This battle is an infamous difficulty spike for newbies. You will likely have to fight some random battles. (Remember as Omega said in his tip thread, your level is less important than your job abilities.) When dots on the world map are green, there is a % chance of encountering a battle when you pass over it. You will have two such locations available to you before Dorter.

I would recommend prioritizing getting all the non-guest characters on your party JP Boost as soon as possible (It's a Squire passive skill - the little curved arrow icon in the ability screen - remember to Assign/Set it after you unlock it!). One other tip to keep in mind is that if anyone on the party is earning JP for a given job, the rest of the participating party will also earn a fraction for that job.

Discussion:
  • What are your first gameplay impressions?
  • And what about your early impressions of the characters? They spit a lot of names at you and that doesn’t get much easier, but I’m sure that will be no trouble to you Game of Thrones types. :monster:
  • Did you read any Rumors at a Tavern?
  • Did you struggle with Dorter? What’s your primary party makeup looking like after this first chapter?

Again, feel free to post any questions you have while playing. Good luck!

Last edited:

Joker

We have come to terms
AKA
Godot
I personally prefer the WotL translation, but the vanilla PS1 gameplay is what I like more. War of the Lions' biggest flaw is that a lot of the best gear can only be gotten through multiplayer (unless they changed that for the mobile versions).

ForceStealer

Double Growth
You guys suck, I haven't even ordered a copy of War of the Lions yet.

You'd best get on that then! :monster:

I personally prefer the WotL translation, but the vanilla PS1 gameplay is what I like more. War of the Lions' biggest flaw is that a lot of the best gear can only be gotten through multiplayer (unless they changed that for the mobile versions).

True, but all of that gear is new, they didn't lock away any gear you used to be able to get without it. I actually only did the multiplayer for the first time a year ago, so I never had trouble beating the game without it.

And yes, on the mobile version, all the multiplayer gear is unlocked after you beat the game, it just all shows up in the Poacher's Den.

lithiumkatana17

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Lith
Nevermind, I thought the sale price of War of the Lions was $9.99, it is now apparently $7.99 for a physical copy. Gonna order it here in a little bit.

Fangu

Great Old One
I wish I could pay for the copy of War of Lions I'll be playing, but I don't have a PSP or a Vita :(

ForceStealer

Double Growth
Yeah I wish that version would get ported around more. Steam would make perfect sense. Still, I especially think WotL is the version that the hardcore XII fans should play :P

Russell

.. ? ..
AKA
King of the Potato People
Dug out my PSP and charging it up now. :monster:

I ain't missing this playthrough. :wacky:

Strangelove

AI Researcher
AKA
hitoshura
i will be playing the japanese version because i am going to be 'that guy' but i am interested in seeing the wotl translation compared to the original text as well

will have to get everything set up and working soon

Ite

Save your valediction (she/her)
AKA
Ite
I'll be playing my PS1 version because, well, it's the version I have.

ForceStealer

Double Growth
Dug out my PSP and charging it up now. :monster:

I ain't missing this playthrough. :wacky:

:yay:

i will be playing the japanese version because i am going to be 'that guy' but i am interested in seeing the wotl translation compared to the original text as well

will have to get everything set up and working soon

Oh cool, I'll be very interested in hearing any of your observations, or making some direct comparisons. The example I put in opening post between original localization and WotL didn't highlight any change in meanings, just a huge step up in flavor. So it'll be cool to hear what he Japanese version is like. (Seriously though, "from the moment your baseborn father fell upon your mother in whatever gutter saw you sired" is a hell of a line.)

Claymore

3x3 Eyes
Yeah I wish that version would get ported around more. Steam would make perfect sense. Still, I especially think WotL is the version that the hardcore XII fans should play :P

:O

I don't know why I thought this was on Steam ... why the heck isn't this on Steam?!

Flintlock

Pro Adventurer
Because Square Enix. :monster:

The mobile version will probably be ported eventually, but god only knows when.

Claymore

3x3 Eyes
Hhm. Just quickly checked out the reviews on the mobile port. Think I'll just stick to emulating this.

Flintlock

Pro Adventurer
This event is now frontpaged. I'm not sure anyone has ever signed up to our forum specifically because we've advertised a playthrough, but you never know... it makes us look more active, at least.

Joker

We have come to terms
AKA
Godot
True, but all of that gear is new, they didn't lock away any gear you used to be able to get without it. I actually only did the multiplayer for the first time a year ago, so I never had trouble beating the game without it.
oh

I thought that was how you got the Ultimate Javelin and Gold Escutcheon and stuff now. If you can get things like that and Robe of Lords, etc, then hell yeah WotL it up

ForceStealer

Double Growth
Nope, those first two things are still in Nelveska Temple. And the Robe of Lords IS in the multiplayer, but it's also still in Midlight's Deep/Deep Dungeon :monster:

Flare

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Flare
So...I happen to have like $30 on PSN from gift cards......

But would the game play on a PS4?

Top Bottom