Final Fantasy Versus XIII

Dumb Apple

Soul Wrought of Terra Corrupt
AKA
Geostigma, Omega Gist
Because it was originally advertised as a game for the PS3. A lot of people bought the console expecting a series of FF titles, of which Versus was one.

And they got the most disliked piece of shit SE has made in return. And sequels no one asked for.

So after 7 years of waiting, SE announces they want us to shell another $400+ to play the title they promised their customers?? FUCK NO!

This. Only I'll probably shell out for a PS4 for Versus. :'( I'm that kind of the consumer, who will purchase a console for a highly coveted titled [looking at you, Ocarina of Time 3DS].

AvecAloes

Donator
Ok, but I imagine you'd be just as pissed that you'd bought a PS3 just for Versus if Versus turned out to suck.

I just don't understand why the idea of Versus coming out on the PS4 is really such a horrific idea. Surely the people who bought a PS3 "for the promise of FF games" have in fact used their PS3 for other games and/or media...and there will surely be FF games released on the PS4, Versus or not, so...why wouldn't people buy it?

The Twilight Mexican

Ex-SeeD-ingly good
AKA
TresDias
I wouldn't buy it on the PS4 for precisely the reasons OWD covered, as well as the fact that knowing Versus was going to be a PS3-exclusive was a tipping point for me in wanting the PS3 more than the 360. While a PS3, a 360 and a Wii all do now sit in my house anyway (the 360 is my daughter's, though), as an at least marginally responsible consumer, I don't intend to forgive dishonest business practices.

Last edited:

Carlie

CltrAltDelicious
AKA
Chloe Frazer
Thank you SE for announcing a future announcement and not showing real time demos like other people because that's just crazy.

Lex

Administrator
Well, the Agni's Philosophy demo was running in real time on PS4, so at least it showed what it's capable of.

Still though, SE were disappointing as always.

Zee

wangxian married
AKA
Zee
i have no idea which was funnier, that demo or the awkward, scattered clapping afterwards.

ForceStealer

Double Growth
It's ridiculous that they haven't gotten the game out in so long, yes. But even if you really bought PS3 just for that game, if you didn't get any enjoyment out of the system, you haven't been paying attention.

I have no intentions of rushing out to buy the PS4. But when I eventually get one, if Versus is out, and it looks good, I'll get it.

Hypothetical for you, Tres, what if they rebrand it as FFXV?

AvecAloes

Donator
I wouldn't buy it on the PS4 for precisely the reasons OWD covered, as well as the fact that knowing Versus was going to be a PS3-exclusive was a tipping point for me in wanting the PS3 more than the 360. While a PS3, a 360 and a Wii all do now sit in my house anyway (the 360 is my daughter's, though), as an at least marginally responsible consumer, I don't intend to forgive dishonest business practices.

So even though the game could be a lot better on the PS4 than it would have been on the PS3, you won't buy it because they took too long to release the game. That, to me, is ridiculous. I know Square hasn't exactly been a shining star lately, but geez. You buy Square's stupidly overpriced and poorly made mobile games, but you'll draw the line at Versus?

At least just wait and see if the game looks good when it comes out, people, then decide if you'll buy it or not. Declaring "I'll never get this game because I was lied to about when it would come out!" is dumb, especially if it turns out to be a good game. Don't miss a good game because you're too busy licking wounds.

Arianna

Holy, Personified
AKA
Katie; Seta.
At least just wait and see if the game looks good when it comes out, people, then decide if you'll buy it or not. Declaring "I'll never get this game because I was lied to about when it would come out!" is dumb, especially if it turns out to be a good game. Don't miss a good game because you're too busy licking wounds.

Well, in all honesty, SE did lie. They did engage in some unsavory business tactics with their advertising. That said, it is enough to drive some people away for good. Sometimes I wish I had that strength, but I really like the products. :P

Arianna

Holy, Personified
AKA
Katie; Seta.
I don't think they blatantly intended to deceive people, though.

Possibly. I don't know what to think, personally. As said, I won't miss a game if it looks interesting; still, I think what they did has changed at least some of the demographic, for good.

OneWingedDemon

NOT AMUSED
So even though the game could be a lot better on the PS4 than it would have been on the PS3, you won't buy it because they took too long to release the game. That, to me, is ridiculous.
It’s not ridiculous at all. Versus has not been delayed because it’s being made BETTER or because the PS3 just didn’t have the capabilities to achieve their vision. That’s bull. They just took so long lying through their teeth and making stupid decision after stupid decision, that by the time anything got started, the next motherfucking gen consoles came out. That’s not speaking to its quality at all.

It's not about licking wounds. Personally, if it comes out on the PS4 (which is looking more likely) I’m not rushing out to get it. Mainly because I can’t afford it and there’s a million games to play on the PS3 still. I’m happy with my PS3. It will piss me off that I won’t be able to play a product they promised to deliver on the console I did shell out for, yeah, so that’s going to make me even less likely to buy it when it comes out.

Am I going to play it? Yes. But likely pre-owned and probably much later. I can’t believe that you find it ridiculous players would react negatively to a company’s shitty management and decision-making, and flat out deception techniques. Really? It’s ridiculous? What’s ridiculous is eating SE’s bullshit steaming fresh out of their assholes and being ok with waiting 7 -8 years for a game, or being charged for endings to shitty games (which are never delivered anyway). That’s what’s ridiculous. Anger seems like a perfectly acceptable response to me and one that should probably be expected. Having said that, I do sincerely hope that Versus is awesome and all that I hoped it would be.

Believe it or not though, if you piss off your fan-base, it doesn’t matter what you’re selling.

EDIT: Personally I hope they re-brand it as FF15 to disassociate it from any shit that's come before it. Seems fitting if it's to be on the new console anyway.

Last edited:

The Twilight Mexican

Ex-SeeD-ingly good
AKA
TresDias
Hypothetical for you, Tres, what if they rebrand it as FFXV?

It would still be the same game. :monster: I mean, I don't think anybody's still looking for Agito XIII.

Actually, every fan who doesn't live in Japan is technically still looking for it, but you know what I mean.

So even though the game could be a lot better on the PS4 than it would have been on the PS3, you won't buy it because they took too long to release the game. That, to me, is ridiculous. I know Square hasn't exactly been a shining star lately, but geez. You buy Square's stupidly overpriced and poorly made mobile games, but you'll draw the line at Versus?

It has nothing to do with how long the game has taken to come out or when we were told it would be released (because we've never been given an estimate for that in the first place). "They pushed the release date back to refine a couple of things" is quite different from "they switched over to a console you don't own after seven years of empty promises."

It was billed as a PS3 title from the start. People expected it would be, and had every reason to expect that.

I'm fortunate that I don't have to miss out on any games that are/were exclusive to XBox. At least beyond not having enough hours in the day to play all that I'd like to.

But I can still be offended over being misled, and I can still be offended on behalf of the people I know who only have the PS3, having gotten it in part because Versus was supposed to be coming to it.

When the game comes out, if it looks good and gets rave reviews, I'll either rent, borrow or buy it from someone at that point. But I'm not giving SE a dime.

As for their mobile games, I've only played Airborne Brigade. I do intend to get Tactics: War of the Lions when it becomes available, but that's different.

Zee

wangxian married
AKA
Zee
So even though the game could be a lot better on the PS4 than it would have been on the PS3, you won't buy it because they took too long to release the game. That, to me, is ridiculous

man, versus is practically an urban legend at this point. (shit, i was in fucking high school when this was announced.) it's got nothing to do with impatience -- in fact, fans have been beyond patient. the fact that there's even a core group that's still hyped for this says a lot.

but let's face it, there's nothing that's going to be go massively improved by it being on a next gen console except their precious graphics.

Last edited:

Fangu

Great Old One
man, versus is practically an urban legend at this point.
qft.

I want a brand new universe for XV. Not some game that's been in development for 7 YEARS. They can release Versus for all I care but NOT as XV. If Versus turns out to be XV I'm gonna be severly pissed. And I rarely get emotional over stuff like this; I used to read a comic book that was 'going to be a movie' for 15 years, so I know not to let stuff like this get to me.

Pixel

The Pixie King
I doubt it'll be released as FFXV. If they're having to try to make it feel like more of an FF title before even showing it off, then it that says alot. It seems like what Spirits within was to final fantasy, and im sure they dont want that again.

Looks like an interesting story, but if it plays like KH with timed combat crap like XIII-2, then it's not my idea of what Final Fantasy should be.

AvecAloes

Donator
Being upset that the game isn't out yet isn't what I'm calling ridiculous. The vehement denial of the possibility of even giving it a shot if/when it comes out on the next console is what I think is ridiculous. Going along with what Force said, if someone bought a PS3 with the intent of being able to play Versus and hasn't gotten any enjoyment out of it over the years, they're doing gaming wrong.

Sure, I would have loved to play Versus during the PS3's heyday. But I'm looking forward to playing it, whenever it comes out, on whichever console. I will not be buying a PS4 when it comes out, regardless of which games are slated to be for it. Did Square mess up? Yeah. Do I have a lot of faith in them right now? Not really, especially after their paltry showing at the PS4 release conference. But I'm still looking forward to their next games, Versus included.

That said, I hope they don't rebrand it as XV.

Also, Tres, if I didn't already have War of the Lions for PSP, I'd totally buy it for my phone. You're right, that's completely different. We know that's a great game with an awesome translation/update, whereas their completely new mobile games have been largely unimpressive and unimaginative. I wasn't meaning to take a swipe at you with that comment, just trying to convey that I found a bit of disconnect between willingly buying their crappy mobile games but denying that you'd buy what could be a good game.

The Twilight Mexican

Ex-SeeD-ingly good
AKA
TresDias
Going along with what Force said, if someone bought a PS3 with the intent of being able to play Versus and hasn't gotten any enjoyment out of it over the years, they're doing gaming wrong.

I don't think anyone has said this, though. The truth is, I currently own more PS3 titles than I have time to even play, much less time to worry about a title on a new console.

I love my PS3. Chances are good I would have made the decision to buy it with or without Versus XIII. It has a lot of greatness to offer.

Yet much of that greatness has nothing to do with Square Enix. The incentive they promised me in making the purchase has never materialized, and apparently never will. Follow me on this: Versus XIII may come along, but the incentives SE promised us in making the purchase of the PS3 never will.

This isn't like when we bought PS1s or PS2s over an XBox or whatever else and got three exclusive FF titles per system. We literally got nothing from SE on this front. I played XIII and XIII-2. On my daughter's 360. Because she wanted them anyway.

Don't misunderstand: I'm glad XIII went multi-platform. But to go back on all their promises for an entire console generation and actually screw us out of a game without purchasing a new console? Fuck 'em. Plain and simple. Just fuck 'em.

Tl;dr: War of the Lions for Android looks awesome, especially since I never played the PSP release. I'm buying that instead.

Last edited:
Top Bottom