• There are currently leaks out on the internet for FFVII Rebirth; we have received legal notice about these being posted on the forums. Do not post any images, videos, or other media, or links to them from FFVII Rebirth or the artbook. Any leaked media or links to them will be deleted.Repeat offenders will be suspended.
    Please help us out by reporting any leaks, and do not post spoilers outside of the spoiler section.

Final Fantasy VI

Murasame

Rookie Adventurer
I only just managed to finish FFVI for the first time a few days ago and aside from the ungodly loading times it's definitely my favourite in the series.

As for the censor thing the stupidest part definitely had to be
Celes trying to commit suicide if you let Cid die, we ended up getting something like "Yup, if someone ever felt down they'd go jump off that cliff!"
how stupid do they think we are? :P

RyougaSaotome

Rookie Adventurer
I always thought that scene was hilarious in the SNES version, just because it makes no sense whatsoever to anyone not familiar with the material.

ForceStealer

Double Growth
[quote author=Suzaku link=topic=284.msg12633#msg12633 date=1233354685]I honestly don't want a DS port of FFVI. PSP, console, whatever, sure. If they're going to make a remake, I want to see it as more than just the original SD characters in 3D with camera work and voice acting. Dissidia constantly reminds me of how much better a FFIV remake could've been.[/quote]

Totally agree. I'm currently playing the GBA FF4 and having a lot of fun with it. But my gf is playign the DS version and I finally got to see it. And, it's cool and all, but like you said, after seeing Cecil in Dissidia I really wish it could have looked like that.

With FF6 especially, if a remake is done, I want to see it in good graphics. At least, better than DS graphics. Yeah yeah, graphics don't make the game, but FF6 itself has already proven that, what's wrong with wanting to see it in CG glory?

Ⓐaron

Factiō Rēpūblicāna dēlenda est.
AKA
The Man, V
Yeah, I'd much rather see a remake of FFVI in at least PS2-quality graphics, if not better.

Dark and Divine

Pro Adventurer
AKA
D&D
Maybe they'll do it for PSP?

If they done the remakes of FFI and FFII to the PSP and the remakes of FFIII and FFIV for DS, maybe they'll do the FFV and FFVI remakes for PSP.

Dawnbreaker

~The Other Side of Fear~
Agreed, also. I'd rather a PSP remake of FFIV than a DS remake of it, though I'd buy either, really. I'm such a whore to SE. xD But I really liked DS FIV, flaws and all. I also hope they make a remake of FFV since I never could get that blasted GBA port to work. :s

Unit-01

Might be around.
AKA
Sic, Anthony
So first off BUMP. And Spoilers if you haven't already played this game.

I just beat FFVI on Steam and I really must say I enjoyed the game a lot, much more than I did VIII.

I understand now why Kefka is considered the greatest villain in FF, and his boss fight was pretty long, hell the entire Kefka Tower section was one long grind and puzzle.

So my thoughts on the game are that, I enjoyed the story quite a lot(even the ending where the 3 optional characters don't make it back on the airship), I liked the job system and the way combat and abilities are handled. As for getting your characters stats up, it took me a while to realize that only when you have an Esper that gives a permanent stat bonus will your characters actual stats go up, and leveling before Espers isn't the smartest thing to do. Besides that I managed to get Terra, Edgar, and Locke(in that order) to 99 with Terra having maxed magic and Edgar maxed Strength, and Locke like 90 in both Strength and Speed(which I learned was quite useless). Of course I found out about the master scroll + ultima weapon + Genji gloves + 9999hp = Breaking the game, even so I only had it with Locke so at the end there only his party could 1 attack kill the MANY Random encounters that went on. Literally take 2 steps and you're fighting something else, it was getting a bit ridiculous.

As of in my game file I have like 32 hours put into the game, and I still need to clear the Dragon's Den and Soul Shrine, I also haven't gotten all of Strago's lores or Gau's rages(not even close).

But overall I was hooked on FFVI from the moment I started playing it, as I played it on the weekends and I only got it on the 27th.

I think I might do the other content as mentioned above, but I also did buy IV and AfterYears because it was 50% off on Steam, and I played a small amount of it and already think I'll enjoy that one.

But for anyone who hasn't played FFVI, you owe it to yourself to play it at least once, it was really good.

Kudo

時間GOD
AKA
Moona, Yuuxi/Yuuki
But for anyone who hasn't played FFVI, you owe it to yourself to play it at least once, it was really good.

This x10000000.
First time I played FFVI was about 5 years ago, and it's left a huge lasting impression on me ever since. It's honestly what even motivated me to play the other FFs pre-FFVII.

Bump for Celes.

Torrie

astray ay-ay-ay
FF6 is another game I've always only known in theory, but I'm currently watching dansg08's playthrough and this game makes me happy beyond belief. The pixelated graphics bring out nostalgic feelings, the music is wonderful, the number of playable characters is insane but somehow it serves the story well so far. And the most important thing: the humour! I didn't expect the game to have so many comedy aspects. Loving it! Loving it so much!

Ite

Save your valediction (she/her)
AKA
Ite
I've never played FF6, what would be the best version to play. I have a GBA, PS1 emulator, and steam.

No question the GBA version. The PS1 version has inexplicable lag between screens and the Steam version looks like an iPhone emoji monster swallowed everything and then smoothly pooped it back out. I think there’s a mod that might restore the old graphics, if not don’t bother.

This isn’t nostalgia talking by the way, I never had an SNES and didn’t play the old games until later in life. FFVI is an absolute masterpiece of video game storytelling. The pixel art is crisp and vivid, and the music is second to none. You’re going to enjoy the hell out of it.

ForceStealer

Double Growth
I personally take the PS1's lag over the GBA's lousy soundchip and less memorable translation (and the Steam version is downright criminal). But as the best of all worlds requires some modding and patches, the GBA is probably the best bet for experience and ease.

Ite

AKA
Ite
I personally take the PS1's lag over the GBA's lousy soundchip and less memorable translation (and the Steam version is downright criminal). But as the best of all worlds requires some modding and patches, the GBA is probably the best bet for experience and ease.

Shocking that there exists no perfect version of this game. I forgot that the GBA has the bland translation (Woolsey’s translation is so damn colourful!) Even the SNES emulators (which I used) have weird sound issues (e.g the wind sounds like moaning zombies). And the SNES UI is one thing that really hasn’t aged well. I’m gonna see if ppl fixed the Steam Version. Hang tight.

Also, this is an epic bump. I lol’d at your hatred of the final dungeon, Force, as iirc you love character-swapping dungeons. And someone mentioned “3” optional characters, and without spoiling anything for newbs I will just say that with a few exceptions, every character is optional — it’s possible to lose almost everyone at one point or another, and never get them back. And yes, it affects the ending. It’s one of the ballsiest things to do in a narrative-driven game like FF. One character can abandon you during random battles!!

Prism

Pro Adventurer
AKA
pikpixelart
What is the general reason for preference towards the GBA version? Is it related to issues with gameplay alterations? Since the GBA-onward translation is usually not preferred.
GBA it is. Looks like im going ROM hunting later. Any suggestions on a site.
I have a computer with nearly every ROM from multiple generations on it, gathered before the big N went on their anti-ROM crusade. Do you still need it, or did you find it?

Prism

Pro Adventurer
AKA
pikpixelart
Ah, that is good to know. I haven't played the GBA version, but that has me interested. (new content doesn't always have a perfect track record of going over well in every case, as the Chrono Trigger DS additional content has caused some controversy and mixed opinons - but the new content added to VI seems pretty well praised)

This is... actually a very accurate description.
Ite's description rings definitely true. And as a pixel artist specifically, seeing Square do that to their classic games multiple times is highly comparable to torture.

I do not have it yet waiting to hear back on steam version
Alright, sounds good. I've got it stored on my computer if you need it. Though I wonder if me posting a ROM on the Lifestream is just asking for trouble. ...Does anyone know anything about that? Would I be hit with a pretty hard b& hammer?

Ite

AKA
Ite
Okay wow so restoring the original low-pixel backgrounds hasn't been done yet. A mod has fixed the sprites which looks... better, but still lacking, and somewhat jarring on the higher resolution backgrounds. The mod guide that will get you this "classic" preset also removes some of the mobile UI from the Steam game, like finger buttons.... (why was it there to begin with???) and restores the Oswald-type font instead of the extra-bold-Nunito paste (lol what can I say? Font is part of presentation). It's still the GBA retranslation and not Woolsey, booo. The combat UI is also weird, with TABS. What? Ugh I don't think I've ever taken this close of a look at the Steam release and everything I am seeing makes me hurt.

While I still don't think it's sufficient to topple the SNES version, here is the Steam Guide if any future ppl are interested:

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=591798883

(forgive me I usually mod games using nexus not steam so I had a hard time finding this and I don't even know if I did it properly.... XD )

tl;dr - Prism, you're up!

The Twilight Mexican

Ex-SeeD-ingly good
AKA
TresDias
Though I wonder if me posting a ROM on the Lifestream is just asking for trouble. ...Does anyone know anything about that? Would I be hit with a pretty hard b& hammer?
Don't directly upload it to the site or link to it from this thread, please, but otherwise what you do is what you do.

Reactions: Ite

ForceStealer

Double Growth
I lol’d at your hatred of the final dungeon, Force, as iirc you love character-swapping dungeons.

lol
tenor.gif

Okay wow so restoring the original low-pixel backgrounds hasn't been done yet. A mod has fixed the sprites which looks... better, but still lacking, and somewhat jarring on the higher resolution backgrounds. The mod guide that will get you this "classic" preset also removes some of the mobile UI from the Steam game, like finger buttons.... (why was it there to begin with???) and restores the Oswald-type font instead of the extra-bold-Nunito paste (lol what can I say? Font is part of presentation). It's still the GBA retranslation and not Woolsey, booo. The combat UI is also weird, with TABS. What? Ugh I don't think I've ever taken this close of a look at the Steam release and everything I am seeing makes me hurt.
Exactly. Everyone's like "You can mod it, it's fine." And, no, it still looks like shit modded. And that mobile UI for combat :sickmonster: I hate everything about that Steam port. I guess the enemy sprites look good, that's the only positive thing I can say about it.
The FFV Steam port is butt-ugly too, but with it's less distinctive art style, it's slightly less of a crime than VI's. (But still, play the GBA version of V.)

As I've plugged before, I'm a huge fan of this mod of the SNES ROM: https://www.romhacking.net/hacks/1386/
It's the OG SNES ROM, so good music and no lag. They clean up obvious errors in the translation, and do stuff like match the text to the opera music and such, but all changes adhere to Woolsey's tone. You get the modern FF trappings of spell and monster and item names, and the character's job classes. Bug fixes, uncensored enemy sprites and scenes. I know it lacks the optional dungeons from GBA and Steam, but it is the ultimate version as far as I'm concerned.

Top Bottom