FINAL FANTASY VII – iOS Launch Trailer

There you have it. :monster:

I *think* this trailer, except uploaded on a different Square Enix account (the one above is from the North American account), has been linked to before but I can't remember where.

Lex

Administrator
Wait, what? Available now? Not on my app store it's not.

Also that trailer looks familiar because it's the exact same trailer that was used for the Playstation Experienced when they announced the PS4 port. Only the text has changed slightly.

I mean we need to do a front page announcement for this. Even though it pains me.

According to reddit the game has appeared in New Zealand and will come to the US after midnight. In other words, the launch trailer appeared today on August 19 but the game itself doesn't arrive until August 20.

Lex

Administrator
I've read that it'll appear with the next app store update, which is 11pm in the US. I have no idea when it's going to appear anywhere else (almost 6pm UK time here).

Sigh. I'll be getting it. I think I've bought every release of this game. Ever.

Teioh

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Teiocho
kotaku is reporting that it'll come with the ability to switch off random encounters. So Lex, tell me if that's true or not when you get it :D

Jason Tandro

Banned
AKA
Jason Tandro, Doc Brown, Santa Christ, FearAddict, Thibault Stormrunner, RN: Micah Rodney
<<THIS VIDEO IS PRIVATE>>

Waaaaaaaa, now I won't be able to see the trailer for the thing that I won't get because I have a PSP and the game on it...

Grrr... ruin mah day.

What in the world... I wonder if they set it to private because the game isn't technically released until tomorrow. :S

Lex

Administrator
Yeah it stopped working an hour or so ago. I'd guess that it (the trailer) was accidentally released a day early. Or not if you're from NZ/Australia XD.

It'll be available at midnight, or so my quick looking up of app store updates tells me. Which is why it was already available in NZ earlier. Should be hitting the UK app store in a few hours from now. I had to delete a power of photos to make room for it.

ultima espio

Pro Adventurer
I *think* the UK app store updates at 6am, so we won't see it until tomorrow.

it's $19.99 on the NZ store. That's at 5x more than I'm willing to pay for it...

Flintlock

Pro Adventurer
kotaku is reporting that it'll come with the ability to switch off random encounters. So Lex, tell me if that's true or not when you get it :D
My first reaction was "what!?", but my second was "...hang on, that's a great idea". I would definitely use it. In fact, I'd only turn the encounters back on for learning Enemy Skills and stealing/winning items.

Lex

Administrator
Bought it, downloading now. Will make ample use of the ability to turn off random encounters :monster:

Lex

Administrator
Couple of differences from other versions so far.

The "max stats" and "autosave" options are in the config menu. There's an option at the bottom of the screen at all times to turn encounters on and off. Cloud runs by default, and the dialogue where Barret tells you how to run (that bit about holding X) is changed to "hold the directional buttons while holding to walk".

The opening FMV was really surprisingly laggy. Gameplay is pretty smooth and everything looks good so far. I hate the controls but they're at least functional.

EDIT: There's no in-game option to quit under save. So there are a few menu changes so far from the PC version.

Next to the "Encounters On/Off" button there's a button to change from analogue to digital controls, but this switches automatically to digital in menus and battles (which is helpful). "Analogue" controls is that in name only though, since the movement is still the same 8-directional we're used to. I don't have time to play much more right now since I'm off to bed, but I'm intrigued. The game looks good on a small screen, especially the text since this is a port of the PC version. Thankfully it doesn't have the horrible PC MIDI.

Last edited:

Kermitu Kleric Katie

KULT OF KERMITU
Hmm, I like the idea of turning off Random Encounters and having an autosave function, though I still won't get it because A: no money, and B: no space for it on my phone rn. Plus I'm not too sure those new features are enough to justify costing twice as much as the PSN version. I could see 12-15, but 20 bucks is bit of a ripoff to me.

cold_spirit

he/him
AKA
Alex T
I'm becoming more interested in this version because I see that there are no mouths on any of the NPCs, yet this is based off the PC version. I'm curious as to what other micro-changes have been made.

I'm assuming the MDef glitch was fixed, but if someone could confirm that'd be great :)

Cthulhu

Administrator
AKA
Yop
Probably not; I can imagine the game and all of its backgrounds and such were made to fit a certain screen ratio, changing that would either mean part of the screen is cut off, or the image gets stretched.

Lex

Administrator
Nope, no screen change options. Which is just as well tbh because it would feel really messy with the controls on top of it, it's already a little cramped IMO.

ultima espio

Pro Adventurer
Analyzing the IPA, I found that this iOS release IS the PC 1.02 version of the game. iOS app is a sorta of x86 emulator that checks DLL imports and redirect them to custom functions. It works like Wine for Unix. This allows to install the same mods of PC version, like Steam version. I'm pretty sure that PS4 will work in the same way.

It even includes the midi music that it doesn't use.

Top Bottom