Final Fantasy VII Comic Adaptation Project

vaderSW1

Dark Knight of the Red Wings
Guys, if you're going to do anything with FF7 proper, you're going to have to rewrite the whole thing. This is what screenwriters do when they adapt a game or a book to cinema, they scrap the whole narrative and start from scratch (case and point Edge of Tomorrow eww, Prince of Persia, Tomb Raider). There's no reason (or market) to transfer the entire game scene by scene over to another medium, people can play the game or Christ they can check auto-play and watch the game play itself if they want the story. A comic or a novel should offer a new experience. Someone take into account that this game is 4 disks long of mostly filler in the place of load screens. Ite's book literally came out to something like a phonebook I heard. If you want to actually start a project you have any hope of finishing, you're going to have to tell a new story. What I'm doing is using the game as one big writing prompt and not even caring if I'm going out of order or skipping huge chunks of whatever. As long as I get the basic gist I have an opportunity to make it my own. And that really should be the only reason you invest so much passion into a project IMO. Kinda tired of ppl proposing projects for fun that never get off the ground, would love to see some frontrunners actually pull up. So if you guys are open-minded and aiming to do something innovative and ambitious with the story then I'm full on behind you. But if you're just going to clean up screenshots and laserprint it then wtf why?

Team_Wingless who said that I was looking to do a shot-for-shot adaptation? :monster:

I have some ideas about how I would like to take this on. I just want to make sure that we include all of the storyline from the game. It would be HUGELY ambitious, no doubt. However, I feel like it would be a worthwhile project with enough support and enough people volunteering their time and effort into doing it.

I don't disagree with your assessment of the comic book offering a different experience. I have some thoughts on expanding certain elements of the story. Additional dialogue, extended scenes, etc. If this thing gets off the ground, trust me, we'll make this as new an experience as we can without forsaking the story.

Last edited:

vaderSW1

Dark Knight of the Red Wings
Team_Wingless who said that I was looking to do a shot-for-shot adaptation? :monster:

I just want to make sure that we include all of the storyline from the game.

-_________-

So, just to make sure I understand, you're saying that because I want to make sure and include the story line from the game that I can't make it a new experience? If so, then I would tell you that you would be mistaken. There's no point in doing a Final Fantasy VII comic adaptation if you aren't going to stay true to the source material. Again, I'm not saying creative liberties wouldn't be taken to expand dialogue/scenes or dig deeper into certain story arcs. However, there is no way that I would deviate from the story line of the game so much that it ends up becoming more fan-fiction than adaptation.

Team_Wingless

Unauthorized Tie-in Novelist
So you want to "expand" on a story that's already over 100 hours, and is about a guy with the personality of a paperclip, one of Warren Jeff's wives, a Lara Croft rip-off, and another guy who goes insane for no reason?

If so, quit talking about it and just do it. Post up Issue #1 and be like "this is what I'm working on, here's my time table, get behind me," not "here's a pipe dream summary haven't even started no idea when I'll be done get my back." Every forum is guilty of this not just this one.

SLFFVII

FFVII RP in Second Life
AKA
Floyd Gilmour
A FFVII comic would be hugely entertaining, but a huge amount of work. Select scenes rather than the whole thing would be much more manageable.

Top Bottom