Final Fantasy VII is up on the PS4 store.

Lex

Administrator
Nobody will play this game without hitting the 3x speed button a couple of times. Nobody XD

Flintlock

Pro Adventurer
If X and O have been switched on the controller, does that mean Cloud now runs by default? I always keep the original mapping because it's easier to hold X throughout the game than it is to hold O.

Tetsujin

he/they
AKA
Tets
If X and O have been switched on the controller, does that mean Cloud now runs by default?

He does when you use the analog stick. When using the D-pad you still need to hold down the button.

Edit: Actually, you can slow walk with the analog stick as well if you don't push it all the way

ForceStealer

Double Growth
Yeah I was so confused by Lex's observations that he couldn't walk, and I was walking everywhere. I didn't realize he was using the analog stick, because I never even tried the stick. Using the D-pad for VII is just as ingrained in me as O for accept is.

cold_spirit

he/him
AKA
Alex T
You can switch the button mapping for X and O through the PS4 by going to Settings -> Accessibility -> Button Assignments. Also check "Add to Quick Menu" so that you can easily turn these settings on/off when you're not playing. Enjoy that classic VII feel!

Now I might be going crazy here but I'm noticing a frame rate drop after using the 3x Speed Boost. For example the steal and Cross Slash animations look incredibly lagging now. Anybody else experiencing this?

Lex

Administrator
I don't want to tell you you're imagining it because that would be rude, but it might just be that the "smoothness" of 3x speed has you thinking they look laggy when you go back to normal. Of course it's possible that it lags for a little bit after using the speed boost.

cold_spirit

he/him
AKA
Alex T
After comparing versions, the choppiness of the animations is PC specific (which the PS4 version is based off of). In the original PS1 release, the the battles ran at 60fps. However, the battles in every PC release have been capped at 15fps. This lower frame rate causes stuttering with the camera and the menus. You can easily see this difference when you compare Tifa's limit break reels between the PS1 and PC versions.

I don't want to tell you you're imagining it because that would be rude, but it might just be that the "smoothness" of 3x speed has you thinking they look laggy when you go back to normal. Of course it's possible that it lags for a little bit after using the speed boost.

Yeah, I think a part of it is just how everything looks so slow after playing with 3x speed. Now I can't bare to turn if off!

Lex

Administrator
I just got the "Failure IS an option" trophy by running from the battle arena. There must be a "you lost" trigger there, because you're only supposed to get that trophy from getting a game over.

Also

cold_spirit

he/him
AKA
Alex T
Here's my mini-review:

I really like a lot of aspects of this port. For starters, the pre-rendered backgrounds have never looked better due to the new filter implemented. I'm also a huge fan of the PS4 exclusive features such as trophy support, easy screenshots and videos with the Share button, and remote play.

However, not everything is better. Since the PS4 port is based off the PC version, it contains all the same music glitches as well. Lex mentioned earlier that Chasing the Black Caped Man played when he encountered Yuffie, which is a glitch in the 2012 PC release (it has something to do with exiting the Mythril Mines). I'm assuming this means many of the other music issues are retained as well, such as the Main Theme of Final Fantasy VII cutting out during the scene Cloud throws Sephiroth into the mako pit (a massive loss in my opinion). The script changes carried over from the PC versions seem to get about as much wrong as they correct (Read Here), so I hardly consider it an improvement either. And finally, battles are capped at 15fps, causing the camera and menus to stutter during combat when compared to the PS1 version.

In short, this port gets some things right and some things wrong. Being the particular fan that I am, I’d argue that the original game is still the best experience, but I certainly wouldn’t scare people away from the PS4 port either. Overall it still manages to hit plenty of the high notes that make us love this experience so much. And the cheats are awesome. You won’t stay upset about the music glitches for very long because you’ll be flying through the game like never before.

cold_spirit

he/him
AKA
Alex T
The PS1 version was nowhere close to even 30fps. To me it looks like it's 15fps also.

The animations have always ran at 15fps across all versions. From my understanding though, the PS1 battle camera runs at 30fps and the battle menus run at 60fps. Since everything is capped to 15fps in the PC version, the animations look the same, but the camera movement and menus now have a noticeable stutter. You can also compare this by simply opening and closing a battle menu in both versions to see the difference.

EDIT: Perhaps a better comparison would be how smoothly the ATB or limit gauge fill up on PS1 as opposed to on PC.

Lex

Administrator
cold_spirit is correct about the FPS differences, it's well documented over on Qhimm. Everything runs at 60fps in the original game but things like animations in battle are a quarter of that. It's a bit like animation - anime is drawn for "2s" or "3s" meaning there's a new image every 3 frames (since video runs at 24fps) depending on the money that's gone into it. The battle animations in VII function similarly.

So on Playstation the game ran at 60fps in battles but the animations were just made as 15fps for ease even though they're within a 60fps environment. In the PC version however, everything is slowed down to 15fps when the only thing that was that slow before were the actual animations. The only place it's truly noticeable is when you're menuing, because trying to quick-menu in the PC version is more difficult.

Teioh

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Teiocho
I don't know if this has been addressed elsewhere or if this post even belongs in this thread but lately I've been going through the pages on the main site and making notes of
such as FFVII being written this way but as FF VII in other places, sometimes on the same page. Started making notes after noticing the 'I' missing from 'If' on the Donate page with the intention of making a post about it sometime but then people started discussing doing work to the site and I decided to delay it in case people were already on top of it
. Currently I'm on the Franchise Guide: Final Fantasy VII (Original Game) and noticed that the PS4 is not included in the Release Information table (or iOS for that matter). Does it need updating or is someone already working on it?

Lex

Administrator
Shademp has asked me to update the Franchise guide page with the information, it was his baby. It's one of the things I'll get around to sooner rather than later, because it's not difficult. It's just time consuming.

Tennyo

Higher Further Faster
I just got the "Failure IS an option" trophy by running from the battle arena. There must be a "you lost" trigger there, because you're only supposed to get that trophy from getting a game over.

I just got this trophy for the absolute dumbest reason ever.

Been running through the game using no encounters and having the constant limit breaks turned on. When fighting Rufus I decide to turn everything off because reasons.

I doesn't occur to me that I am under-leveled for this fight due to having the no encounters option turned on.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Nanaki Skywalker

Kate Lord of the Sith
AKA
Tarkatan Trash

I just got this trophy for the absolute dumbest reason ever.

Been running through the game using no encounters and having the constant limit breaks turned on. When fighting Rufus I decide to turn everything off because reasons.

I doesn't occur to me that I am under-leveled for this fight due to having the no encounters option turned on.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I planned on getting that trophy against Emerald, Ruby, or Safer Sephiroth. Instead, I got it in the cheapest fashion imaginable...by escaping from a round of Battle Square!

Tennyo

Higher Further Faster
I was dead in two hits.

Two very quick hits because the one thing I did leave on was the speed.

I didn't even understand wtf happened at first...

Top Bottom