Final Fantasy VII is up on the PS4 store.

Ami

Playing All The Stuff!
AKA
Amizon, Commander Shepard, Ellie, Rinoa Heartilly, Xena, Clara Oswald, Gamora, Lana Kane, Tifa Lockhart, Jodie Holmes, Chloe Price.
The theme is just so beautiful, I can't stop listening to the music. <3

Edit:

Last edited:

cold_spirit

he/him
AKA
Alex T
In the sample images on the PlayStation Store you can see multiple icons on the outside of the screen. For example, one has the Buster Sword crossed off. Anyone know what these represent? Challenge mode?

Lex

Administrator
Mine has 55 seconds left to download so I'll be sure to let you folks know :monster:

I'll be streaming the whole thing shortly

vaderSW1

Dark Knight of the Red Wings
I originally was not going to purchase this because I own it in so many other formats already. However, seeing the theme that it comes with, the beautiful piano Aerith's theme music, and the discounted price made me pull the trigger.

Max Caulfield

shaka brah
AKA
Chi, Trollzaya, Dean Winchester, Black Widow
Just bought it. I haven't played FFVII is well over five years since I lost my PSP, so I'm fucking stoked.

Tetsujin

he/they
AKA
Tets
Is this game multi-language in EU? Like, if you change your PS4 system language does the game languange change?
Need to know whether I can just buy it from the German store or whether I need to get it from a UK or US account :monster:
(I'm not gonna go through the shitty German translation again)

cold_spirit

he/him
AKA
Alex T
I did some digging and apparently those icons on the side are cheats that can be turned on/off. They include:

3x Speed
No Encounters
Max HP/MP/Limit (stays full, does not change the actual values)

Note: I could be wrong about this. Simply reading other impressions.

You can also watch the VII:R trailer from E3 this year in the start menu.

Ami

Playing All The Stuff!
AKA
Amizon, Commander Shepard, Ellie, Rinoa Heartilly, Xena, Clara Oswald, Gamora, Lana Kane, Tifa Lockhart, Jodie Holmes, Chloe Price.
Is this game multi-language in EU? Like, if you change your PS4 system language does the game languange change?
Need to know whether I can just buy it from the German store or whether I need to get it from a UK or US account :monster:
(I'm not gonna go through the shitty German translation again)
I've seen some screenshots floating around with it in different languages, so there's a way somehow.

Tetsujin

he/they
AKA
Tets
Actually I should've just looked at the store first. It says there it's in multiple languages. :wacky:

Lex

Administrator
Impressions: this is the best vanilla version of FF VII available.

The game looks better - by miles - than it does on the prior Steam PC release. This is mainly because a filter has been applied so there are no jaggies in sight at all. The backgrounds have definitely been processed/ upscaled because they're not pixellated and there's very little detail loss, whereas the 2D backgrounds on all PC versions look horrendous. I've used mods on the PC version from Qhimm for years, and the backgrounds in this version surpass the fan-processed backgrounds there (which are very very good).

The 3X speed, no encounters and what you might call a mini-trainer are fun to play around with. I have all of Aerith's limits, every other characters tier 2 level 1 limits, picked up every chest/ one of every materia/weapon/armour available and my characters are all level 20 and I finished up at Corel Prison from the beginning of the game, all within 5 hours of play.

I suppose my only real critique is that putting those functions on a button press makes them too easy to use, but they're there to be used and honestly it's tremendously fun to play around with. Picking and choosing when to have encounters when you already know the game is pretty fantastic, but it's even better with triple speed because you're not stuck for ages if you're looking for a specific enemy.

Someone is credited for "Additional English Translations" in "Additional Credits", which is an option under NEW GAME and Continue that takes you to a screen with a multicoloured Lifestream playing One Winged Angel while what I assume are the names of the people who worked on this port scroll by.

It obviously hasn't had a new translation from the ground up, but there are definitely a few differences so far, mostly in "press this button" dialogue bits. And I mean beyond the original PS - PC differences.

cold_spirit

he/him
AKA
Alex T
Impressions: this is the best vanilla version of FF VII available.
Someone is credited for "Additional English Translations" in "Additional Credits".

Yesss! I'm so stoked now. I'll write down any differences that I notice. If it's just a few tweaks here and there I'd be so happy. I love the charm of the original, but some sentences could stand to flow better. Can't wait to play! (I've been downloading since it appeared on the store, stoopid internet speed)

Claymore

3x3 Eyes
Awesome write up Lex. I downloaded it last night and had a quick look but the textures immediately stood out for me and everything feels like it's a lot more of a smoother playing experience than on Steam for me. I have no issues with the cheats. Use them or don't use them, the option is there, but I can see how no encounters is going to be extremely useful when you just want to explore or find something specific and 3x to speed up grinding.

Kionae

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Desha
*blinks* Geez... EVERYTHING happened this weekend. I will be downloading this as soon as all the family leaves this afternoon.

Lex

Administrator
I forgot to mention, one thing I don't like is that Circle and X have been switched. I know people manually switch those, but I've always played FFVII with Circle as the action button and you can't manually map the controller.

Also, the wrong music played twice. In the Yuffie recruitment screen where her theme is supposed to play, it instead played Chasing the Black Caped Man. There was another place earlier where the wrong music played but I don't remember where it was (Claymore might).

Yesss! I'm so stoked now. I'll write down any differences that I notice. If it's just a few tweaks here and there I'd be so happy. I love the charm of the original, but some sentences could stand to flow better. Can't wait to play! (I've been downloading since it appeared on the store, stoopid internet speed)

If you're used to the original Playstation version beware because there are actually a lot of changes between that and the original 1998 PC release. Here's an article we wrote about it.

Awesome write up Lex. I downloaded it last night and had a quick look but the textures immediately stood out for me and everything feels like it's a lot more of a smoother playing experience than on Steam for me. I have no issues with the cheats. Use them or don't use them, the option is there, but I can see how no encounters is going to be extremely useful when you just want to explore or find something specific and 3x to speed up grinding.

I don't have an issue with the cheats per se, it's just that a person trying to play through the game normally is going to have to exercise a lot of discipline not to use them.

I'll be streaming more today.

Claymore

3x3 Eyes
I don't have an issue with the cheats per se, it's just that a person trying to play through the game normally is going to have to exercise a lot of discipline not to use them.

I do rather agree. I'd prefer it if they weren't so ... accessible. At the very least, hidden behind a menu option. The temptation to use them is incredibly massive and hard to resist as it currently stands. I've managed to so far, but don't know how long that will last, lol.

Won't get on again until late tonight, but will keep an ear out for it unless someone else can spot it.

Top Bottom