• There are currently leaks out on the internet for FFVII Rebirth; we have received legal notice about these being posted on the forums. Do not post any images, videos, or other media, or links to them from FFVII Rebirth or the artbook. Any leaked media or links to them will be deleted.Repeat offenders will be suspended.
    Please help us out by reporting any leaks, and do not post spoilers outside of the spoiler section.

Final Fantasy VII, IX, X, X-2, XII and WoFF coming to Nintendo Switch

Lex

Administrator
It just blows my mind that FFVII is going to be on a Nintendo console after all the drama haha.

Also for XBox One btw, I'm sure I read that in SE's statement. Can someone write an article?

Lex

Administrator
41706558_2251653814850676_897848327519862784_n.jpg

leadmyskeptic

Pro Adventurer
It was one thing when its sidelining amounted to little more than "It's Not Getting a Compilation", or other, similar 'You can say that about this game, and this game, and this game'-style overlooks...but at this point, it seems as if Square (and to an extent, the fanbase) is outright saying "Fuck You" to FF8 whenever possible. It went from being Less Successful Sequel to 7 (tm), to a true bastard child, with all signs indicating the parties involved in its creation are hoping to bury its existence totally (or at least whatever extent that's possible in the digital age).

I know not everyone will get this reference, but to me, it's the "Pinkerton" of Final Fantasies. It was a work that went all-out with comparatively offbeat elements, turning off some fans of the previous (and hugely popular) release. This meant it achieved less immediate success, which in turn embarrassed its creators, who had gone out on a kind of emotional/psychological limb...but, it has a strong cult following of people who loved that weirdness, felt it spoke to them, and so who then ended up feeling cast adrift by the subsequent 'let's all pretend this fucking abomination never happened' position. I mean, let's face it, we live in a world where people defend the Compilation of VII...the Compilation, people...before they'd do a rain dance in the name of everyone's favorite underage soldiers. I'm not a fanboy to the point where I don't think 8 has issues (it's got plenty), and I recognize that it's something I personally love (and prefer over many later FF's) without that reflecting any significant majority...but when it gets hopscotched-over in a fashion that's impossible to ignore, as all the games around it get remasters/ports/general love and acknowledgement, I can't help but feel like it being banished to Corel Prison without a trial is a mistake worthy of Dio's hairless chest.

[Sorry, I know this is not what this thread is about, and this is an aside...should I have made this its own thread?? Lol]

Last edited:

Lex

Administrator
I think the fact it's not getting re-released now is simply due to the fact that it never got a mobile port like VII and IX did. It's a bit weird it didn't get one of those in the first place but if it had I'd bet it'd be getting re-released like the rest of them.

It's gonna feel a bit strange playing the PlayStation FFs on a Nintendo console, but this is great news. It'll be great to have the portability option for FFXII, in particular (also makes me feel less bad about missing out on the steelbook :monster:). Looking forward to the Crystal Chronicles remaster, as well. Multiplayer was a blast in that game, but it was such a pain to get everything together for it on the Gamecube.

Makoeyes987

Listen closely, there is meaning in my words.
AKA
Smooth Criminal
Jesus, that's fucked up.

I have no idea why Japanese developers back in the nineties and early aughts just gave absolutely no fucks in terms of saving the masters of the games they developed at the cost of millions and millions of dollars.

They have no clue how their old games work!!!

They just port the damn things, black-boxed code and all, and have no clue how to fix, correct or even identify bugs that crop up in the messy process of porting these decade old games to newer systems. And fans are left either picking up the pieces and fixing it, or just dealing with the crap.

It's a bizarre and incredible lack of foresight.

It's honestly why I don't buy ports of the older FF titles. The only one I ever got was FFVII for the PC and THAT was just so I could play the numerous mods and stuff that have been made for it.

cold_spirit

he/him
AKA
Alex T
A patch has released for the music bug in the Switch and Xbox One versions of FFVII where background music would restart after each battle. No word on whether it'll come to PS4.

It has also come to my attention that the Switch (and likely Xbox One) version include a fix for the incorrect music that plays when Cloud remembers his true identity. This is huge for me. Here are some examples:

PS1:

PC/PS4:

Switch (and likely Xbox One):

What's really interesting is that the music appears to have been fixed since the RELEASE of the recent ports, as evidenced by the upload date of the Switch example. Wasn't expecting that. As a final note, I'm not able to confirm this fix is in the Xbox One version because no one has uploaded a playthrough that far into the game. However, I'm going to assume it's there as the Switch and Xbox One ports released at the same time, implying to me that they were worked on jointly.

This patch also fixes an issue where transitions between cutscenes and gameplay would feature a black screen flicker.

Lex

Administrator
OK it's amazing and I'm glad they fixed it (to an extent) but it's still not quite right. The high note is supposed to hit as Cloud throws Sephiroth off into the wall.

That said, this pretty much solidifies the latest ports as the best vanilla versions of the game to play nowadays.

cold_spirit

he/him
AKA
Alex T
That said, this pretty much solidifies the latest ports as the best vanilla versions of the game to play nowadays.

Personally, I'm still going to reach for the PS1 version when I want to play the vanilla game. It's the only release with 60fps battle menus and 30fps camera movement. I have been told this is a nuanced preference. The 15fps cap in the latest ports is functional and many would agree fps isn't important for a turn-based rpg anyway. I, however, love the snappy and responsive menus in the PS1 version. It makes battles feel much more fluid. Would still recommend the Switch and Xbox One versions to anyone interested, just putting my opinion out there.

Lex

Administrator
I agree on the menu issue, I just wish there was a way to play a decent version of the original officially these days (on a large screen). The closest you can really get is with a Playstation classic, but then you have to hack it to get it working smoothly.

cold_spirit

he/him
AKA
Alex T
True. I play the digital version on PS3/PSP, but those platforms are getting hella outdated. I don’t blame anyone for not having access to them.

I also speculate that this may be the last generation we see a port of the original game. With the Remake on the horizon, I don’t image the PS5 or any future console receiving the crude original over a port/bundle of the Remake. Who knows though.

Top Bottom