• There are currently leaks out on the internet for FFVII Rebirth; we have received legal notice about these being posted on the forums. Do not post any images, videos, or other media, or links to them from FFVII Rebirth or the artbook. Any leaked media or links to them will be deleted.Repeat offenders will be suspended.
    Please help us out by reporting any leaks, and do not post spoilers outside of the spoiler section.

Final Fantasy VII Remake Music Wishes

X-SOLDIER

Harbinger O Great Justice
AKA
X
I don't know if this has been discussed at length.

This came to mind while I was listening to this remix today:

If they do remake FFVII, I pray that they don't use really instrumental music for the whole game. Crisis Core did quite well in keeping that midi-electronic feel to the music while not making it feel overly outdated. The entire game wouldn't need to sound that way however. There are some sections where they'd need a more modern feel (for example, I really liked Anxious Heart in ACC).

I'm just wondering what other people think about bringing FFVII's music into a modern game, and what standards or changes should be made.

X :neo:

Althea

Pro Adventurer
AKA
myfinalheaven
Hmmmm, Im kinda torn on this one. I certainly agree with you in respect to the redone tracks in Crisis Core, they were done very well. However, I do think that the use of full instrumentals should be used as well as i love listening to remastered tracks/black mages versions of the tracks. I also looove the orchestrated versions.

I love this! This type of music I would enjoy in the game.

Tetsujin

he/they
AKA
Tets
Mixture of synthesizer elements and actual instruments and orchestra.

Pretty much what Hamauzu likes to do with his soundtracks.

Cat Rage Room

Great Old One
AKA
Mog
Messing with the music can be a potential deathblow to any hope of a remake.

I understand the need to evolve some of the tracks, but I really hope it's just limited to an increase in quality and a general exploration of their limitations. I felt Crisis Core was too grungy in a lot of areas, and it made me think of what they'd do in a remake.

ACC's take on the music wasn't too bad, but they need to keep the spirit that in this case, a remake of FFVII is more of reexploring the possibilities of one of their greatest games with a greatly expanded toolset and technology, while still keeping that general feel that brought so many fans to the series in the first place, and not "FINAL FANTASY VII THE NEXT GENERATION LET'S ROCK OUT WITH OUR COCKS OUT"

ForceStealer

Double Growth
Rocking out with one's cock out is always successful.

I agree, though. Just orchestrate the songs that would be benefit from orchestration, synth the ones that wouldn't, and mix where appropriate. I really liked Crisis Core's soundtrack, but the less changed FF7's soundtrack, the better.

(I do adore that mix, however, Althea. It is absolutely fantastic)

Pixel

The Pixie King
In XIII, did they have specifically scored scenes? Like, if theres a conversation, or scene, is the music scored to fit that scene, ore is it just looped music? I think a lot of FF7s music wouldnt work if simply reorchastrated because of this, and also because of the voice work.

IMO every moment of FF7 has this nostalgia to it, and to change anything drastically changes the feeling as a whole, thats the danger of messing with the music.

Ite

Save your valediction (she/her)
AKA
Ite
Do we want the FFVII remake to be a huge nostalgia fest, or do we want it to be updated to effectively tell the same story in a new way?

I land somewhere in the middle. The hopeful fan in me wants to see the story told to the best of its ability, but the angry nerd in me will stab my television for every 'heinous change' it makes. In short, I'm one of those stupid, unpleasable fans. The ACC version of the Main Theme was so fantastic, a remake could potentially greatly benefit from new pieces that use the leitmotifs in clever ways (a la Howard Shores LotR soundtrack). That being said, Uematsu walked a fine line between synth and orchestra that the sequels haven't walked well (an exception being A:OWA). It's hard to imagine the new composers creating new material that would compliment the original soundtrack.

At the end of the day, though, we still have the original soundtrack and the original game for our nostalgia fix (and our delicious OGC). I don't think I can be disappointed any more than I already have been by the FF7:C so bring on the changes, I'll filter out the things I like and keep 'em.

The Twilight Mexican

Ex-SeeD-ingly good
AKA
TresDias
I can't picture them doing a remake without Uematsu on music, so I'm not too concerned about what other composers might do. I just don't see it being a possible issue.

Anyhow, I pretty much agree exactly with Tet, Mog and Force.

Josh Kitsune

Lord of Foxes
AKA
Josh Strife, Black Kyuubi, White Kyuubi
While some songs need to be orchestrated, some others, like battle themes, could do with a little AC remixing. Some hard rock mixed into orchestrated tracks. Awesome! However I’m sure not everyone would agree that having hard rock music would be a good thing so have the option to choose between orchestrated or orchestrated with several hybrid tracks for certain situations. Also have the option to switch between the amped up soundtrack or the old sckool MIDI version.

Ite

Save your valediction (she/her)
AKA
Ite
There was hard rock in the original FFVII. There was also techno and heavy synth.

Dana Scully

Special Agent
AKA
YACCBS, Legato Bluesummers, Daenaerys Targaryen, Revy, Kate Beckett, Samantha Carter, Matsumoto Rangiku
I can honestly and happily say that as long as Uematsu is in charge I have total faith that the music, no matter what direction it takes, will be awesome.

I think he's the only part of Square Enix that has never disappointed me.

Kobato

Pro Adventurer
My wish is to have the game not remade, and just keep the FF VII re-mixed, updated FF VII to youtube, and SE leaving the original game alone. That's my wish.

Obsidian Fire

Ahk Morn!
AKA
The Engineer
I hope it's along the lines of ACC and CC. Those soundtracks have a good variety of music styles. There were very few, if any, tracks I didn't like.

One thing I hope they do differently is how they do the Main Theme. I love it, but I never get to hear it in its entirety because it's so long. I also wish they had more variations of it. Kind of like how they did CC's theme.

ForceStealer

Double Growth
I only discovered fairly recently how often little bits of FF7's Main Theme are sprinkled into the rest of the soundtrack. An obvious example is the Highwind song on Disc 3, we recently mentioned on here that Underneath the Rotting Pizza has a minor-key hinting at it in the background. Even Aerith's Theme is fairly similar.

That's not to disagree with you though, just praising what's there :monster:

Octo

KULT OF KERMITU
AKA
Octo, Octorawk, Clarky Cat, Kissmammal2000
Ahem, well at the risk of sounding unpopular. I would hope they keep the original tunes intact as much as possible. And stop with the nu-metal bullshit remixes.

Dont get me wrong, for example, the Black Mages version of the boss theme works great, its still got that prog-rock wizardy feel to it, and it works. So in a remake that would be great.

My beef is with the type of music during the fights in Crisis Core, and the remixes of alot of the music from AC, which for me rendered some of the tunes unrecogniseable. Reminded me of Tekken 3 or something.

The majority of the FFVII soundtrack was perfectly suited, the only problem was that it was all in MIDI. Too plinky plonky.

I don't think 'real' instruments are always appropriate. Eg. 'The Crazy Motorcycle' is obviously meant to be electronic/synth and wouldnt work any other way.

Additional:, 'Those who fight' does not work on piano!

Obsidian Fire

Ahk Morn!
AKA
The Engineer
This is a fair point to make. I'm not saying I want everything in metal, my favorite track from CC after all is 'An Ancient Hymn Sung by the Water' which is mostly strings. It's just that the DoC soundtrack had so much orchestra music that it got boring in my opinion. I want more variety then that and CC and AC had variety.

Speaking of remixes in AC, I recently noticed that 'Violator' is a remix of 'Shinra Company'.

and Yes! no matter what happens with the soundtrack, the best thing about it is that it will not be in MIDI!

Octo

KULT OF KERMITU
AKA
Oh and another thing.

Please please please can we not have some crappity crap crap song shoehorned into any remake. J-pop/Rock stars can fuck the fuck off Final Fantasy VII!*

*I'm not against Japanese pop/rock per se. I have quite a bit of it from animes etc on my MP3. I just find since "Eyes on Me" in FFVIII I find myself cringing at the schmaltzy songs that cropped up in FF's since then. So please, strictly instrumental!

Alex Strife

Ex-SOLDIER
One thing I hope they do differently is how they do the Main Theme. I love it, but I never get to hear it in its entirety because it's so long. I also wish they had more variations of it. Kind of like how they did CC's theme.

I honestly think it's fine as it is. The "long main theme" thing, I always found it lovely. I often find myself setting up my team while in the overworld, so the main theme being long was very appropriate, in my opinion.

I only discovered fairly recently how often little bits of FF7's Main Theme are sprinkled into the rest of the soundtrack.

You made me a tiny little bit happier here. Of course, I had caught the most obvious references, but about two weeks ago I was "carefully" listening to the soundtrack and I was amazed when I started noticing the main theme "everywhere". I thought I was the only one, and I was being a sad panda. Glad to see I'm not alone!

And talking about the Compilation's soundtracks, DoC was made by Hamauzu, who is not part of Square-Enix anymore. If I had to choose someone for FF7 remake's music, and it couldn't be Uematsu, it should be Takeharu Ishimoto. As far as I know, he's been doing some FF7 Compilation stuff, and I liked his work with Crisis Core.

ForceStealer

Double Growth
Please please please can we not have some crappity crap crap song shoehorned into any remake. J-pop/Rock stars can fuck the fuck off Final Fantasy VII!*

I'll agree there. If they ABSOLUTELY must, only put it over the credits a la Redemption and not during any of the actual game. I love the credit roll and don't want them to do that either, I'm just saying that if we must have it, I'll live if that's the only place it is.

And talking about the Compilation's soundtracks, DoC was made by Hamauzu, who is not part of Square-Enix anymore.

...this I did not know. He did XIII's soundtrack and split? That's too bad, I like his stuff. I was a little miffed at the lack of recurring themes in his scores for Dirge and XIII (Dirge lacking Vincent's Theme, XIII being the first in the franchise to not have the Victory Fanfare - while also missing the Prelude and the Final Fantasy Theme), but the stuff he did make was great.
So far I've liked what I hear of Ishimoto, he seems to do pretty good homages of existing themes, but yes, CC could get a little metal-heavy.

But if they remade VII, just contract Uematsu. There's seriously no reason not to.

Username

Banned
I don't think anyone would disagree on the fact that the songs would need updating in some way or another, and Uematsu would be the guy to do so. I am one of those people who enjoyed CC's soundtrack, but i agree with others here that have mentioned it can be a little over the top as far as the rock element is concerned.

Like Mog mentioned a while ago, music is huge in a game and can almost make it or break it, speaking solely on my part, i would like to see a mixture of some of the orchestral-rock from CC, but also a more melo remake of other songs from the game. That would be the perfect combination in my eyes.

Octo

KULT OF KERMITU
AKA
Legally speaking....and I know its probably something we can't know....Does SE own the rights to Uematsu's FF compositions or what?

What I mean is, if they asked him to do a remake and he said "I'm done with dat shit" could they just get some other dude to step in and update the original tunes? Or could Uematsu sue their asses? :huh:

Tetsujin

he/they
AKA
Tets
Legally speaking....and I know its probably something we can't know....Does SE own the rights to Uematsu's FF compositions or what?

Short answer: Yes.

ForceStealer said:
...this I did not know. He did XIII's soundtrack and split? That's too bad, I like his stuff.

Yeah, I think he started his own studio, like Uematsu.

Last edited:

Pixel

The Pixie King
Well, havent SE taken all composers off the payroll, instead just hiring them on a freelance basis?

Top Bottom