Final Fantasy VII: The First Soldier

waw

Pro Adventurer
It is painfully obvious that all the trooper/soldier models in both the OG, CC and even Remake are designed with... maximum identity concealment in mind. They all have helmets that cover their entire face for exactly this reason.

In Remake, here doesn't seem to be some type of "NPC creation suite" with different body forms and face parts that can be swapped in/out as needed; instead all the NPCs are customized. Which means... making female models for the troopers would eat up asset creation resources for very little narrative pay-off. And possibly make programing enemy spawns more complicated to boot. This isn't like FFXIV where there's an entire character creation suite and tons of armor fitted to different body shapes already available to be used. So we instead get very generic enemies when it comes to anything that isn't a boss fight.

That's a good point. But even one Roche-like female SOLDIER, maybe even the current 1st Class hero of Shinra could be a woman just to balance out a few things for fans calling for. I'd be very happy with that.

That said, The First SOLDIER? I know it's a really long shot that'll NEVER pay off, but I kind of hope Gillian is the 1st SOLDIER. It would add a bit to the nature of Angeal and Genesis and maybe why Lucrecia and Hojo get so desperate to do what they did in rivalry....

powerful Aunt May in spandex
images

*cough*

Strangelove

AI Researcher
AKA
hitoshura
i honestly tried to give the trailer (which i only watched today) a chance but i ended up skipping through it. i'm not one for competitive online games and if this is going to be the weakest in terms of story, i am very cold to this one. i don't know if it will be like the g-bike game and have the barest semblance of a story but so far i am not too keen

Gameplay-wise The First SOLDIER looks more and more appealing to me the longer I look at it. Definitely way more interesting-looking than Ever Crisis in terms of gameplay mechanics. But it still feels like Square are way out of their depths by once again trying to tap into the shooter genre. I don't see this mobile game surviving for very long.

Strangelove

AI Researcher
AKA
hitoshura
this is as good a time as any to confess that i have never played fortnite or any br game

i just have visions in my mind of some prick getting heated because i suck at the game and i don't need that aggro in my life over a video game

if there is some story in this pls add a versus-cpu mode for people like me

Wol

None Shall Remember Those Who Do Not Fight
AKA
Rosarian Shield
As long as SQEX treats it as a side-game, it will never receive the investment needed to become a quality battle royale that mantains interest.

If it doesn't shine on its own merits, it won't attract casual gamers, that are used to play Pugb and Fortnite. FF fans won't be too interested in general, because they crave for revelant storylines.

So If the gameplay sucks or its at best mediocre and the story sucks, it's already dead.

The TLS discord correctly pointed out that no version of the SOLDIER emblem is visible in the trailer to FS, which makes sense given that SOLDIER has not yet been properly established. I'm actually interested in seeing how the game will handle this. When will the SOLDIER emblem be introduced? Will the DG-like emblem be the first version of the emblem until we see it replaced by the modern variant? If so, when will this transition happen?

Potential for some neat, subtle lore reveals if they manage to make this game cover a decent number of years in the timeline.

I also bet we are going to hear examples in the plot of many soldiers being sent to an underground medical facility and suspiciously never being seen again even though their wounds were not that serious. Those familiar with the lore will know that this facility is Deepground in its infancy.

I'm honestly expecting some form of cutscene, even if only a brief one, that shows the SOLDIER emblem revealed after you've achieved top rank, reached a high level etc. Since they bothered to make that brief FMV with President Shinra, even designing a unique suit for the young President, I have a feeling they are willing to include content that actually enrich the world.

Don't get me wrong, I think in the end you'll be able to count on one hand the number of minutes devoted to actual plot material even if the game manages to survive and see multiple expansions. It doesn't look like a DoC Online Mode situation where we'll actually closely follow our player character and see them interacting with plot-relevant characters. But there's still a lot of neat stuff that could be imported there in something as little as 3-5 minutes worth of lore.

waw

Pro Adventurer
I have a feeling they are willing to include content that actually enrich the world.

Don't get me wrong, I think in the end you'll be able to count on one hand the number of minutes devoted to actual plot material even if the game manages to survive and see multiple expansions...

If the announcements are accurate, my understanding is Ever Crisis will have playable RPG chapters from this era. I suspect we'll get canon characters and some form of these events, personally. Maybe not too much in FIrst Soldier, but I think there is a story being written.

LegendarySaiyan

AKA: SalihGuclu
I am not interested in playing this, but if there are any cutscenes or story content, I will watch them on YouTube :D I wish them did something like FFXV Comrades for the Console instead of for Mobiles. In my opinion, Battle Royal does not fit the FFVII Universe. I am interested for the Story Content though, if there are any :D

BlueCollarNerd

Pro Adventurer
Im with everyone who hates mobile gaming and its future. I know for certain my phone will be unable to play this title. Also i find tablets such a weird/wasteful device for personal use. I will say they do seem to be rather useful for businesses as a form of mobile registers. But if i have a smart phone that can do everything and a computer(mines dated but ill hopefully be replacing soon) what is the need for anything between?

Hopefully BlueStacks can be used to emulate your purchased game on the computer.

Ive never tried to emulate a android os. I would assume it can be done. If so that would make it more enjoyable i think.

I haven't played a shooter in many years. I think the last titles i played were cod world at war or one of the halo titles around that time. I do enjoy the rush of a fps but they can be very boring if not playing with a friend.

This interests me depending on how much lore they involve. I will be excited to play along side some TLS members if we can sink up.

I saw a Spanish FFVIIR facebook thread that pointed out something that makes a lot of sense: Vincent the Turk could easily appear in The First SOLDIER as a boss. Same really for a young Veld/Verdot/Velderot/Voldemort.

Turk Vincent as a boss would be a nice coincidental homage to his temporary role as a boss in Dirge of Cerberus online.

turk-of-turks_01.jpg

turk-of-turks_04.jpg

turk-of-turks_06.jpg

I know there is reasonable skepticism in regards to how much this game will include any plot, characters or even tiny lore dumps, but it only just now dawned on me how much potential there is in setting this game 30 years prior to OG/Remake. We could meet- or get references to characters like Grimoire Valentine, Lucrecia, Gast, Hojo, Ifalna, Gillian... So much potential.

Top Bottom