• There are currently leaks out on the internet for FFVII Rebirth; we have received legal notice about these being posted on the forums. Do not post any images, videos, or other media, or links to them from FFVII Rebirth or the artbook. Any leaked media or links to them will be deleted.Repeat offenders will be suspended.
    Please help us out by reporting any leaks, and do not post spoilers outside of the spoiler section.

Final Fantasy VIII General Discussion

Lex

Administrator
Because we don't have one of these for each game and I don't understand why.

Anyway someone posted this awesome T-Shirt on the FB FFVIII group:

12369111_924208304281138_2543449450351891019_n.jpg

anyway Laguna is Squall's father, Rinoa is not Ultimecia, Squall is not dead and if you name his ring something funny you can do things like make Ultimecia junction something to her vagina.

Happy discussion :monster:

Flintlock

Pro Adventurer
anyway Laguna is Squall's father, Rinoa is not Ultimecia, Squall is not dead and if you name his ring something funny you can do things like make Ultimecia junction something to her vagina.
I think that covers everything.
Agreed, we can probably close the thread now. :P

I've probably said this before, but I love the Squall is Dead theory. I know it's crazy, but I'd say it's actually less crazy than what actually happens in the last three discs of Final Fantasy VII. :monster: And it's actually quite a believable theory right up until the last moment of the ending FMV, I think.

Lex

Administrator
I totally agree, it was one of my favourites to read about in the olden days. Btw was there ever any information about what happens with Rinoa's sorceress powers post-game? Does she remain the sole sorceress alive?

RedFFWolf

Donator
I think the Squall is Dead theory is interesting too. Not that I believe it, but I am willing to accept it if the developers turned around one day and said this is what they always had in mind (even if I don't want a dead Squall :'()

EDIT: @Lex - No idea, but I remember something from some time ago regarding Sorceress's powers that seems somewhat relevant. Bottom paragraph of the section, 'Nature', if it is true. Doesn't answer the question by any means, but I still figure it noteworthy regarding her powers (the part about each "succession" weakening)

Lex

Administrator
Question:

How the fuck do you pronounce Quistis? (This is both a question and a statement). This has bothered me since I was a child.

Is it Kwiz-tiz? Or do we apply some French and say... like... Kwee-tee? Kwee-tis? Kwai-tai?

Russell

.. ? ..
AKA
King of the Potato People
Question:

How the fuck do you pronounce Quistis? (This is both a question and a statement). This has bothered me since I was a child.

This. It's always bothered me too.

When I played it as a Kid I would have said "Quiz-Tis".
(I don't know why I put a Z in there.)
Or Que-Tis, both seem wrong.

Kwiss-Tis? :huh:

The Twilight Mexican

Ex-SeeD-ingly good
AKA
TresDias
The phonetics of it in Japanese (キスティス; ki-su-ti-su) point to "kee-stis." I've always said "kwis-tis," though, and expect I always will.

Her last name, Trepe, is the really odd one here, though.トゥリープ is tu-ree-pu -- so, something like "tree poo." =|

JBedford

Pro Adventurer
AKA
JBed
Wouldn't it just be like "Treep"? Since the closest katakana can get to a sound ending in a "p" is "プ", if the intended represented word/sound ended in an "oo" they'd put a "ー" at the end, right? (or a small tsu if the sound is short and it's not the end of the word? I'm not an expert)

Yeah, the "qui" in Quistis is like the "qui" in "quiche". I will never pronounce it like that myself though. IX's Quina is "kwi" though.

The Twilight Mexican

Ex-SeeD-ingly good
AKA
TresDias
Wouldn't it just be like "Treep"? Since the closest katakana can get to a sound ending in a "p" is "プ", if the intended represented word/sound ended in an "oo" they'd put a "ー" at the end, right? (or a small tsu if the sound is short and it's not the end of the word? I'm not an expert)
Yes, probably. I can't look at it now without thinking "tree poo," though. :monster:

Kuja9001

Ooooh Salty!
AKA
roxas9001, Krat0s9001, DarkSlayerZero
The phonetics of it in Japanese (キスティス; ki-su-ti-su) point to "kee-stis." I've always said "kwis-tis," though, and expect I always will.

Her last name, Trepe, is the really odd one here, though.トゥリープ is tu-ree-pu -- so, something like "tree poo." =|

I say exactly that.

Clement Rage

Pro Adventurer
Y'know, I liked how resourceful the Galbadian military is in that game. They're no match for SeeD, and they know it, but they use the resources they have really effectively.

RedFFWolf

Donator
^Gorgeous.
Saved to the oul' pictures folder.

The music for Galbadia Garden came on my iPod the other day while I was relaxing on the train after work, and it prompted my daydreams to traverse through the Garden. The urge to play the game was pretty strong. Anyone else have a scene or piece of music from the game that really drives you to want to play the game?

Ite

Save your valediction (she/her)
AKA
Ite
Anyone else have a scene or piece of music from the game that really drives you to want to play the game?

Pretty much every track except for battle music, which only makes me think of Draw.

ultima espio

Pro Adventurer
Here's a little something nobody noticed, remember in the demo for FF8 Rinoa was in the party during the raid on Dollet, and she appeared in the FMV at the end? Well it turns out she's still there in the final version, they didn't remove her properly.

If you watch this from 21 minutes in, at 0.25 speed you can just see her faintly behind Selphie. You can see a part of her shadow as well. You can see it clearer here:

http://forums.qhimm.com/index.php?topic=15894.msg223426#msg223426

Demo version for comparison:

ForceStealer

Double Growth
That's pretty cool espio. Thanks for that :monster:

@lead: I guess Deling? Definitely the most modern city feel the FF series has ever captured. The buses were an especially nice touch (even if they all had the same number :P) I think VIII's very numerous prerendered screens (as opposed to VII's tendency to show the whole town at once) could be a bit tiresome, but it definitely makes a location feel bigger, which Deling captured.

Kuja9001

Ooooh Salty!
AKA
roxas9001, Krat0s9001, DarkSlayerZero
So what exactly happens if you let the time expire during the train hijacking? I can't find anything nor can I test it myself due to the PS3 acting shoddy.

Fav city - Easily Esthar

Fav Location - Ultimecia's Castle. She might be a crazy witch but she does have great taste.

Top Bottom