Final Fantasy VIII Map-Based Plot Summary

cold_spirit

he/him
AKA
Alex T
@vgcartography used their relief map of FFVIII to deliver a complete plot summary of the game. It's real good.

They also created a timeline of events for reddit.

It's great to watch something that organizes all the in-game lore bits on Hyne, sorceresses, and the Lunatic Pandora into a linear format. The story of Hyne in particular is fascinating. I encountered it in my most recent playthrough, but didn't understand its relevance enough to process it properly. Really appreciate this.

Makoeyes987

Listen closely, there is meaning in my words.
AKA
Smooth Criminal
God, I love the world of FFVIII. It's so unique and just weird in a utterly fantastical way.

LOL @ "The moon is full of monsters. Sometimes there are many, many monsters. And they pile up and they create this magic monster mountain that dumps them down onto the planet."

That always tripped me out. Just imagining this... unending cascade of Imps, Blobras, Malboros, Venom Dragons, Ochus, Turtapods and more falling from the heavens in a chaotic torrent of mayhem and then dispersing onto the planet.

And this happens repeatedly.

LOL what the fuck are they even doing on the Moon anyways?

The story of FFVIII that starts with Laguna's quest and culminates with Squall's carrying on ending this cycle initiated by Ultimecia is just... I love it. It's so perfect. So wild.

On another note, if you think about it. Eden being found within the Deepsea Research Facility, junctioned to Ultima Weapon strongly implies that those ruins that were sunk beneath the sea were a lost Centra City that Eden and Ultima resided in. I always figured Eden (given it's name, shape, and incredible power) was a Guardian Force that basically inspired the concept of Centra shelters and "Gardens" in the first place. It's like some giant protector entity for the Centra but who knows. :monster:

EDIT: "So they decide to visit their childhood home once more. But not before Squall dramatically reassures everyone that they won't stop using their memory destroying weapons." LMAO I'm dying. I love this guy's narration. The wit and humor is dry but not too scathing. xDDD

"Implying Squall's continued to upgrade it, even in peace time. Implying that there's still something out there, making him mad." ::Shuffle or Boogie plays menacingly:: ROTFLMAO

Last edited:

Torrie

astray ay-ay-ay
What a great video. I think it helped me to understand what's going on in FFVIII just a little better.

The truth is, whenever I encounter anything (literally a-ny-thing) that's connected with VIII overview or plot breakdown, I feel like I'm dumb and my mind will never fully be able to follow this convoluted story. I mean, Resonant Arc uploaded a few-hour podcast discussing the plot of FFVIII, which I listened within a few weeks, and it clarified a lot, but I still felt dumb afterwards :mon:

Top Bottom