Final Fantasy XII

Teva

hai a/s/l plz?
AKA
Queen of Sunshine / QoS / Suiseiseki / Desudesudesu / Teva / Teva'ni
Re: FF12

All of my characters are strengthened with optimized equipment and they're all fairly balanced so that I'll always have a mage/warrior type chaarcter on hand in battle. I don't quite remember the specific category it falls under but I do know that you can indeed sell it. ^_^

looneymoon

they/them
AKA
Rishi

I thought the Forgotten Grimoires increase the drop rate of rarer items, or something.

[quote author=Arianna link=topic=340.msg11504#msg11504 date=1233071485]

Actually, the walk through I printed off of GameFaq says that it's only the chest that contains the Elixir that is the one not to touch. Oh well, we'll see if that's correct 'cause I took the other one! :P
[/quote]

It probably is just the one. the FAQ I got that from said that it's only the one chest, but to be safe and not take the other chest either *shrug*

Arianna

Holy, Personified
AKA
Katie; Seta.

[quote author=Queen of Sunshine link=topic=340.msg11590#msg11590 date=1233083926]
Goodness that reminds me that I have to get some strong equipment for my characters. By any chance does anyone know how to obtain the Yagyu Darkblade(s) and Formalhauts? (sp?)
[/quote]

I think you can get the Darkblade via a shop... I want to say on the way towards Archades. I'm truly not sure. Now, I want to say the Fomalhaut is a pretty much guaranteed get if you do the long and difficult hunt towards Zodiac. Thing is, there are no save crystals anywhere there... It's an all or nothing; as well the creatures are very high up there in levels. Lastly, the Fomalhaut is in a chest that will not regenerate. If you don't get it via that chest, and you want it, start the game over (don't save what you got so far) to see if you're successful a second (or more) time(s) through. I can't think of any other way to get the Fomalhaut...

[quote author=looneymoon link=topic=340.msg11815#msg11815 date=1233113917]
I thought the Forgotten Grimoires increase the drop rate of rarer items, or something.
[/quote]

Yes, the grimoires will increase your chances of hitting rare items in steals and drops (I think steals, as well). Thing is, with it, you also get the increase in getting pebbles which are only worth 2 gil each. Still, you can get some pretty good stuff with the grimoires, so... Perhaps later in the game if not right away?

Tennyo

Higher Further Faster

Oh increased rare items is always a plus for me. I've been really raking in the gil lately with some really expensive loot.

Geostigma

Pro Adventurer
AKA
gabe

theres 12 grimoirs iirc and each increases something or other.
Yours is the first available of them and indeed it increases chances of rare items to drop. I remember buying it and being wtf is this , i looked it up on gamefaqs and there it was.

My team consists of Basch (using a really kick ass axe , forgot the name) , Vaan using the same axe lol. And penelo using some daggers. I remember beating king bomb pretty easily on my second attempt.On my first attempt i got him pretty darn low on hp then he full healed and i just didnt have the patience to regain mp and what not just to do it all over again . So i retried got him to the same point and just used some quickening chanins from my back up team to finish up the last of his hp.

Then i went into the necrohal and got owned ;_;

Tennyo

Higher Further Faster

Well then perhaps I shall have to purchase them all! :monster:

Also, I don't understand how to sell them. Not that I want to anymore mind you, but I was curious to see how much one would be. But it isn't on any list when I got to a shop. :/

Anyway, I finally got my characters all to the lower 40's with Basch being the highest at 42. But I guess I shouldn't say all since Penelo is only 38. I don't know why she always falls so far behind but oh well.

But in any case I totally owned the Trickster like it was nothing. Such a cute little chocobo popped up in my Sky Pirate's Den afterward! ^_^

What level should I be at before I enter the Necrohal?

Arianna

Holy, Personified
AKA
Katie; Seta.

[quote author=Tennyo link=topic=340.msg12074#msg12074 date=1233174857]What level should I be at before I enter the Necrohal?[/quote]

Again, I may be a bad gamer, but... I would recommend 50 or more. The higher the better; the creatures (or at least the Baknamy) start in the 40 level, but their attacks are progressively quick and they come in numbers. Also, powerful magicks.

Tennyo

Higher Further Faster

:P So I've been up, down, and all over the Zertinan Caverns hunting the Marilith, and I cannot find it anywhere! Anyone have any idea where this thing is?

Frostwave

lil' rice krispies
AKA
Elizabeth, Selda

It's in the rounded bottom right corner of the largest room in Invitation to Heresy. The trick is you've gotta stand in that room(turn yer Gambits off)for five minutes. After five minutes have elapsed, walk into the corner of the room and Marilith should pop out and attack you.

Tennyo

Higher Further Faster

Oh wow, I never would have guessed to do that. lol

Thanks for the help. I'll have it beat in no time now! ^_^

You all know what this game should have? The ability to transfer license points from one character to another. Balthier has like, over 900 points with nothing that I really want to spend them on. Everyone else on the other hand have barely enough to purchase the licenses that I want them to have. :/

Max Payne

Banned
AKA
Leon S. Kennedy,Terry Bogard, The Dark Knight, Dacon, John Marston, Teal'c

[quote author=Leanan Sidhe link=topic=340.msg16954#msg16954 date=1234332056]
It's in the rounded bottom right corner of the largest room in Invitation to Heresy. The trick is you've gotta stand in that room(turn yer Gambits off)for five minutes. After five minutes have elapsed, walk into the corner of the room and Marilith should pop out and attack you.
[/quote]

Huh, I never had to turn off my gambits. Odd.

Frostwave

lil' rice krispies
AKA
Elizabeth, Selda

Huh, I never had to turn off my gambits. Odd.

Guess that means it's not a must. I skipped that hunt my first playthrough, and I'm not far in my second yet. I just got that that from a guide. =D Didn't want to remove the detail, in case you really had to do that, for whatever reason.

Arianna

Holy, Personified
AKA
Katie; Seta.

[quote author=Tennyo link=topic=340.msg16949#msg16949 date=1234331039]
:P So I've been up, down, and all over the Zertinan Caverns hunting the Marilith, and I cannot find it anywhere! Anyone have any idea where this thing is?
[/quote]

The best entrance to take for this hunt is the Westersand and make your way to the bottom-most part of the desert on the map. That entrance takes you right into the proper room. You do have to defeat what enemies are there, and then wait a while for him to pop up. Don't leave and come back or anything, just stand there and wait. :) Gambits really shouldn't matter in this battle (or any of them to be quite honest.)

Tennyo

Higher Further Faster

Thanks Arianna. ^_^

Oh my, today I realized that I've surpassed 100 hours on this game, and still no story climax in sight! When does it end?! *faints* I'm used to games where the story takes no more than 70 hours. :P

Just left Giruvagan. Now I have to go talk to Reddas. I'm debating if I should just teleport there or fight my way up and over. But I do have some hunts to do so maybe I'll just teleport to wherever the hunts are and do them? lol

Tetsujin

he/they
AKA
Tets

Maybe you're just slow. ;D

Usually the story in FF games takes me around 25-30 hours. I still haven't completed 12 though. I might start a new game again someday. There's plenty of time before FF13 comes out anyway.

Max Payne

Banned
AKA
Leon S. Kennedy,Terry Bogard, The Dark Knight, Dacon, John Marston, Teal'c

I beat the game in 70 hours, counting all of the hunts but the final one : /

Teva

hai a/s/l plz?
AKA
Queen of Sunshine / QoS / Suiseiseki / Desudesudesu / Teva / Teva'ni

At the moment I've clocked in over 150 hours on FF12 alone. Eh I have no life, :( I'll admit it. Lol, I just recently beat the Trickster and storywise I'm supposed to be in Giruvegan. I already defeated the Tyrant who I pwned epically and now I have to whoop Ultima's Holyja-casting butt. The way I see it, I might as well tackle the plethora of hunts I have left now and then dive straight back into the storyline again.

Arianna

Holy, Personified
AKA
Katie; Seta.

With this run through, I'm at around 105 hours. I'm supposed to be on my way to Mt. Bur Omisace for the first time.

It's easy to rack up the time; but, in my case, I'm spending time on leveling up and loot. I'm working to get everyone to level 40.

My first two run throughs had me going everywhere when I was really ready to tackle the ending (last bosses, etc.) This time around, I wish to not do so much at the last minute.

My largest file had a time of over 300 hours; everything was completed as far as trophy hunts and the clan hunts - including Yiazmat (which is a loooooooooooooooooong battle. In fact, all I had to do was fill out the journal and try for the different high level weapons, as well as fight Omega Mark XII...

Hint: if Yiazmat casts restore (he can totally heal himself even if you have him down to his last HP bar), just start over from your last save - and save before you start that battle. You can come and go from the arena when you have to and as often as you like.) To interrupt him from casting restore, be absolutely ready to fight when you get back into the arena.

Also, remember to steal each time you go and come back from the fight with Yiazmat, as one can repeatedly steal from him each start of a new wave of battle.

My question is this: After Marilith, the BradyGames guide says their's a 'fun little side' to this story (you don't get anything, and you are to check back later for it) - as you are getting this ingredient for the bar tender for Migelo. Has anyone experienced this little side after they beat the snake and turned in to the petitioner for the reward? I've tried but - I don't get anything out of Migelo or the bar tender...? How can I experience this little side event?

@ Tennyo: You're welcome. :)

Cthulhu

Administrator
AKA
Yop

[quote author=Tennyo link=topic=340.msg17280#msg17280 date=1234428205]
Oh my, today I realized that I've surpassed 100 hours on this game, and still no story climax in sight! When does it end?! *faints* I'm used to games where the story takes no more than 70 hours. :P
[/quote]

Psht, 70's a whole lot. I've only played two or three games or so in the last over nine-thousaaand years that took more than fifty hours, FFXII and Oblivion. There's the 200+ hours I got in Counter-strike, of course, but that's not a story game and has a high 'replay' value, if you'd call it that. 70 hours for a game is a luxury, considering a lot of the mainstream titles, and FPS games in particular, take less than ten to finish.

Frostwave

lil' rice krispies
AKA
Elizabeth, Selda

With this run through, I'm at around 105 hours. I'm supposed to be on my way to Mt. Bur Omisace for the first time.

That's where I'm at, too. =D My clock says 65:49.

Arianna

Holy, Personified
AKA
Katie; Seta.

[quote author=Leanan Sidhe link=topic=340.msg17788#msg17788 date=1234575733]

That's where I'm at, too. =D My clock says 65:49.
[/quote]

Well, it's not quantity but quality...

Or in this case, what level are you and does your hour count include the side quests such as answering Ktjn's questions, the hunts, the elite hunts (you have to learn about them from MontBlanc), etc.?

I'm not challenging or trying to offend you, I'm just saying the story itself wouldn't really take much time, I would think - it's all the leveling and added sides that pack on the hours.

I guess it also depends on how good of a gamer one is, but I'm not really sure about what that term means.

PS: My goal is to get the characters up to level 40 before moving on to see the Gran Kiltias.

Frostwave

lil' rice krispies
AKA
Elizabeth, Selda

Wait. Sorry if I gave you the idea that I was trying to compete or something. I didn't mean it that way.

It was more like, "Oh, hey. Look. We're both at the exact same part of the game at the same time!" as a non-important but kinda neat type thing, y'know?

The time was just the difference.

But I'll just answer the questions anyway. ^^

Lesse:

My main party, which is Vaan, Ashe, and Basch right now, are at level 33. The rest of the party are all around 28 or so.

I've been doing the hunts as they become available(with a few exceptions; some of the hunts are kinda difficult for my level), but I've left a fair bit of the sidequests for later.

Edley

Pray for Sound
AKA
Issac Dian, Dudley, Chev Chelios

The Hunt Club was fun and the battle system definitely freed the gameplay up. The characters seemed to support the story well enough, though there was nothing really standout to me besides Gabranth and Larsa. Also, the way the cinematics and story played out felt like it owed a lot more to American cinema then previous FF's. But that's prolly just me.

Arianna

Holy, Personified
AKA
Katie; Seta.

Regarding Fomalhaut - you can get this if you revisit the den the Antlion (an elite mark via Mont'Blanc) was in. You could get something else or gil, but I wished to post this, as someone was asking about it before.

Regarding Zodiac Spear - I believe someone may have said this before, but you do have a second chance of getting this item via the hidden advanced areas of Henne Mines (you must talk to the Garif Geomancer to get access.) This path (and it's long with no save crystals!) leads to Zodiark; after you defeat Zodiark, it will all connect together to make the path much simpler.

[quote author=Leanan Sidhe link=topic=340.msg17834#msg17834 date=1234587050]Wait. Sorry if I gave you the idea that I was trying to compete or something. I didn't mean it that way.[/quote]

That's okay. I wasn't sure which way you were going, so I answering in like to my feelings. It's really okay, and I hope I didn't offend. :)

Well, I've completed Paramina, Mt. Bur Omisace, the Stillshrine of Miriam, and the return to Mt. Bur Omisace.

My clock is presently at 149 hours, and I've completed a few hunts (Trickster, Feral Retriever, Antlion, Bloodwing, and Vorpal Bunny to name a few of the latest ones.) I'm now ready to head on to Archades, as is the point of the story I'm at.

The reason I'm taking so long is to get the best out of loot and level up. I want to get the best weapons this time around, and see if I can't get one of every package at the Bazaar. So, yeah, I'm heading for level 99 and the highest Clan ranks.

I am not totally looking forward to Yiazmat and Hell Wyrm fights, but I will do them (they take so darn long!) At least you can leave, refresh, save, and go back into battle where you stopped.

Lastly, I do wish to try the Mark Omega XII this time around (totally optional level 99 boss somewhere in Guruvegan's Great Crystal.)

My guys (all of them) are at level 49.

You know what I am learning though? It's a real shame too, but some of the more powerful effects come from the weaker weapons. :P Hand bombs for instance - stun bombs cause stop, which was very helpful in the Barheim Passage's hidden areas (on the way to Zalera/Garamsythe Waterway.)

The one thing that irritates me is that some of the animals/monsters are weak against an element that we are only given one if any level of that element for magick. Water, for one; Earth - now there's one we should have been given some magicks for - but no. Some of the ranged weapons carry earth status - Artemis arrows and Mud Shot (hand bombs).

Even with the confusion in the story (which is sort-of fading away after this third play through and listening more carefully, I guess) the game is really fun with all the myriad scenarios one can come across. It truly engulfs the player in really exploring the lands and taking interest in what's going on.

Frostwave

lil' rice krispies
AKA
Elizabeth, Selda

That's okay. I wasn't sure which way you were going, so I answering in like to my feelings. It's really okay, and I hope I didn't offend.

Nah, of course not.

Well, I've completed Paramina, Mt. Bur Omisace, the Stillshrine of Miriam, and the return to Mt. Bur Omisace.

Hehehe. I'm still climbing up the Paramina Rift. I stopped playing for a few days, because I got Grim Grimoire and I wanted to try it out. I just started back up last night.

The one thing that irritates me is that some of the animals/monsters are weak against an element that we are only given one if any level of that element for magick. Water, for one; Earth - now there's one we should have been given some magicks for - but no. Some of the ranged weapons carry earth status - Artemis arrows and Mud Shot (hand bombs).

I know. The party really shouldn't be limited to weak spells of any element. I don't wanna use Espers to exploit regular enemies' weak points.

I should try those bombs, too. I haven't tried 'em yet.

Last edited:
Top Bottom