Final Fantasy XIII Non-Spoiler Thread

Tennyo

Higher Further Faster
Yeah, she was just an actress, not the one in charge.

As far as looks go I think she'd be awesome, however I couldn't say for certain if she'd be able to really garner the essence of her character, you know?

Super Mario

IT'S A ME!
AKA
Jesse McCree. I feel like a New Man
hahahaha! Mega 64 did a skit one time in Japan, John Cena and the "X" pose the japanese gave him.

Tennyo

Higher Further Faster
I actually thought that vid was funny, Drake. I hate that video that SE put up with the douche bag host. Haaaaaate it. I love that someone parodied it. XD

DrakeClawfang

The Wanderer of Time
I actually thought that vid was funny, Drake. I hate that video that SE put up with the douche bag host. Haaaaaate it. I love that someone parodied it. XD

The original trailer was lame, yes. But the parody was even lamer, I just didn't really find it funny. I especially hated the joke at the end. Like, in the first place, Secret of Evermore kicked ass. But more importantly, it was just a really random joke to toss out. It could have been cute if he said "you guys know this game will suck right?", but he just tossed out something totally out of nowhere and unrelated, it just didn't make sense.

DrakeClawfang

The Wanderer of Time
I guess I don't know anything about Secret of Evermore so I didn't catch how it was so random. :/

Secret of Evermore was a Super NES rpg Square made over a decade ago, entirely related to the FF series except for a cameo by Cecil as a merchant. It wasn't like KH where there were references, it was an entirely different game with absolutely no similarities to FF in terms of plot, gameplay or character design.

So yeah, it was entirely random.

Last edited:

Super Mario

IT'S A ME!
AKA
Yeah, so this is probably the most important game ever released. Infact, to even call it a "game" would be incredibly insulting. If someone asked me, "Would you die for Final Fantasy XIII?" I would. I would pull the trigger on myself right there. That's how crazy I am right now.

Cannon_Fodder

Pro Adventurer
I guess I don't know anything about Secret of Evermore so I didn't catch how it was so random. :/

Anyway, anyone seen this yet? http://www.andriasang.com/e/blog/2009/12/02/ffxiii_update/

Thanks for the link, it was a good read. Honestly, Cid and Rygdea or whatever his name is are exactly what I expected them to be, but I'm not complaining. They still sound pretty cool.

And am I the only one who thinks the airship is supposed to be named 'Lindblum' not 'Lindblom'?

DrakeClawfang

The Wanderer of Time
It is, I just compared the characters (リンドブルム) in the article with those on the Lindblum page on FFWiki. They're the same, the airship is called Lindblum!

Super Mario

IT'S A ME!
AKA
One question. is The Big Bad Jihl , The Fal'Cie or this priest guy (leader of Cocoon)? this strangely reminds me of DMC4 if the latter is The Big Bad.

Dark and Divine

Pro Adventurer
AKA
D&D
My bet is Jihl.

She will probably kill the old guy,
choking him between her boobs
, take control of Sanctum, absorb the power of a few Fal'Cie, grow wings and become the fallen madonna with the big boobies. :monster:

Super Mario

IT'S A ME!
AKA
You mean go One Winged Angel. typical final boss, and predicatbly there will be an OVER 9000 strongass optional boss somewhere in Pulse.

Glaurung

Forgot the cutesy in my other pants. Sorry.
AKA
Mama Dragon
It is, I just compared the characters (リンドブルム) in the article with those on the Lindblum page on FFWiki. They're the same, the airship is called Lindblum!

Nice reference to FFIX :joy:

Mantichorus

"I've seen enough."
AKA
Kris; Mantichorus; Sam Vimes; Neku Sakuraba; Koki Kariya; Hazama; CuChulainn; Yu Narukami; Mewtwo; Rival Silver; Suicune; Kanata; Professor Oak; The Brigadier; VIII; The Engineer
My bet is Jihl.

She will probably kill the old guy,
choking him between her boobs
, take control of Sanctum, absorb the power of a few Fal'Cie, grow wings and become the fallen madonna with the big boobies. :monster:
Listen carefully, I shall say zis only once:

This post rocks. :monster:

And FFIX references are always welcome. Like what the French soccer football team did.

Cannon_Fodder

Pro Adventurer
Thanks Drake, knowing it's actually Lindblum makes me happy:lol:
IX needs more love...

Also, while I appreciate Dark and Divine's intense insight, I really hope that doesn't happen. I'm okay with most of the cliches, just as long as she doesn't get wings. Enough of that shit, really.

aniron

it's me in a labyrinth
AKA
spirit chaser
dunno about galenth, but rygdea looks evil.
and im pretty sure raines is a good guy. :awesome:

The Twilight Mexican

Ex-SeeD-ingly good
AKA
TresDias

DrakeClawfang

The Wanderer of Time
I have to say, FF13's battle systems sounds "interesting" to say the least. It uses what sounds like a variation of the Sphere Grid and the License Board -

Experience points are not featured in the game, and characters grow in power in a system similar to the Sphere Grid from Final Fantasy X called the "Crystarium System". Characters win Crystarium Points (CP) in battle, and can use these CP to purchase stat boosts, spells and other abilities on a circular chart. The skills a character learns affects their ability to learn other skills and open new paths on the chart - learning Fire, for example, opens a skill path that leads to Fira and other spells.

I liked both those systems, so the skill system sounds good.

Because of the "ATB Cost" points, there is no MP in the game.

A bold change but a sensible one given the ATB Cost system.

Also, since magic cannot be used outside of battle, the party's HP is completely restored after every battle....there is no way to escape from battles once they're initiated. If a battle ends in defeat, the player has the option to either try it again or return to the previous save point.

These two aspects seem to balance each other to me. Each battle is its own, you don't have to endure a gauntlet of random encounters meant to wear you down. But then, if you can't escape from battle and they're already anticipating the player dying in battle often enough to need the "try again" feature, I assume (hope) that the battles will be more difficult to provide the challenge that is not being provided by the concept of enduring a gauntlet of enemies. So while enemies won't wear you down over time as you play through a dungeon, since you aren't getting worn down I think it stands to reason that enemies are stronger than in previous FF games.

There are items that can be used to avoid battles, though, and each enemy is marked by its difficulty level with a symbol in the field as the player approaches them.

Wise, the player can pick and choose their battles as in FF12. I've no opposition to that, as long as it's balanced appropriately of course.

Overall, FF13's battle system doesn't blow me away, but it's definitely different and sounds like it may not be horrible. The option to just try battles again when you lose, though, gives me nightmares of Mystic Quest. I pray this isn't the case.

Top Bottom