• There are currently leaks out on the internet for FFVII Rebirth; we have received legal notice about these being posted on the forums. Do not post any images, videos, or other media, or links to them from FFVII Rebirth or the artbook. Any leaked media or links to them will be deleted.Repeat offenders will be suspended.
    Please help us out by reporting any leaks, and do not post spoilers outside of the spoiler section.

Final Fantasy XIII Non-Spoiler Thread

Cat Rage Room

Great Old One
AKA
Mog
Re: Final Fantasy XIII

You can say he passes for a normal looking black person, which he kinda does, but that's not saying he's a typical black person

That's basically what I'm trying to say. He passes for a normal looking black guy, at least what you'd usually see where I live and work, in the East Coast. He doesn't have crazy hair, he doesn't have any features that look like they're from another race, some unreal colored eyes, or whatever.

I'm not saying that there's a universal template for black people, but considering that people in other communities have seen this character and they're basically saying the same thing (including stuff like 'He looks like my dad/the guy who lives down the street/my teacher/this actor") or whatever, says what I'm saying, he looks like a regular dude.

Max Payne

Banned
AKA
Leon S. Kennedy,Terry Bogard, The Dark Knight, Dacon, John Marston, Teal'c

He looks african american thanks to his skin, that's all. There's nothing average about his features, at least in this day and age when so many people have interbred together. FFS my cousin has dark skin but green eyes.

And that is some pretty crazy hair.

Cat Rage Room

Great Old One
AKA
Mog

Well besides his hair of course.

Well, I guess I must live in a boring city, then. New York must be pretty BORING and AVERAGE compared to the CRAAAAZZZYYYYY places you guys live in.

looneymoon

they/them
AKA
Rishi

Even in the FF realm... the black man found the chicken. OH SNAP.
...That was a joke, btw :(

but seriously, I don't really see what's the big deal. I think he just looks like some black guy with kinda offbeat clothing ???

Call guilty for having a seperate standard for FF games, but to be quite honest I find this refreshing despite how stereotypical he may seem to some. I was getting a little tired of the over abundance of Wapanezey characters that generally look way too similar to another. At least this guy gives us something radically different from that.

Max Payne

Banned
AKA

He looks too much like the stereotypical goofyass black guy so common in Hollywood movies.

That's all, hence the waiting to see if his personality is shit.

ForceStealer

Double Growth

I'm amazed Barret hasn't come up yet. At the risk of inciting more shit, where does he lie? He's pretty goofy, but he still never really struck me as a hollywood black guy (in FF7, I can understand that he does now). To be perfectly honest, I never even noticed that he looked like Mr. T until I read it some where.

In fact, I paid so little attention to Barret's race that, until Dyne, I had fully accepted that Marlene was Barret's daughter, despite her being white.

Max Payne

Banned
AKA

I never once thought Barret looked anything like Mr T.

Never. And I always figured Marlene was adopted.

Makoeyes987

Listen closely, there is meaning in my words.
AKA
Smooth Criminal

Honestly, Nomura has never fucked up black character designs, hence why I'm not worried about this guy.

He looks a bit funny, but I'm sure it'll be offset by his character and actual portrayal in the game. That, and how different he is will make him an interesting character to me.

Hell I could be wrong and he ends up like one of the PJs or something but I find that very doubtful. Why the hell would Nomura make a stereotype now? It just wouldn't make any sense.

Max Payne

Banned
AKA

Because Nomura is not in charge?

FemCloud wasn't his idea either.

Makoeyes987

AKA
Smooth Criminal

Kitase wouldn't make a stereotype either. Look at all the other projects he's been on.

I just find it hard to believe we'd go from badass Kiros of FFVIII, to Grandpa Sanford now in FFXIII.

It'd be bizarre, retarded, and backwards.

Max Payne

Banned
AKA

Or different as so many of you love to say.

Makoeyes987

AKA
Smooth Criminal

Different as in..."good different."

Not "shit on a plate and serve it to you and call it new" different. :monster:

Max Payne

Banned
AKA

You know you just described how FFXIII looks to me right?

At least Versus looks better than this.

Teva

hai a/s/l plz?
AKA
Queen of Sunshine / QoS / Suiseiseki / Desudesudesu / Teva / Teva'ni

I just looked at this character design on Final Fantasy XII.net and honestly I got this very odd feeling while looking at his overall design. Something about it just strikes me as slightly stereotypical and I think it just has something to do with his afro and the coat and his whole posture.

. . . It rubs me the wrong way and I just hope that he isn't used merely as a comic relief character. Although according to the small blurb at the bottom he's supposed to be very "gentle hearted" and " . . . easily moved to tears, possesses good judgment and a sense of social responsibility."

Eh I'm just not digging his design for some reason . . .

Nocturne

Watching Thee From The Moon
AKA
Just Nocturne will do

haha I think he will be somewhat comical too though. He just seems like while he will be a good person, he will be a jokester too.

The thing is, I think it's funny how some are saying he looks like a stereotypical black man in hollywood movies, when in fact, most of the time there is a black person in one of those movies, a black person made the role and played it. Take Eddie Murphy, or the guy who did Undercover Brother, ect ect ect.

Max Payne

Banned
AKA

[quote author=Nocturne link=topic=143.msg8632#msg8632 date=1232056736]

The thing is, I think it's funny how some are saying he looks like a stereotypical black man in hollywood movies, when in fact, most of the time there is a black person in one of those movies, a black person made the role and played it. Take Eddie Murphy, or the guy who did Undercover Brother, ect ect ect.
[/quote]

What's your point? That's part of the problem with crap like that.

Makoeyes987

AKA
Smooth Criminal

People said the same shit about Barret too.

I guess I just have more faith. Final Fantasy has never given us an stereotypical token black comic relief, so why in hell during the 21st Century would they start now?

There's no history of this ever happening in Final Fantasy. I mean I get the fear, and how one could see it, but it hasn't happened at all, thus...why not actually believe what the character description of him is, wait, and see for yourselves. He looks different (in a non-shit way :monster: ) and if his character is awesome, I'll probably end up liking him a lot, just like I did for Barret.

@Dacon

You're crazy. Now I know it for sure. I totally find nothing of real interest in Vs XIII myself. Now THAT looks boring, derivative and the same old Nomura. What the fuck? FFXIII is looking to be the more interesting one!

Makoeyes987

AKA
Smooth Criminal

You're all insane here.

All of you who don't agree with me :monster:

Give me a lead female protagonist with a diverse cast of buddies instead of the same old badass looking, sword wielding main character of Versus.

Max Payne

Banned
AKA

[quote author=Makoeyes987 link=topic=143.msg8637#msg8637 date=1232057875]

You're crazy. Now I know it for sure. I totally find nothing of real interest in Vs XIII myself. Now THAT looks boring, derivative and the same old Nomura. What the fuck? FFXIII is looking to be the more interesting one!
[/quote]

I don't mind derivative Noruma as much as the rest of you fags. Besides, the character designs in that aren't as lame as FFXIII.

So far we've got FemCloud, Seifer 2.0(Doesn't really look that bad tbh), generic bubbly high energy looking girl, and Afro gunman.

Lame. I'd rather boring designs than awkward ones. My opinion is different from yours so I'm crazy?

Don't make daddy spank.

spirit_chaser

Pro Adventurer

You're all insane here.

All of you who don't agree with me :monster:

Give me a lead female protagonist with a diverse cast of buddies instead of the same old badass looking, sword wielding main character of Versus.

Noct is not my favorite character from Versus so far. Id even say that he's the least favorite.
But the overall atmosphere of the game is far more appealing to me.

Max Payne

Banned
AKA

Lol diverse. Sure whatever mako.

As far as the main character from Versus goes, he looks more Pathetic than badass to me. He's got that sort of puppy dog face.

Makoeyes987

AKA
Smooth Criminal

FemCloud's hot, badass, and a lead female in a male dominated main character set. Win.

That fucker doesn't even look like Seifer unless Seifer suddenly started growing facial hair, growing his hair out, decided to look like a man, and actually not be an asshole who never changes facial expression. Oh, and their faces look nothing the same :monster: The only reason people are bringing up any similarity is the coat and the beanie (which Seifer only wore in KH2 and had the kanji for "ore" on it).

And fuck it, Nomura's going to have character that look like others he did. I understand that. It's the pitfall of any character designer. The same can be said for every other S-E character designer to date. It's only more noticeable with Nomura cause he's done the most recent work. Back in the 80s and early 90s every female Amano character's artwork looked the same.

However, Nomura's work in Versus looks very much the same, painfully. (and don't get me started on "The World Ends With You...ugh) Why do we need another badass male hero? We've got Cloud, Squall, Zack, and so many other's he's recently done. I appreciate that they wear more normal clothes but that isn't enough. FFXIII is definitely something new and I'm glad Lightning is in the main game rather than that fucker Noctis.

And yes, you are crazy. Insane even. My opinion is the pentacle of all reason in dis fread. :monster:

Max Payne

Banned
AKA

You talk all that shit and think FFXIII is new? You're fucking insane you cocksucker. I'm insane? You're such a fucking retard. Any idiot can tell FFXIII is full of the same old shit.

Bite me faggit.

I fucking hate you nigger.

Makoeyes987

AKA
Smooth Criminal

Well I hate you too cocksucker!

And again, I understand Nomura is always going to be Nomura. That's not my problem. It's when it's just so glaringly the same, that it vexes me. Like, "The World Ends With You." When I first saw it, I thought it was a new KH title or something.

FFXIII looks different enough and you know it, you goddamn crazy bastard. Cease your futile argumentation against my logic!!! Else I shall resort to throwing more insults to thus further strengthen my logical standing! :monster:

Top Bottom