• There are currently leaks out on the internet for FFVII Rebirth; we have received legal notice about these being posted on the forums. Do not post any images, videos, or other media, or links to them from FFVII Rebirth or the artbook. Any leaked media or links to them will be deleted.Repeat offenders will be suspended.
    Please help us out by reporting any leaks, and do not post spoilers outside of the spoiler section.

Final Fantasy XV (was Versus XIII)

looneymoon

they/them
AKA
Rishi
As I finally reached chapter 5 today (and lvl36 lolz), I feel that I should make an update re: the chocobos speed, because yeah, once you lose the car, they become much much faster, which is just better to travel. It could be better, but it doesn't feel sluggish anymore.

As for the story, I'm finally curious about it after that last flashback of Noctis in a wheelchair. I wonder what happened there?

There is definitely something that happens! But maybe... not something you see in the game :monster:

Eerie

Fire and Blood
So, I read a spoiler about this game (by mistake because I was going blind on this) and now I... kinda don't want to play anymore.

The fact that Noctis dies is a bigger hurdle to me than any sided quest they could throw at me, honestly. It's something I've always disliked in games, when the protag dies, because I get attached to the character and I don't want to lose all those hours of farming. Believe it or not in Diablo (the FIRST ONE) I have never killed Diablo because I did not want my character to become Diablo lol.

Oh well. It's not like I don't have other stuff to farm (now this is hard for a completionist...).

looneymoon

they/them
AKA
Rishi
If it helps motivate you, I honestly feel like the final sections of FFXV are the most rewarding parts. Games are a big time investment though, especially for a completionist playthrough. I'm a big proponent of moving onto something else if you're not enjoying your time with a game :monster:

Last edited:

Wol

None Shall Remember Those Who Do Not Fight
AKA
Rosarian Shield
To be honest, many played the game knowing the main story bits because they were leaked on 4chan months before release, including me.

Glaurung

Forgot the cutesy in my other pants. Sorry.
AKA
Mama Dragon

As for the story, I'm finally curious about it after that last flashback of Noctis in a wheelchair. I wonder what happened there?

You should have watched the anime. Here's what happened:

When he was a kid, while traveling outside the city, the convoy transporting him was attacked by a daemon. Noctis was the only survivor, but was wounded and had to be bound to a wheelchair. That was why Regis took him and went to Tenebrae so the kid could heal, and there's where Noctis met Luna

looneymoon

they/them
AKA
Rishi
I really find S-E's habit of multimedia, cross platform releases to be really anti-consumer and incredibly scummy. Yes, to understand the enitrety of project's story, please buy these 10 light novels included in a separate ultimate edition released later, a tie-in movie, an anime, and a bunch of sequel games available on a different system... and also the system if you don't have it! I'm exaggerating a little here, but I am also not too far off the mark. They've done this with KH, FF7, FF13, and FF15... :rclosedmonster:

Ofc, we live in a post-loot box world, so this kind of shit doesn't look that unethical in the context of the wider video game industry right now. I also kind of forgive it in FFXV, because it seems like it was a nightmare to work on, and I truly have sympathy for anyone trying to put that project together. When I first booted it up, and I saw the list of studios credited in the title screen... I winced and felt sad. It didn't come together to be anything great in the end, but I still enjoyed it more than I thought I would. I would argue that there are some very specific things it does that I liked better than FF7R, but that's a pretty short list :P

Last edited:

Glaurung

Forgot the cutesy in my other pants. Sorry.
AKA
Mama Dragon
I like the fact that there are animes and a movie and a light novel, my complain is how everything is needed to understand a great part of the game, yet there are barely any tie-ins between all the other media and the game. The battle against the Marilith could have been featured in the game, with flashbacks to the attack when Noctis was a little kid. The repercusions of what happened at Insomnia could have been mentioned in the main game instead of the Comrades expansion, which tbh feels so disconnected fromt he main story (would it kill them to feature Cor Leonis at the base as a permanent resident just like Monica and Dustin? C'mon!).

But it is as Looney says. When one learns about how chaotic the whole development went and how they had to start from scratch and put together a whole game in such a short period of time, it feels like a miracle that they could create something decent. It has it's faults, but I still consider FFXV's story as one of the best in the FF series.

Last edited:

The Twilight Mexican

Ex-SeeD-ingly good
AKA
TresDias
Fantastic to see this! I've just gone ahead with pre-ordering it.

Apparently the official English localization to "Dawn of the Future" kind of stealth-released as an ebook a couple of weeks back? Damn. I missed that. The print release is coming in a little over a week, though, so not long to wait.

AKA
Alex
I like the fact that there are animes and a movie and a light novel, my complain is how everything is needed to understand a great part of the game, yet there are barely any tie-ins between all the other media and the game. The battle against the Marilith could have been featured in the game, with flashbacks to the attack when Noctis was a little kid. The repercusions of what happened at Insomnia could have been mentioned in the main game instead of the Comrades expansion, which tbh feels so disconnected fromt he main story (would it kill them to feature Cor Leonis at the base as a permanent resident just like Monica and Dustin? C'mon!).

That's the problem with a lot of modern franchises/long-runners, though - they expect you to read EU material in order to understand the full "scope" of the story. Doubly so if it's a series that starts contradicting canon as it drags on. It's not just FF that does this. The nadir is still the Rise of Skywalker marketing - want to hear the full message Palpatine was broadcasting (that isn't heard on-screen)? You had to have played Fortnite to hear it, as it was promoted as such.

One of my favourite franchises, Deus Ex, is nigh-impossible to follow unless you're a diehard fan of the game and know all of the source material (i.e. books, tie-in games, comics). Did you want to know what happened to Adam Jensen between missions four and five of Human Revolution? There's a four-part comic series that deals with that. His actions during the otherwise-unmentioned "Mexicantown Massacre"? Same comic. There's an entire novel/tie-in game series that runs parallel to the prequel games and involves three characters, only one of whom makes an appearance in Mankind Divided, in which she only obliquely refers to the events of the one tie-in game (The Fall). It got to such a point that you have to refer to an artbook to find out the identities of the double-agents within Task Force 29 and Janus' identity!

When I can set aside time, I intend to get into XV with mods, though I've got so many prospective titles on the plate that it's hard for me to get into a game that requires me to view multiple pieces of tie-in media just to understand chunks of the story.

Top Bottom