• There are currently leaks out on the internet for FFVII Rebirth; we have received legal notice about these being posted on the forums. Do not post any images, videos, or other media, or links to them from FFVII Rebirth or the artbook. Any leaked media or links to them will be deleted.Repeat offenders will be suspended.
    Please help us out by reporting any leaks, and do not post spoilers outside of the spoiler section.

Final Fantasy XVI

looneymoon

they/them
AKA
Rishi
idk, to me it feels less like a FF game without a ragtag group of diverse heroes. I didn't like FFXV for a lot of reasons, but I really think the lack of diversity in its cast was to its detriment. Especially since there were 4 girls that should have been main party members, and would have enhanced stuff going on in the plot.

Regardless, FF has been consistently good at appealing to gamer girls, which is also an important thing to keep in mind.

Anyways, all this turning into summons thing is making me think of Terra, who is one of my top faves. I hope we get a cool girl character that can turn into a big ol' scary monster.

LNK

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Nate
Random dude to new blonde woman (or maybe the protag, the cut makes it ambiguous): "What do you mean you refuse!? Did you not pledge your sword to our cause?" - impossible to know what this is about because we don't really know who he's talking to, but if it's the blonde woman who responds "it was the Dhalmeks who drew back the crusaders in the battle of the twin realms was it not?" it sounds like she's having a lil mic drop "fuck u" moment and I live

I really think she is from the same group as the protag from Agni's Philosophy. The similarities are definitely there

Wol

None Shall Remember Those Who Do Not Fight
AKA
Rosarian Shield
Some interesting tidbit differences in dialogue for the Japanese trailer
Does that mean the player character is Joshua’s older brother?

Also looks like the player character can channel multiple Eikon powers throughout the game, including Garuda.
I think his brother is that knight with short blond hair wearing red-coloured armor. The one that says: Impossible when Ifrit appears.

Wol

None Shall Remember Those Who Do Not Fight
AKA
Rosarian Shield
another thing that I appreciate (after watching a dozen of times) is the current quality of the voice acting and writing.

Not a single forced or cringy line was used, it sounds mature and realistic

Obsidian Fire

Ahk Morn!
AKA
The Engineer
Speaking of diversity, while I don't care too much as long as the characters are engaging and believable, I must say 9 has the kind of diversity that I would love to see more of. Fictional races, age and gender differences, etc. Don't think we've had something like that in a while.
Both the FF MMOs have a lot more racial diversity than the other modern FF titles do. And the cultural differences to go with that (a solid half of FFXIV's plot is mainly cultural clashes) and it at least has NPCs with a pretty good age range.
I find something really fascinating in the way that Yoshida projects seem to be sort of descended of Ivalice. It's like FF is old enough to have children, essentially. I'm already feeling like this game will land a reaction not unlike XII's in its day, for just so obviously being the product of a different creative lineage.
One of the interesting things about the Creative Devision III is seeing how many environment artists, character designers, and story writers all worked on FFXII. A lot of them are also young enough to have played the early FF games as... normal people who liked playing video games. It's been mentioned by several of those creative devs in panels how it was the early FF games that inspired them to want to work in video-game development to begin with.

Saying that the FF franchise is old enough to have creative children is... not a bad way to put it. The series is old enough now where you have people who played FF games as kids are now making FF games. I think it's natural that they're going to see different things they can do with the series' staple concepts than the original creators did.

Odysseus

Ninja Potato
AKA
Ody
I'm reminded of Nomura's comment on how the deciding factor behind committing to remaking FF7 was because a lot of the original developers were getting old and they might not be able to do it if they wait any longer. It's like we're seeing the last big work of the old guard side by side with the new generation in XVI. Kinda neat.

Clement Rage

Pro Adventurer
A gender balance is one of the top three things I look for (and if it's included in the evil henchpeople, I'm sold...although the exception appears to be TLOU2.), it's a significant part of what I look for in the things I read/watch. But be honest about it, don't start going 'we finally get women' and when people start pointing out examples you can't go 'she doesn't count. Or her. Or her. Or her.'and then go write yaoi smut while complaining we don't have enough representation of women in fandom.

Sorry. Too much time on AO3 and to a lesser extent tumblr.

Edit: I still think Lightning and Cloud have nothing in common. They look, act, and think differently, their backgrounds are similar only in being 21. Light has a gruff facade because it's all that's keeping her from breaking down, Cloud's brain is poisoned by Mako and JENOVA.

Last edited:

Saven

Pro Adventurer
another thing that I appreciate (after watching a dozen of times) is the current quality of the voice acting and writing.

Not a single forced or cringy line was used, it sounds mature and realistic

Yeah, I got major FFXII vibes from the voice acting and I LOVE that game's voice acting. Square-Enix has done a fantastic job on all FF titles voice acting-wise since FFXV, I'm so happy they finally focused on this area after being bad there for a long time with most games prior.

Theozilla

Kaiju Member
Rewatching the trailer again on a larger screen and keeping the slight Japanese line differences in mind, I think the little kid Joshua might be linked to both Phoenix and Ifrit, not just one or the other. It seems like like after he gets traumatized and splashed with blood he summons Phoenix but then loses control and then transforms physically into Ifrit, which is why the older blonde bearded guy (if he's Joshua's older brother) is pleading for Joshua "to wake up" (in English) and/or for others to not attack him (in Japanese) when Ifrit is going berserk and spilling blood.

Tetsujin

he/they
AKA
Tets

tenor.gif

Lestat

He/him
AKA
Ergo, V
Tin foil hat time!
Kid has the power of the phoenix and it manifests in that scene. Instead of granting power to him though it does what the phoenix normally does and kicks off a rebirth.

The kid turns out to be a reincarnated big baddy who held the power of ifrit. The two battle it out and ultimately the persona of the kid disappears and the big bad takes hold of the kids body.

Protagonist tries to save the kid only to be taken out by the big bad. Phoenix is on its last legs and decides to try and save itself and the MC by making him it's new host

Cat on Mars

Actually not a cat
The trailer was so atmospheric and... fantastic! I know some people find it bland, but it's hard for me to get so hyped about anything these days so this is all very unusual. This is the most hyped I've felt for anything FF since or before FF7R!

The most normal looking thing were the chocobos at the beginning of the trailer and that's how it should be since they are domestic animals in FF...
hey look, blood! On a kid's face! Summons, people are summons now?! I love it!

When I noticed that characters disappeared while using a summon materia my first thought was "Do they become the summon or something?". That's a very interesting angle for a Final Fantasy, from gameplay to story and characters.
Maybe I'm just hyped because I love monsters lol but even then I find it all very refreshing.

And politcal plotting and scheming for flavor, Tactics style.
And a MC who forgot how to use a haircomb. Face tattoos are kinda silly but it looks like a mark more than a tattoo. Maybe they all are branded..? As traitors, maybe?

Final Dark Fantasy. I dig it.

Slipstreamer

Rookie Adventurer
Underwhelming and bland.
Square-Enix seems to be suffering from shaky camera syndrome. Who's directing this, Michael Bay? As nauseating as watching Kingsglaive. Oh, and superfast Kingdom Hearts gameplay again -- yay (not). I can't see what's happening.
Character design...well, it looks like every other game, doesn't it. You can already see the (USA) box art now - Scarface, eyes down, holding a sword, looking moody.
Hey, Square, here's an really cool original idea to ramp up FFXVI marketing prior to release in 2037 - promise 23 bits of DLC (including Cloud's buster sword and Yuna's summoner dress), a CGI movie, an anime series and 12 phone games.
I was really hyped about Versus XIII/XV from the day it was announced. Then they said it would be a road trip with the Backstreet Boys and I was disappointed. Then I watched Kingsglaive. I still haven't bought XV. Hopefully XVI at least marks the death of XV.

Voice acting is uneventful - some awkward whispering and overacted lines in there - but I seem to be in the minority that think FFX had the best, most natural voice acting of the series. For most of the the trailer I had no idea which of the copy-paste characters are talking. Joshua's got a really deep voice sometimes!

Overall though, I really hope this prequel focuses more on the relationship between the Children of the Forest and the White Walkers, and I hope Bran the Builder is a playable character, and can summon a dire wolf.

Last edited:
Top Bottom