• There are currently leaks out on the internet for FFVII Rebirth; we have received legal notice about these being posted on the forums. Do not post any images, videos, or other media, or links to them from FFVII Rebirth or the artbook. Any leaked media or links to them will be deleted.Repeat offenders will be suspended.
    Please help us out by reporting any leaks, and do not post spoilers outside of the spoiler section.

Final Fantasy XVI

Ite

Save your valediction (she/her)
AKA
Ite
Yeah, I know about that. Bad people sometimes write good books.

The question stands. Are you judging a book on its bad representation without reading it?

Yes, absolutely, if your response to internet criticism for blatant transphobia is “you libtards are trying to cancel me, here’s a book about a crossdressing murderer” then I’ve already made up my mind about that book.

Makoeyes987

Listen closely, there is meaning in my words.
AKA
Smooth Criminal
You're right, it probably wasn't written exactly then.

However, it still speaks to her general prejudice and self identified beliefs, as it's not the first time she's utilized such blatantly transphobic rooted tropes in her pseudonym authored mystery novel series, either. Look at "The Silkworm." These novels mirror her precise belief in predatory "men in women's clothing who prey on women" belief, that TERFs in the UK adhere to religiously.

It's not accidental or unintentional. That's what she believes. It's ingrained in her, and it reflects in her writing.

Prism

Pro Adventurer
AKA
pikpixelart
The fact she went ahead with the idea, choosing to publish it even after the scandals, shows her mindset. I don't know why she's so deadset on appearing so intolerant. It's absolutely baffling. She must've known what it would look like to go forward with a novel with that premise.

Edit: Odysseus is right. But we didn't get to 20 pages strictly talking about a two-minute trailer, it seems. Or did we?

The Twilight Mexican

Ex-SeeD-ingly good
AKA
TresDias
What we have is a 2 minute short film that tells its own story; that is FF16, for now, and I think it should be looked at for its own merit and not just as a portent. I’m going to be annoying and call it a “short film” for the rest of this post because I really mean it when I say we should divorce what we’ve seen from what will eventually be a game that may/may not include what we’ve seen. Square was telling us something here with every frame, sound, and word. Looking at what we’ve been given isn’t prematurely damning or praising a future game, we can’t do that until we’ve played it. But we’ve seen this short film, we have been given lots. Editing is everything, and if this is the stuff they’re putting forward, the stuff they’re soliciting us with, then I’m of the mind that we should absolutely scrutinize it. Otherwise, they wouldn’t have shown us anything, would they?
This assessment would be more valuable if there was reason to believe the writer, director, or even producer cut this trailer -- but isn't that unlikely? =/

All I have to go off is this "short film" -- looking at it as merely an advertisement, it must only advertise more of what we saw... which was dudes.

What of the clearly powerful (in some form) woman at the war meeting? And again: Shiva?

Bad representation can be more harmful than no representation. Think of the "gay predator" stereotype, or J. K. Rowling's upcoming trans murderer book (ugh).

Not to disagree with your overall point on poor representation, but my understanding is that the character you're referencing is barely relevant to that book as a whole -- just one of a number of suspects mentioned in relation to the cold case the story is centered around.

Wol

None Shall Remember Those Who Do Not Fight
AKA
Rosarian Shield

so apparently the "I'll kill you" line can be either singular or plural the way its written in japanese.

the story is about breaking the ties with the crystals, which is why mc joined this group interested in killing dominants, so it makes sense if the meaning is "I'll kill them all".

conflict of interests will be interesting, since nations relies on crystals for survival and protection.

... but he still uses summon related attacks, so either he absorbs them after killing the dominants, or he possess a special affinity with the crystals (which he would despise if so, given his motivation).

Last edited:

Ite

Save your valediction (she/her)
AKA
Ite
Do you think that taking on the Mark is joining a holy crusade against Eikons?

After watching that translated trailer, I'm more intrigued by Ifrit vs. Phoenix. Joshua could indeed be Phoenix, and the blood splatter might not be Ifrit!Josh berseking his own bro to death, but Ifrit landing a killing blow to Phoenix! "That's my little brother!!" There's definitely a mood of battle being sudden, bloody, and out of control. Perhaps Joshua is someone to be avenged... :O

looneymoon

they/them
AKA
Rishi
I started a game of World of Final Fantasy. Between FFXV and WoFF, there seems to be a trend towards developing the summons as actual characters, with fleshed out personalities and relationships to the main cast. Not sure about FF14, but earlier entries do this a lot more sparingly (like Mog/Madeen in FF9). Given what appears in this trailer, I would not be surprised if FF16 will follow this trend.

Last edited:

Roger

He/him
AKA
Minato
Do you think that taking on the Mark is joining a holy crusade against Eikons?

After watching that translated trailer, I'm more intrigued by Ifrit vs. Phoenix. Joshua could indeed be Phoenix, and the blood splatter might not be Ifrit!Josh berseking his own bro to death, but Ifrit landing a killing blow to Phoenix! "That's my little brother!!" There's definitely a mood of battle being sudden, bloody, and out of control. Perhaps Joshua is someone to be avenged... :O

As the only name besides summoned spoken in the trailer, and spoke frequently, and Phoenix and Ifrit being the logo of the game, Joshua seems setup to be too important to die in the prologue.

Glaurung

Forgot the cutesy in my other pants. Sorry.
AKA
Mama Dragon
I started a game of World of Final Fantasy. Between FFXV and WoFF, there seems to be a trend towards developing the summons as actual characters, with fleshed out personalities and relationships to the main cast. Not sure about FF14, but earlier entries do this a lot more sparingly (like Mog/Madeen in FF9). Given what appears in this trailer, I would not be surprised if FF16 will follow this trend.

Just passing by to say that I absolutely LOVED WoFF. I'm a sucker for SD characters <3

Glaurung

Forgot the cutesy in my other pants. Sorry.
AKA
Mama Dragon
WoFF is very cute and charming! The script is actually making me laugh out loud sometimes too. I find something off about the way the characters look in big form (kinda... creepy?), but the chibi forms are so ;______;

JUST LOOK AT IT

View attachment 7761

YEEEEEEEEESSSS!!! They are all so cute in chibi form!!!!

Have you seen Sephiroth?

Can't take the man seriously after this ^^;

LNK

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Nate
I respect your conviction. I'm afraid I'm not so strong-willed though lol.

Lol I hear ya. With 7 Remake, I didn't care as much. Especially since I played the OG. With this, the story is brand new. I'm really curious about a couple of those female characters, so I'd rather wait to find out who they are when I play the game.

Obsidian Fire

Ahk Morn!
AKA
The Engineer
Thought about the differences between the ENG and JP version of the trailers... The FFXIV lore/story team has noted that the ENG audience asks them way more lore and story questions than the JP audience does. Which has led to the FFXIV ENG localization being done a certain way, namely that the team leaves things that don't have to be specified just yet unspecified so the ENG lore community has more unknown lore to discuss.

I wonder if part of the reason why the ENG version of the FFXVI trailer has a lot more terms and names and lot less explanation of who people/organization are is because they're using a similar type of logic for the trailer. The JP trailer gets an explanation of what the relationships between different groups of people are, while the ENG trailer gets more info about what what the names of those groups are.

It also seems that these voice lines weren't just recorded for the trailer, but were recorded for the actual game and are being pulled out of context for both languages. Which I think is why some of them are weird in their differences. The order for dialogue in scenes has to vary in different languages to get the same point across (and with similar tones), so it's very likely that the lines of dialogue in one language can't be used in a trailer while in the other language they can.

Top Bottom