• There are currently leaks out on the internet for FFVII Rebirth; we have received legal notice about these being posted on the forums. Do not post any images, videos, or other media, or links to them from FFVII Rebirth or the artbook. Any leaked media or links to them will be deleted.Repeat offenders will be suspended.
    Please help us out by reporting any leaks, and do not post spoilers outside of the spoiler section.

Final Fantasy XVI

Makoeyes987

Listen closely, there is meaning in my words.
AKA
Smooth Criminal
Considering those specific and highly unusual circumstances, I doubt that'll happen again.

This is developed in-house and they've grown out of using experimental proprietary engines. Jason also doesn't talk out of his ass. He's reliable. So it's more than likely we will be getting XVI far sooner than expected. Which means the XIV team has been developing this title all while simultaneously developing XIV's expansions.

That's incredible.

Makoeyes987

Listen closely, there is meaning in my words.
AKA
Smooth Criminal
Dunno if it'd be that soon. Maybe 1 year. Or a little more? Don't want to be too optimistic but it should be coming in a reasonable time frame. Definitely not another 4 years.

But 4 years knocked out already is incredible. That much of a head start is quite a chunk of development time... Square's been busy as fuck.

Wol

None Shall Remember Those Who Do Not Fight
AKA
Rosarian Shield
I mean it looks to be in a way better state than VIIR did in its first showing, and it didn't rely on target render setpieces and CGs like FFXIII/FFXV, you can already hear English voices as well. The combat doesn't look janky.

It was in development for a while and it shows.

Last edited:

Strangelove

AI Researcher
AKA
hitoshura
In the end it's less about how long development actually takes and more about how the public perceives that time. Announcing FFVIIR in 2015 and KH3 in 2013 was a mistake, because it felt like it took forever for them to come.
by “public development cycle” i meant the period where they have announced development but not yet released it, i still expect square to take 10 years to actually make things :monster:

(i didn’t know the best way to phrase it and i needed to catch my bus so i just posted what i had)

Odysseus

Ninja Potato
AKA
Ody
by “public development cycle” i meant the period where they have announced development but not yet released it, i still expect square to take 10 years to actually make things :monster:

(i didn’t know the best way to phrase it and i needed to catch my bus so i just posted what i had)

I got what you meant, I was agreeing with you lol. They should stop going public until things are farther along.

Obsidian Fire

Ahk Morn!
AKA
The Engineer
The FFXIV community has known for the past... one and a half to two years that Yoshida was producing something (but not directing it) that the rest of Creative Devision III was working on. What that was... no one knew. Now we know it's FFXVI. I can absolutely believe they've been working on it the game for four years if you include all the concept work that would go into making what is essentially a brand new IP in terms of world-building, characters, story, etc.

To give people some idea as to how "soon" things come out after Yoshids's division announces them... For Shadowbringers, the first fanfest was in mid November and dropped the first half of the CGI trailer, the name of the expansion and the general basic info about it including what two of the zones looked like in-game. The second fanfest was in early Febuary and dropped a slightly extended CGI trailer, more job info, more zone info and a lot of plot info. The third fanfest was in later March and revealed the entire CGI trailer, all the jobs, all the races and even more story details. The actual expansion released in late June.

So that's... seven months from when we first found out about the expansion to when it released. And yeah, that's for a game that is already out. But before that first fan-fest, there's honestly nothing indicating that an expansion is coming, let alone what it's called. The players kinda just assume it's coming because that is what has happened for the last six years and because Yoshida has mentioned that there will be a 6.0 patch series (and what plot it'll be wrapping up).

Given how far along the trailer for FFXVI is (all graphics are cutscenes or combat from the game, the VAs are from the game, etc.), FFXVI is really close to being done. While it's going to be more than seven months until it launches, it's not that hard to see the game being out a little over a year from now. Certainly two years from now it'll be out.

We even know when the next info on FFXVI is coming out: early 2021. So it's not even the situation where we have a game coming out eventually, but we have no idea when our next info dump will be. I wouldn't be surprised if the FFXVI dev team has a schedule of when all the info dumps for FFXVI will be until the launch of the game at this point. The FFXIV community had the timing on FFXIV info dumps (and patches!) all plotted out (until Covid hit) because that team kept to their release schedule like glue. And the amount of overlap between the FFXIV and FFXVI teams is staggering, so I wouldn't be surprised they're doing something similar.

looneymoon

they/them
AKA
Rishi
DMC5 probably went gold almost ~2 years from now, which is probably around the time when Ryoto Suzuki would have joined the project. I wonder how much was worked on before then, and how much of this "4 years in-development" number is including full production vs pre-production.

I'm gonna hazard a guess and say holidays 2021, or in the early months of 2022. I'm not sure how worth it is mentioning "sooner than expected" if we're getting into the 2-year territory and beyond.

That all said, the more I hear about this game, the more I'm feeling optimistic about it.

cold_spirit

he/him
AKA
Alex T
If XVI is releasing next year, then I would've expected it to have stated "2021" in the reveal trailer like other games in the conference. I'm thinking we'll see it in the first few months of 2022. SE now has a record of releasing their AAA games in that part of the year. KH3 was January 2019 and FF7R was supposed to be March 2020.

Last edited:

Theozilla

Kaiju Member
Yeah, I would guess first third/half of 2022 is the likely release window for FFXVI currently. Especially since the 6.0 Expansion for FFXIV is liable to be released in the Fall or winter Holiday season of 2021 (likely would have been earlier if not for Covid-19). Guessing that means FFVIIR Part 2 would be earliest releasing during the 2022 winter holidays, but more likely in 2023?

Presuming Babylon’s Fall eventually gets out of its presumed development issues, I’m guessing it along with Project Athia and Dragon Quest XII and probably another Yoko Taro game will fill out the medium to big-ish Triple AAA sized game releases during that period as well?

Last edited:

Fangu

Great Old One
Wasn't FF7R announced early because of a leak, though?
Im no expert on the subject at all, but I always believed they announced FFRVII prematurely due to them not putting out much of impact over the previous years, they were just dabbling with mobile games to secure their revenue and please the share holders. Announcing VIIR made sure their stocks still had good value.

Obsidian Fire

Ahk Morn!
AKA
The Engineer
Well... food for thought a bit...

The PC release of FFVIIR is going to be coming out in 2021 sometime. I can't see that being considered "small" given the PC install base.

However, the release of NieR: Replicant (Remaster) has a date of April 23 2021. And I can't see that being a small release either given that (a) the west never got Replicant to begin with, (b) there currently is no easy-to-get PC release of the original and (c) NieR: Automana did amazing and people are going to get any game in that franchise. I doubt NieR: Replicant will be releasing near the time of FFVIIR will because of that.

FFXIV 6.0 is probably going to be closer to Fall than Winter, because the update schedule of the patches isn't changing, it just got pushed two months forward.

So like... 2021 already has at least three larger SE games coming out for PC users...

Tashasaurous

Tash for Short
AKA
Sailor Moon, Mini Moon, Hotaru, Cardcaptor Sakura, Meilin, Xion, Kairi, Aqua, Tifa, Aerith, Yuffie, Elena, Misty, May, Dawn, Casey, Fiona, Ellie
If it's Rated M(18) in most parts of the world, I think it'll be rated MA here in Australia for blood and that sort of thing. I remember Final Fantasy X-2 being rated MA for high use of bad language, but I can't remember if Type 0 was rated MA here despite how
Alexander vaporized an entire army in almost one hit!
Might have to check.

Reactions: Wol

The Twilight Mexican

Ex-SeeD-ingly good
AKA
TresDias
If they're willing to let this be M, I wonder why the remake had to cut back on some things to be a T?
Probably because they really, really needed a win with VIIR -- for the sake of their reputation and making the next installments.

If it's Rated M(18) in most parts of the world, I think it'll be rated MA here in Australia for blood and that sort of thing. I remember Final Fantasy X-2 being rated MA for high use of bad language, but I can't remember if Type 0 was rated MA here despite how
Alexander vaporized an entire army in almost one hit!
Might have to check.
Type-0 was MA (15+), X-2 was M (comparable to a PEGI 12).

Ite

Save your valediction (she/her)
AKA
Ite
shiva A1, just like his phoenix

I am imagining the radio edit with FF9 kupo sounds instead of bleeps.

Now get your ‘bunkle n’ quezacotl
For this whoop ass phoenix
They’ll make a phone game for a tie-in
With this whoop ass phoenix
Spent my tuition on the DLC
For whoop ass phoenix
Now pledge your sword if you wanna
See some whoop ass phoenix

Top Bottom