Forgotten City Question

Neo Bahamut

Omnipotent Jackass
AKA
Lithp, Unholy Quadralateral
Why does Aerith go alone? That hit me one day & it bothered the crap out of me. It was practically asking to be killed, provided she knew or at least expected Sephiroth to come after her.

I'm wondering if there was actually a good reason to do that, something that sets up the scene without Aerith catching the Idiot Ball.

I have an idea or 2, but I'll mention those later.

I have a memory like a sieve, but didn't Cloud wake up after the incident in the Temple of the Ancients to find that she was gone? After he'd punched her in the ruins and then handed the Black Materia to Sephiroth? I don't think she blamed him, but it makes sense she wouldn't want him with her and possibly inadvertently betraying the thing she had to do, either.

The only one of them all that I could actually see her taking along to the Forgotten City would be Red XIII. So - maybe she wanted to keep them safe, and realised that having them with her would put them in danger without ensuring her own safety. Maybe she didn't want to split the party, so she left them to continue the hunt for Sephiroth while she did the thing that only she could do. Maybe she wanted to immerse herself in her Cetra heritage, and found being in their company was a distraction.

Neo Bahamut

Omnipotent Jackass
AKA
I'm pretty sure she left Cloud behind for that reason. She didn't tell him because, well, she's Aerith. She doesn't want to be "that guy."

The problem that arises, though, is why she didn't take anyone else. Only Cloud has Jenova cells, so presumably, only he can be manipulated by Sephiroth.

Max Payne

Banned
AKA
Leon S. Kennedy,Terry Bogard, The Dark Knight, Dacon, John Marston, Teal'c
Because Aerith is an airhead.

Seriously, she's a little dim at certain points. She probably really did think she could fix things without getting anyone else involved.

looneymoon

they/them
AKA
Rishi
The impression I got from Aeris is that she's pretty impulsive. She tends to do things without much forethought. Other examples include: asking random SOLDIER guy she just met out on a date, chasing after Tifa in Corneo's cart, sacraficing herself to protect Marlene, comforting Barret...

Last edited:

Alessa Gillespie

a letter to my future self
AKA
Sansa Stark, Sweet Bro, Feferi, tentacleTherapist, Nin, Aki, Catwoman, Shinjiro Aragaki, Terezi, Princess Bubblegum
I'm pretty sure she left Cloud behind for that reason. She didn't tell him because, well, she's Aerith. She doesn't want to be "that guy."

The problem that arises, though, is why she didn't take anyone else. Only Cloud has Jenova cells, so presumably, only he can be manipulated by Sephiroth.
She's not particularly close to the other party members (she calls Vincent weird, I don't think it'd endear him to her), except perhaps Tifa who she regularly has sex withand she probably realizes that Tifa's very concerned about Cloud's well-being, so she probably left her to take care of him.

It may have also been she had assumed that the party would be more concerned about Cloud and his breakdown than they would be about her going to the Forgotten City, so she simply didn't ask.

Last edited:

Neo Bahamut

Omnipotent Jackass
AKA
I got the impression that Aerith was impulsive (a trait she probably acquired from Zack), but I didn't get the impression that she was stupid.

As well, when she dies, you see that the entire party was very fond of her. I don't remember her calling Vincent weird, but even if that did happen, I doubt it was a very major thing.

Maybe she simply didn't think that Sephiroth would come after her. She did say that she'd be right back, and Sephiroth revealed himself to Cloud in the dream only after Aerith disappeared.

Max Payne

Banned
AKA
I don't remember this. What happened, again?

Golden Saucer, right after you visit Corel I believe. Aerith said something to try and cheer Barret up, then pissed him off.

Max Payne

Banned
AKA
I'm sure Tres can clear that up.

The Twilight Mexican

Ex-SeeD-ingly good
AKA
TresDias
Immediately after Barret has explained that the amusement park in front of them is built over the charred remains of his dead friends and family:

(Taken from here again)
Aerith
"Wow! Let's have fun!"

(She turns to Barret, who is facing the wall.)

Aerith
"I know this isn't the right time to do this."

(She walks over to him)

Aerith
"Hey, Barret, cheer up!"

(He takes a step away from her.)

Barret
"I ain't in no cheery mood. So jes' leave me alone."

(She goes over to him and looks at him.)

Aerith
"Really? That's too bad."

(She runs over to Cloud)

Aerith
"Let's go!"

(Tifa goes over to Aerith)

Tifa
"...whisper... whisper... (Wasn't that a little harsh, Aerith!?)"

Aerith
"...whisper... whisper... (Just act normal when this happens)"

Tifa
"...whisper... (You think so...?)"

Aerith
"Of course!"

(Aerith runs over to Barret again)

Aerith
"We're gonna go play..."

(Barret starts waving his arms)

Barret
"So PLAY! ...messin' round #@^%$!"
"Don't forget we're after Sephiroth!"

(He runs and jumps in the Wonder Square portal.)

Aerith
"...I think he's mad."

Top Bottom