buried but breathing
AKA
CK, 2D, wanker
I don't think this will be any good. It can't be condensed into a movie. :(

Obsidian Fire

Ahk Morn!
AKA
The Engineer
Yeah... the manga (I never watched any of the animee) has way to many compilations/subtleties to be condensed into even a long movie.

But that's honestly a problem nearly all long-form manga have and why anime is one of the few ways to make a manga move successfully. The only other way I could see it working was if it was a long-form live-action TV series, but even that has problems as a lot of the good/popular manga would require a special effects budget that's through the roof.

X-SOLDIER

Harbinger O Great Justice
AKA
X
Yeah... the manga (I never watched any of the animee) has way to many compilations/subtleties to be condensed into even a long movie.

But that's honestly a problem nearly all long-form manga have and why anime is one of the few ways to make a manga move successfully. The only other way I could see it working was if it was a long-form live-action TV series, but even that has problems as a lot of the good/popular manga would require a special effects budget that's through the roof.

I kinda feel the same way about the original Ghost in the Shell as soon as the Stand Alone Complex series came out. That being said, I still think it'll be interesting, what with Japan getting a focus on doing that with series like Attack on Titan and whatnot.

X :neo:

Joe

I KEEP MY IDEALS
AKA
Joe, Arcana
I get the feeling the tone of this film will not be in keeping with the anime. Also I am going to be judging this entire film on the casting decision made for Major Armstrong.

Octo

KULT OF KERMITU
AKA
Octo, Octorawk, Clarky Cat, Kissmammal2000
I've never read the manga or watched the anime. But speaking generally, I cannot understand why anyone would want a 'live action' version of an existing anime. I mean anime has it's own particular visual appeal which can't really be replicated in live action.

I probably said it before when there was talk of the Akira live action film. I can only assume these things are to try and garner a wider audience with people unfamiliar with the source material. And as a result, existing fans are going to be disappointed.

X-SOLDIER

AKA
X
I've never read the manga or watched the anime. But speaking generally, I cannot understand why anyone would want a 'live action' version of an existing anime. I mean anime has it's own particular visual appeal which can't really be replicated in live action.

Well, Disney is doing the same thing with their animated films, and I've loved those a TON of those because there's something to be said about just storytelling being in a new, different, awesome medium. Just because anime/manga was the initial format used for telling the story doesn't mean it can't be told in another format in a really cool way.

I fundamentally don't see it any differently from things like The Walking Dead or The Strain, or any of the Marvel movies. Just because there are comics and animated versions of those stories doesn't mean that live action adaptations of them aren't just as awesome.

JechtShotMK9

The Sublimely Magnificent One
AKA
Kamiccolo9

I probably said it before when there was talk of the Akira live action film. I can only assume these things are to try and garner a wider audience with people unfamiliar with the source material. And as a result, existing fans are going to be disappointed.

Live action Kenshin was great.

Octo

KULT OF KERMITU
AKA
Octo, Octorawk, Clarky Cat, Kissmammal2000
^I don't know what that is, so I'll have to take your word for it :monster:

Well, Disney is doing the same thing with their animated films, and I've loved those a TON of those because there's something to be said about just storytelling being in a new, different, awesome medium. Just because anime/manga was the initial format used for telling the story doesn't mean it can't be told in another format in a really cool way.
So far I've only seen Cinderella - which I found pretty meh but had some nice visuals (and bearing in mind the original Cinderella is probably one of my least favorite Disney films)

And the Jungle Book. Which was fucking weird because they still included the songs. Gigantalopithicus Christopher Walken singing. I mean why?!

I digress. My point was more that anime in particular is it's own thing. Eg. If AC had retained an anime style instead of 'realism' I probably wouldn't have found it so fucking shit, because I forgive that stuff of anime, it's all about exaggerated crazy shit happening.

I guess for me, in comparison (and not being that interested in Marvel movies) I don't see such a huge disconnect between the comic versions and the movies.

Anyway I won't derail this thread further :monster:

* Not saying western comics aren't exaggerated of course, but I think anime is it's own particular brand of crazy.

X-SOLDIER

AKA
X
So far I've only seen Cinderella - which I found pretty meh but had some nice visuals (and bearing in mind the original Cinderella is probably one of my least favorite Disney films)

And the Jungle Book. Which was fucking weird because they still included the songs. Gigantalopithicus Christopher Walken singing. I mean why?!

I digress. My point was more that anime in particular is it's own thing. Eg. If AC had retained an anime style instead of 'realism' I probably wouldn't have found it so fucking shit, because I forgive that stuff of anime, it's all about exaggerated crazy shit happening.

I guess for me, in comparison (and not being that interested in Marvel movies) I don't see such a huge disconnect between the comic versions and the movies.

Anyway I won't derail this thread further :monster:

* Not saying western comics aren't exaggerated of course, but I think anime is it's own particular brand of crazy.

It definitely is its own brand of crazy, but I think that there've been really cool adaptations of it. Hell, the Naruto Stage Play looked fucking AMAZING (and I still need to find a way to watch a recording of it one of these days), and that's one of the anime that gets about as anime & crazy as you can get in a medium that's on-par with cinematic adaptations.

Also, I really think that it's because I grew up with and LOVE Ninja Turtles – which has been adapted both fantastically and terribly into just about every format of anything ever known to mankind and its tone varies from wildly ridiculous and campy as fuck to exceptionally dark and twisted and everything in between. When it comes to a Western Property that has the hallmarks of ridiculousness that anime often struggles with, TMNT is right there rocking all of it.

I think that fundamentally, growing up loving it in all its incarnations meant that I always wanted to see stories told in any formats that can serve them. There are awesome things about live action TMNT, animated TMNT, and comic book TMNT, and I love them all for VERY different reasons, but I think that having that outlook meant that I always wanted to see any story be able to take advantage of telling its story in a comic, animated, or real world if it wanted to because there're different things to like about all of those formats for different reasons, and sometimes you find things you like about the series in one format that you'd never appreciated about it in a different one.

tl;dr – different can be awesome and I'm always up for that.

(My contribution to said thread derailment is also over now) :awesomonster:

Lulcielid

Eyes of the Lord
AKA
Lulcy
I don't think this will be any good. It can't be condensed into a movie. :(
It can be if do the necesary Adaptation changes. Copy pasting everything from the source material would be a terrible misstep.

You can condense enough material if they leave out stuff, change stuff, add others and focus only on certain aspects of the source material, basically doing adaptation right.

I get the feeling the tone of this film will not be in keeping with the anime.
Why should it be?

This same argument could be made for "why anyone would want an anime version of an existing manga? manga has it's own particular visual appeal which can't be replicated in animation.", to garner a wider audience with people unfamiliar with the source material. Moreover, live action has it´s own appeal that can´t be replicated in animation.

Live action Kenshin was great.

That movie trillogy is the living proof that you can turn anime/manga stories into live action so long as the adaptation is done right.

The following might be a bit of a derailment to the thread but it needs to be said: We need to stop wanting the adaptaions to be unchanged copy paste of their source material, what worked in one medium might not work in another and thus adapting is necesary to make stuff work.
The Lord of the Rings and Harry Potter movies were critically aclaimed, comertial successes and highly praised because they prioritised adapting the source material right and be excellent products in the new medium.

CK

buried but breathing
AKA
CK, 2D, wanker
I get the feeling the tone of this film will not be in keeping with the anime. Also I am going to be judging this entire film on the casting decision made for Major Armstrong.

Which anime the first one or the one that actually follows the manga? : monster:

@person above I just really don't have that much faith they can do that. It would need more than one film like they did with Kenshin (which I still need to watch btw) there is just way too much going especially when everything starts to fall into place. I get what you're saying though.

Top Bottom