Gamerprint Release FFVII Location Posters

Lex

Administrator
gold-saucer-final-fantasy-vii-travel-posters_grande.jpg

midgar-final-fantasy-vii-travel-posters_grande.jpg

cosmo-canyon-final-fantasy-vii-travel-poster_grande.jpg

nibelheim-final-fantasy-vii-travel-poster_grande.jpg

rocket-town-final-fantasy-vii-travel-poster_grande.jpg

Not sure how I feel about the style, but it's clear a lot of effort went in here and they do look nifty.

Source.

Obsidian Fire

Ahk Morn!
AKA
The Engineer
Reminds me of retro travel posters... maybe in the defunct Shin-Ra travel services department someone got creative. I want the Cosmo Canyon and Rocket Town posters.

jazzflower92

Pro Adventurer
AKA
The Girl With A Strong Opinion
You know what it looks like something that could be found in the 20's or 30's.Now all I can picture is some jazz music to go with it.

I saw those and felt ambivalent about them. The designs are attractive and I like the retro style but I don't feel it fits the game's aesthetic. The font for Cosmo Canyon looks too Hollywood. And why no Junon or Costa del Sol? The Midgar one is my favourite.

The Twilight Mexican

Ex-SeeD-ingly good
AKA
TresDias
They're kind of cute, I guess. You can tell some time and thought went into them. Just have to echo the sentiments that the art style doesn't match VII's aesthetic.

Also, how do you do travel posters and leave out the beach resort town?

Ite

Save your valediction (she/her)
AKA
Ite
Isn't Cosmo Canyon supposed to be this secret hidden cluster of elitist hippies? Why would Shinra market that?

Also, Midgar's is my fave, but it's way more than just the home of Shinra Electric Company. It contains 90% of the world's population, is the industrial and cultural hub of the Planet, and is 50 meters above ground.

Pixel

The Pixie King
I can see what they're trying to do, but there's something kinda South Park-y about them :/

Cat Rage Room

Great Old One
AKA
Mog
I love them. Art based off other works is all about interpreting that style into your own. Seeing how the type of one work can be expressed in another genre, medium, or style is always refreshing. I think the mindset of "it doesn't fit the style of the original game" is missing the point and undermining what art is.

looneymoon

they/them
AKA
Rishi
I only really like the Rocket Town one. It speaks to something really Cold War-esque. Also it's the only one I can see having similar propaganda in-game.

I love them. Art based off other works is all about interpreting that style into your own. Seeing how the type of one work can be expressed in another genre, medium, or style is always refreshing. I think the mindset of "it doesn't fit the style of the original game" is missing the point and undermining what art is.

I disagree. Art based off other works may be "all about interpreting that style into your own", although I don't believe that's "all" there is to it. But interpreting does not mean misrepresenting. The font used in the Cosmo Canyon poster implies a roaring 20s, Jay Gatsby, Hollywood style ethos. If the same font had been used on the Midgar poster I would have thought it quite appropriate, but used on Cosmo Canyon it suggests the maker of the poster either doesn't understand the nature of the place or he/she doesn't understand the connotations of the font - or else they understood both but didn't care and decided to use the font anyway because they liked it, or something.

The Twilight Mexican

Ex-SeeD-ingly good
AKA
TresDias
I think Licorice is suggesting that misusing an aesthetic connotation would be on the same level as calling the tearful family reunion at the end of the movie "Antwone Fisher" a love scene. Yeah, it's a scene. And one with love. But not a love scene.

Art may not have to conform, but it does have to be aware of what it communicates to its receiver via programmed cues and connotations born of idiomatic usage. The same way a film director couldn't be upset with the audience if they "somehow misinterpreted" a scene with a harpsichord-laden, wavy screen segue to be a dream or fantasy.

ForceStealer

Double Growth
Said less eloquently: I'd get the Cosmo Canyon if there were more on it. If it looked like a town rather than the background to a Mario or Sonic stage.

Octo

KULT OF KERMITU
AKA
Octo, Octorawk, Clarky Cat, Kissmammal2000
Yeah, this is the font I would have used for Cosmo Canyon: http://s3.amazonaws.com/data.tumblr...208978&Signature=xN0p71rHA8PIF10vropsTel4qDY=

I guess all these posters are going for a Art Deco/30's aesthetic. The font above is Art Nouveau but I think they'd get away with it, it still has hippie connotations even if it predates the overall style by a couple of decades.

What would have been cool is some sort of thing where Bugenhagen has a flowing beard in which the image of Cosmo is contained. Or something like this: http://img227.imageshack.us/img227/2691/weswilsongh5.jpg

But I get they were going for that particular aesthetic and wanted it to be part of a set so :monster:

Obsidian Fire

Ahk Morn!
AKA
The Engineer
I'm not into what the historical significance of a font is... I mix and match fonts all the time in my stuff based on whether it looks good or not. I actually thought that font went well with how Cosmo Canyon is protruded in the game, a hippie town built into a steep series of cliffs.

I'm just happy somebody tried something new with fan art instead something like more pictures of the characters. It's nice to see the locations get some attention for once.

Top Bottom