General A11y Technology & Such

X-SOLDIER

Harbinger O Great Justice
AKA
X
So, for a quick introduction into accessibility (a11y) when it comes to gaming, there's an old Uncharted 4 video, and a new ad for Microsoft's adaptive controller that're excellent points of entry to really get an understanding of what it's all about.

Microsoft Advert's Video Description said:
For the 2018 holiday season, we invite you to meet nine (and a half)-year-old Owen, rising to the top of his game with the support of all of his friends-including his real-life best friend Gunnar-and a little help from the Xbox Adaptive Controller. Owen has Escobar Syndrome, which limits his mobility, but does nothing to reduce his passion for gaming.

We watch as his friends gather to cheer him on as word spreads of his impending achievement. The moment of joy experienced by the children celebrating together when Owen wins the game reminds us of the spirit of the holiday season and illustrates Microsoft’s overall mission to create accessible technology that levels the playing field and creates opportunity for all of us.

Because, when everybody plays, we all win. Learn more at: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/empowering/

Link to audio description version of the video.
Someone has a tutorial video for how to hook this Xbox controller up if you have a PS4, since PlayStation doesn't have its own equivalent.

Additionally, there's a charity organization called AbleGamers who were directly credited in Spider-Man this year:

And at the VGAs last night, Steven Spohn from AbleGamers was recognized as a Global Gaming Citizen.

All-in-all, it's something that I think is REALLY awesome that it's starting to get more overall attention by the wider population, because it matters a lot in so many different places. For those of you who don't know, I do a11y QA for software as a job – although I'm in the Education Software industry rather than the Gaming Software industry. There are a TON of really neat things that I learn about as a result of the focus of my job, and they range from everything from things in the software world, to other things that're hardware-based, and after last night, I really wanted a thread where I could share more of those things, regardless of the specific focus that bit of tech was designed for.

So, if you happen on any cool stuff, or if I find out about some other neat thing, I'll probably post about them here.

X:neo:

X-SOLDIER

Harbinger O Great Justice
AKA
X

This is massive for the deaf community, and apparently the new version that's upcoming is really exceptional in its accuracy. That along with translations are gonna make the future a REALLY crazy cool place.

X :neo:

Top Bottom