General Anime Thread

Cthulhu

Administrator
AKA
Yop
Given this is the anime thread, at least 300 episodes followed by a prequel and a sequel series, as well as half a dozen movie animes and one or two whitewashed hollywood adaptations, :awesome:

Lulcielid

Eyes of the Lord
AKA
Lulcy
Before we reach the end of 2017, I'd like to do a rounddown of the animes I've watched this year (or at least that stand out to me)

Shingeki no Kyoujin (season 2) - 9/10
Roller cooster of excitment and hype, biggest pro being having a more focused narrative, unfortunately I stil don't heavily care about the characters.

Boruto: Naruto Next Generation - 8/10
Pretty good sequel to Naruto, colorful aesthetics and character design makes for an enjoyable watching experience, most of show right now has been building of a (strong) foundation for I hope would great pay offs, at times the narrative can meander a bit but the (mostly) strong characters can carry the show.

Naruto Shippuden - 9/10
The last 20 episodes had pleasing visuals and a higher average of good animation than the show normally had before, the last arc makes for a sweet conclusion and send off for the story, definetely cried when the last episode was over.

Boku no Hero Academia (season 2) - 7/10
Some fastastic bits of animation during the more action heavy or hectic episodes, an entertaining tournament arc, everything after was OK, at first the show was exciting but the latter episodes don't click a lot for me.

Shoujo Shuumatsu Ryouko - 10/10
Cute girls doing cute things in a post apocalyptic world, the show is pretty light heart slice of life with surprisingly amount of substance behind, each episode dealing with some philosophical idea around the girls, their situation and the meaning behind certain world pre-conceptions. Definetely the biggest surprise of this year along with another one...

Houseki no Kuni - 9/10
Singlehandly the pretties CGI anime I've ever seeing, it's just plain gorgeous, that alone is enough to give an 8/10 but with the presence of some quirky characters its enough to up it an extra point.

Little Witch Academia (TV) - 10/10
The animation may not be on the same level as its predecesor OVAs, that said there are some highlights in each episode, but it makes up for that by having just A LOT OF CHARM & HEART where it counts, and also making me smille in each episode (even the one I didn't particulary like) and feel a lot of emotions when an episode is over.

Kemono Friends - 8/10
Plain and silly childish charm, that's all I need to say.

Ao no Exorcist: Kyoto Fujouou-hen - 7/10
An enjoyable sequel

Kobayashi-san Chi no Maid Dragon - 9/10
A charming slice of life featuring a dragon maid with a charming story about what's a family on top of having cute girls, fun comedy and pleasing & colorful aesthetic.

Shingeki no Bahamut: Virgin Soul - 7/10
Strong first half dragged down by a weak second half but a bunch of endearing characters manages to carry (most of the time) the show at its weakest.

Fate Aprocrypha - 5/10
Trainwreck of mess with ugly character designs, backgournd design and overall aesthetic, only reason I still care is to see each Servant/Master will be taken down + Jeanne is best girl of the show.

Made in Abyss - 9/10
Fantastic adventure fantasy with some gorgeous Ghibli like backgrounds, charming characters with a strong narrative about the seeking of knowledge.

Kujira no Kora wa Sajou ni Utau - 8/10
Incredible aesthetic and visuals and a intriguing fantasy world, with incredible use of pastel colors. Unfortunately I can't say the same for the characters, they not awaful nor a hell lot interesting, they are just...there.

Mahoutsukai no Yome (TV) - 8/10
Interesting take on Europen fantasy & myths complement with pleasing visuals (I think this has become a pattern most animes this year) with the only major negative being the pacing, it kinda drags on a bit.

Dragon Ball Super - 8/10
Ever since the Future Trunks Arc has been surprising me with how fun and memorable the show can be, what I've liking the most over the past 50 or so episodes have been the gags (most of them either spot on or laughtably ridiculous) and secondary characters getting development in the episodes they are heavily featured.
Overall animation and aesthetic has also improved but I can't comment further than that.

I think there was more....my memory is at times bad...

Last edited:

ForceStealer

Double Growth
I watched MMO Junkie. As with Chobits, I kept feeling like I should hate it, but I couldn't stop watching it. But it's only 10 episodes and is very cute. I love that the main character is 30 instead of 16. Makes her a lot more relatable even if she's socially inept.

Lulcielid

Eyes of the Lord
AKA
Lulcy
Made in Abyss is great, many fans recommend it for its fantastic world building, beautiful aesthetics and Ghibli like feel. The only downside to it is that it's an adaptation of an on-going webmanga and thus its main plot thread is unfinished, that said the anime does give a satisfying enough "closure" (around its last third the story introduces plot thread B which the last episodes focuse on an ends the show with a "now let the adventure continue" kind of feel) until the sequel comes sometime in the future.

The other downside to it is the its blocked under two paywalls (Amazon + Anime Strike), so if you don't want to spend money to watch just only one show then the high sea is your friend.

Also update to the thread title plz :monster:

Last edited:

Lulcielid

Eyes of the Lord
AKA
Lulcy
Done watching Devilman Crybaby. First some warnings, this show is not for the faint of heart! It's pretty graphic with the gore and especially when it comes to the eroticism. Definetely not family friendly :awesome:

My first impression of the show as someone who never read or watch anything Devilman related prior to this:

As a whole I found the story to be Ok with some interesting ideas about hope for humanity but was quite lackluster in emotional investment department to care a lot, until the last 3 epidoes.....OOOH BOY those last 3 episodes, they were so good that made me retroactively like the previous 7 that I found okish. The finale was something unlike and made me feel and think about lots of things, definetely that will stick in my mind for a long time.

I initially rated the show and the episodes 2.5/5 but thanks to the last 3 episodes I up my rating to a solid 4/5 for both. They were that good.

Something that you may found bothersome could be its pacing, with 10 episodes at times it feels like the plot speed ups 200% but personally it didn't bother me a lot.

Not sure if I would read the manga though, I am satisfied with what I got from this adaptation and thinking about its the kind of stuff I wouldn't want to experience for a second time, it was a quite draining experience -in a good way- (specially the last 3 episodes, damn they were very draining).

Lulcielid

Eyes of the Lord
AKA
Lulcy
Currently watching this season:

Violet Evergarden
The lastest anime from Kyoto Animation and heavily anticipated by the anime community finally arrived to NETFLIX for a worldwide weekly simulcast (except for NA & Australia :awesome:). I though it was OK but as usual KyoAni delivered on the visual and technical department, making watching the show a fest for the eyes, while not totally sold on the narrative I will still keep an eye on it thanks to its incredible presentation.

3.5/5

Laid-Back Camp
In a nutshell this show is about cute girls going camping and...that's all, nothing wrong with that, the show is quite chill and modest about its intentions and I was looking for something calm to watch on a weekly basis so I'll keep watching it.

3.5/5

Last edited:
^It's adorable how much of a weeb Evgenia Medvedeva is. I really hope she'll be back for the next Olympics but with the Russian system being what it is I don't know how likely that will be. :(

Devilman Crybaby is the only show that I've finished recently. I still prefer the manga (I think the Birth and Demon Bird OVAs adapted certain things better, while Crybaby did other things better, but that's sort of to be expected given the different formats), but I thought it was really good. Nothing ramps up like Devilman does - I can't imagine going in blind and marathoning it. Also, that Devilman no Uta remix is insane, I was listening to it on repeat for like days after finishing the show. It's great that Devilman has an actual fandom now, too.

If anyone's interested in older stuff, The Adventures of Ganba and Gutsy Frog are both being fansubbed. Both are really nice looking '70s shows.

X-SOLDIER

Harbinger O Great Justice
AKA
X
I watched Devilman Crybaby after seeing it recommended a lot, and I don't really get what the big deal about it is. I thought that it was incredibly lackluster tbqh.

X :neo:

Top Bottom