• There are currently leaks out on the internet for FFVII Rebirth; we have received legal notice about these being posted on the forums. Do not post any images, videos, or other media, or links to them from FFVII Rebirth or the artbook. Any leaked media or links to them will be deleted.Repeat offenders will be suspended.
    Please help us out by reporting any leaks, and do not post spoilers outside of the spoiler section.

General Anime Thread

Obsidian Fire

Ahk Morn!
AKA
The Engineer
for some reason I've carved a niche in my preferences for 'school children with deep-rooted psychological issues that would probably be equally served simply going to see a counsellor'... anime. :monster:
In you're defense, the majority of decent shounen/sienen manga/anime fit into this category, so I don't think too many people are going to hold this against you.

Splintered

unsavory tart
I greatly enjoyed Bakemonogatari too (I made a gifset for that series as well). Despite it's deep desire to fetishize everything about the female characters, it's just plain interesting. And for a show that 90% exposition, that's a feat. I give it to a mindtrippy almost flip book direction- that when it's not blatant fanservice is pretty thoughtful. And then there are the smidgins way over the top excessive violence that's so ridiculous you can't take it seriously, but it's such a contrast that it stays in your head. The stories have this wit to them, the series in of itself isn't what I'd call smart- but all of the stories have this clever play to them that draws the viewer to them and the characters.

Sometimes I wonder if Shaft's insistence on wrapping its existence to the otaku crowd is a good or bad thing, but it works for this show. I think. Sometimes it panders too heavily to its demographic which you think would be okay, but if you watch it you know what I mean.

But I never watched any of the other series. Specifically because of the incest that was said to come out of it. The first show was enough to satisfy me, and the incest is enough for me to think "yeah I don't really have a burning desire to see what else happens."

Celes Chere

Banned
AKA
Noctis
Despite it's deep desire to fetishize everything about the female characters

See, I couldn't get over this. It was just too strong. I enjoyed everything about Bakemonogatari BESIDES this. I really liked the main character (w/e his name was) and the art style, the atmosphere - it was all great. But when I really thought about it I knew this Anime wasn't for me because that shit really does annoy me to a large degree especially if it is excessive. This is one of the reasons why KLK is just okay to me. As much as I love some of the characters and point out how endearing much of the story is. Although, at least in KLK they have explanations for these things and the women kick so much ass that it doesn't really even matter.

I watched Nekomonogatari as well and I didn't like it... at all.

Unrelated, I love Katanagatari WHAT AN AMAZING SHOW AND UNIQUE ART STYLE PLEASE DO WATCH it's really silly and intriguing but then it rips your heart out later. You know that's the good kind of show. :')

Hisako

消えないひさ&#
AKA
Satsu, BRIAN BLESSED, MIGHTY AND WISE Junpei Iori: Ace Detective, Maccaffrickstonson von Lichtenstafford Frabenschnaben, Polite Krogan, Robert Baratheon
Nekomonogatari was relatively tame and toned down compared to what it followed up :monster: Nisemonogatari broke so many taboos I found even my tolerance threshold being passed. It's a crying shame because the writing is almost always witty and full of clever wordplay, but the whole thing is marred by stupid shit.

Since the only significant thing that really carries over to Second Season is the main villain from Nisemonogatari (and his role is drastically different this time around anyway) people who only watched Bakemonogatari could ostensibly just skip all the nonsense bullshit and go straight to Second Season without much fuss. The fanservice is present but compared to almost every other season it's the most minimal of the lot, and in terms of (already excellent) plot/writing is by far the most superior instalment since the original 2009 show.

The only thing that continues to be an annoying niggle is the dumb pedo/loli shit, but they don't spend too long waving that nonsense around like they did for previous seasons, so that's a thing.

Also about a month back I marathon'd Samurai Champloo! Might write some thoughts on it a little later maybe (spoiler alert it involves an undying love for Shinichiro Watanabe :monster:)

Hisako

消えないひさ&#
AKA
Satsu, BRIAN BLESSED, MIGHTY AND WISE Junpei Iori: Ace Detective, Maccaffrickstonson von Lichtenstafford Frabenschnaben, Polite Krogan, Robert Baratheon
Also, obligatory

dat nyanners
n*gga kawaii

Alex Strife

Ex-SOLDIER
ALL OF MY YES.

Monogatari series is absolutely awesome. I like the art style, like the sharpness of everything. I love, love, love the dialogue (I know some people can't wrap their heads around it but I love it) and I'm going to stop now before I fangasm a bit too much. What has been said in this thread is quite enough about it.

Katanagatari is also quite amazing. Chanbara mixed with Nisio Ishin style. Good mix!!

In fact, I'm generally in love with anything Shaft do, these days...

Drax

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Benoist; Captain Highwind
There is a new Soul Eater series, and they look like they do in the manga. It also looks kinda shojo-y. I wonder if they will ever get back to the main series.

Drax

Pro Adventurer
AKA
I dropped the series when it started doing that, but I think they are back on track? Not sure, I only poked my head in a few random chapters.

It was one of my favorite manga/anime at the time (it was pretty on par with Bleach and Naruto), but then it was all about Maka's feeeeeeeeeeelings, and Crona's story never getting resolved.

All this, even though there were a billion interesting loose threads lying all over the place.

Hisako

消えないひさ&#
AKA
So this is pretty cool

oricon_2036172_0-enlarge.jpg

Hisako

消えないひさ&#
AKA
Manga is fine, though I suppose it's better if it relates to the anime :monster:

Hisako

消えないひさ&#
AKA
Speaking of, I always found it disappointing how useless absolutely everyone non-Saiyan was past the Frieza saga, :monster: Piccolo had his awesome moments but after the whole time travel and Super Saiyan schtick nothing was ever quite the same >:

Oh! and DBZ Kai's Buu Saga started airing this month, eh? Anyone got anything on that? =P

T@ctic

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Orah, Iju
Speaking of, I always found it disappointing how useless absolutely everyone non-Saiyan was past the Frieza saga, :monster: Piccolo had his awesome moments but after the whole time travel and Super Saiyan schtick nothing was ever quite the same >:

that's why i consider the frieza saga my all time favorite saga in anime. i still think it's the best work of akira. i have literally watched the kai version like 3 times in a row.

Oh! and DBZ Kai's Buu Saga started airing this month, eh? Anyone got anything on that? =P

didnt know that since i dont have TV :O wasnt it getting cancelled or something like that?

Drax

Pro Adventurer
AKA

How dare they leave the Great Saiyaman out of this opening

EDIT: Also, I usually don't do sports anime, but I think I will try Diamond no Ace. Looks like EXTREME BASEBALL

Bonus OP:

Last edited:

Hisako

消えないひさ&#
AKA
Apparently most of the Great Saiyaman stuff was filler

Which goes to show how awesome DBZ filler can be sometimes

To be honest, I look on the Buu saga really fondly because Vegeta gets some hella rad character development (everything about Majin Vegeta was fucking brilliant imo) and Gohan partly redeems his shittiness by going Mystic

Last edited:

Super Mario

IT'S A ME!
AKA
Jesse McCree. I feel like a New Man
Monk, did they bring back Yes' Roundabout with Stardust Crusaders? I am only at ep 2.

Top Bottom