General Square Enix Thread

Theozilla

Kaiju Member
Noticed there wasn’t a general non-specific Square Enix thread to post in, be it for new items or interest topics. So I figured I would make one.

Anyways, here is my starting topic (even if it is kinda a downer of a one), sucks that the SE president (and Kitase apparently too) appear to be suckered in (and/or just don’t care) by the NFT schillers/scammers, hopefully it will blow up in their face like Ubisoft and they’ll backtrack/pull-out of the idea relatively soon.

Makoeyes987

Listen closely, there is meaning in my words.
AKA
Smooth Criminal
How fucking sad and embarrassing that this has to be the first bit of news to generate a general S-E thread here. :monster:

"Know your audience" is one of the core principles of any long term business but Yosuke Matsuda clearly failed to learn that lesson. He obviously doesn't have any awareness of who S-E's core audience are. This will 100% go as well as Ubisoft's foray into this bullshit, except it will have the added benefit of chaffing the goodwill that exists with their fans.

He wants to create gaming incentives beyond "such inconsistent personal feelings as goodwill and volunteer spirit," which is such a hilariously demented take that one has to wonder how such a sentence was written unironically.

"We do observe examples here and there of overheated trading in NFT-based digital goods with somewhat speculative overtones, regardless of the observed value of the content provided This, obviously, is not an ideal situation." No shit, Sherlock. But clearly you don't care. That's literally what NFTs exist to do. They're speculative, scarcity driven useless resources meant to launder money and be used for pump-and-dumps.

This dude might be worst than Yoichi Wada. Here's to hoping that this was an incredibly ignorant attempt to please investors with zero knowledge of just how deeply they're disliked and the negative publicity makes him see reason. Any game that uses NFT bullshit won't be getting money from me. I will never get a crypto wallet, or involve myself with anything connected to it.

Lulcielid

Eyes of the Lord
AKA
Lulcy
This dude might be worst than Yoichi Wada.
Let's not hyperbole just because the guy embraces NFTs. Wada era was a period of producing nothing but Final Fantasy (and Kingdom Hearts) because nothing else was as profitable, Matsuda has at least diversified SE output with more non-FF releases during his period thus far than Wada ever did.

Makoeyes987

Listen closely, there is meaning in my words.
AKA
Smooth Criminal
Let's not hyperbole just because the guy embraces NFTs. Wada era was a period of producing nothing but Final Fantasy (and Kingdom Hearts) because nothing else was as profitable, Matsuda has at least diversified SE output with more non-FF releases during his period thus far than Wada ever did.

Really don't care. I find attempting to force a completely vapid, predatory, environmentally harmful, and techbro backed speculation/moneylaundering tool x1000 worst. :monster:

ForceStealer

Double Growth
I also joked that "Is Yoichi Wada back?" when I saw the headlines.

271258490_153181140398187_5306715351338288164_n.jpg

Last edited:

Lulcielid

Eyes of the Lord
AKA
Lulcy
If we want to complaint about SExNFT couldn't we be more original instead of regurgitating the same "SE = Shinra" memes.

Roundhouse

Pro Adventurer
Can someone explain why SE has yet to port Chrono Cross, Xenogears, FF: Tactics, Vagrant Story, Chrono Trigger (!!!) and etc to any modern console? The particularly weird one is Trigger, which is regarded as being one of the best RPGs ever. Why in the world would you not want to port that to a system like the Switch?

I'm sure there is some kind of business justification here, but I'm baffled.

Ite

Save your valediction (she/her)
AKA
Ite
Is it because Chrono Trigger isn’t actually as good as everyone remembers and keeping it locked in the nostalgia vault prevents the truth from coming out?

1643530099643.gif

(but actually please port or remaster Chrono Trigger it is excellent)

Wol

None Shall Remember Those Who Do Not Fight
AKA
Rosarian Shield
Is it because Chrono Trigger isn’t actually as good as everyone remembers and keeping it locked in the nostalgia vault prevents the truth from coming out?

View attachment 11959

(but actually please port or remaster Chrono Trigger it is excellent)
They'll remaster CC first because it's the superior game.

ph14basicbitch

shinra merch buyer
AKA
koda
Yeah. However, Square-Enix had already released NFTs before the tax incentive policy was announced.

2020: Takashi Kiryu joins s-e
2021: S-E releases Million Arthur NFTs
Jan 2022: Kiryu gives an interview about using the blockchain to develop new IPs (https://toyokeizai.net/articles/-/576361)
Between Jan and Nov 2022: S-E announces the other FF7 merch with digital ownership / web 3.0 shit
Nov 2022: Web 3.0 tax break policy was announced (https://www.kantei.go.jp/jp/101_kishida/statement/2022/1003shoshinhyomei.html)

Last edited:
Top Bottom