• There are currently leaks out on the internet for FFVII Rebirth; we have received legal notice about these being posted on the forums. Do not post any images, videos, or other media, or links to them from FFVII Rebirth or the artbook. Any leaked media or links to them will be deleted.Repeat offenders will be suspended.
    Please help us out by reporting any leaks, and do not post spoilers outside of the spoiler section.

General TV thread

Carlie

CltrAltDelicious
AKA
Chloe Frazer
I watched recently Marco Polo. For the life of me I cannot understand how it has a 30% rating on Rotten Tomatoes. The first 4 episodes are really slow but there's nothing bad in them. Then the story really picks up, it has some really strong performances, particularly Benedict Wong as Kublai Khan. This post explains the series well.

Outlander came back on Saturday for the second half of its first season. Does anyone else watch Outlander here so I can make a thread? People need to watch this series.

Ami

Playing All The Stuff!
AKA
Amizon, Commander Shepard, Ellie, Rinoa Heartilly, Xena, Clara Oswald, Gamora, Lana Kane, Tifa Lockhart, Jodie Holmes, Chloe Price.
I have many conversations in work about TV shows and films.

We've obviously come to the conclusion that we watch too much. :monster:

Masamune

Fiat Lux
AKA
Masa
Am watching Better Call Saul atm. It's a bit more low-key and far more PG than Breaking Bad was/is - less violence, less swearing, less drug abuse and less srs business so far. But, I like it, and I wonder where the story will go and shit. It probably won't be as critically acclaimed as Breaking Bad in the end though. But that's fine - it's still solid, and not everything should be the best evar.

Have you watched it all? I've found myself underwhelmed by Better Call Saul. Notwithstanding the fact that I've just come off the back of a Breaking Bad binge, the writing just doesn't seem up to scratch when you consider the talent that's behind it. I can't help but feel like the show's still finding its groove as it meanders from one episode to the next. The pacing isn't tight and most of the side characters are utterly forgettable, with the notable exception of Mike.

Granted, I don't know why they felt the need to give Mike another dark backstory on top of the one he already had in BB with the wife-beater and 'no half measures'. I prefer Mike when he's being a badass taking care of business, not an emotional drunk blubbering about his
dead son
. The same way I want to see Saul Goodman and not Jimmy McGill. That's pretty much my problem with BCS in a nutshell: this wasn't an origin story that needed to be told. When I watched BB, I didn't wonder what Saul's 'deal' was, I assumed he was motivated by greed like every other slimeball lawyer out there.

Ami

Playing All The Stuff!
AKA
Amizon, Commander Shepard, Ellie, Rinoa Heartilly, Xena, Clara Oswald, Gamora, Lana Kane, Tifa Lockhart, Jodie Holmes, Chloe Price.
Last night's EastEnders was singlehandedly one of the best soap episodes I've ever seen. It handled the matter of cancer in such a brilliant way and showing the contrast of Jim dying (his actor actually died last year) was an added bonus. Can't wait to see the aftermath.

Cthulhu

Administrator
AKA
Yop
Re better call saul, I get the idea that it was done on a tight budget and with a high risk of the show getting cancelled mid-season - the Mike episodes seemed to be like filler, although IMHO they're the best ones. But it's definitely not the blockbuster series that BB was - at least not yet. Maybe it'll pick up if the series continues with a stronger overarching storyline; as of yet it seems like a "the adventures of" kinda show with a new storyline every once in a while. Which is fine imo.

Novus

Pro Adventurer
I'm mid way through better call Saul, but it seems consistent with the quality of BB.

Currently watching Star Trek TNG.

Ami

Playing All The Stuff!
AKA
After seeing one of the stars on Alan Carr: Chatty Man and a preview, I'm downloading the entire first season of Empire. Will deliver thoughts if I ever watch it with my backlog. :awesome:

Edit: I've sodded downloading it. However, I'd like to share a great site for you to watch TV shows. There are links to watch movies and anime as well. My mum recommended this to me a while back and now I'm going to take full advantage of it to save my laptop some hard drive space.

Last edited:

Lex

Administrator
Well,
they killed Patrick Dempsey's character on Grey's Anatomy. I'm in absolute shock. I mean I'm happy because I never liked him and thought he was a boring idiot, but 99% of the fanbase thought he was the best character in there. It was an emotional episode, and he's one of the original cast members (11 years, every episode). This is a biiiiiiiiiiiiig deal. Wow.

Considering he is essentially the male lead (the titular character/female lead's former love interest and now husband of 6 or so years) it really is exciting that they did this. It didn't even come with the usual Grey's drama, he got hit by a car and ended up in a hospital with poorly trained doctors who didn't get him a head CT and then he ended up brain dead because of it. Then she had to come and pull the plug and it was emotional. I honestly would never have believed he'd actually died, but then the end of the episode had a preview for the finale and it's his funeral XD.

Carlie

CltrAltDelicious
AKA
Chloe Frazer
Thanks for that very informative post spambot.

Silicon Valley - A show about programmers in Silicon Valley. It's very well written, clever and funny. It's on its second season, ironically I've been watching it since it started because it airs after GoT. Now I don't watch GoT anymore but still watch Silicon Valley.

Ami

Playing All The Stuff!
AKA
Silicon Valley - A show about programmers in Silicon Valley. It's very well written, clever and funny. It's on its second season, ironically I've been watching it since it started because it airs after GoT. Now I don't watch GoT anymore but still watch Silicon Valley.
*adds to Watch List*

90% of the Murican shows I watch are currently off air now until September/October. I'm currently indulging in Buffy season four and Angel season one, alternating between the shows because I never got to do that the first time (damn you, BBC). It's coming up to the beginning of this century, so it's quite fun remembering what it was like back then.

Ⓐaron

Factiō Rēpūblicāna dēlenda est.
AKA
The Man, V
Watched that Kitchen Nightmares episode with Amy's Baking Company a few hours ago.

Still speechless. Holy shit that woman is literally insane. I have never seen an hour of television like that before.

Clement Rage

Pro Adventurer
Gotham. Had a shaky start ,they overdosed on the foreshadowing a tad, but improved a lot by the finale. Cobblepot was really well acted.

Ami

Playing All The Stuff!
AKA
Gotham. Had a shaky start ,they overdosed on the foreshadowing a tad, but improved a lot by the finale. Cobblepot was really well acted.
Same. Cobblepot has become the main reason for me to watch this and even though he's royally fucked up, I'm rooting for him.

Carlie

CltrAltDelicious
AKA
Chloe Frazer
That show is absolute shit with wasted good performances by some actors. Barbara is one of the worst characters ever made. If you're a Batman fan avoid Gotham like the plague.

Clement Rage

Pro Adventurer
Yeah, what they did with Barbara was really bizarre.

Funny thing is, I'm almost rooting for everyone.

By the finale

we've spent time with all the major players, we've seen them all being tough as nails and clever as (expletive), and having vulnerable moments that they wriggled out of or turned to their advantage. Everyone, from Sal to Carmine (granted I was biased in his favour from the moment I recognised Deputy Rawls) to Penguin to Fish, to Butch. I like all those characters. Selina and Bruce I could take or leave, and Nygma's plot had its moments but could have been less predictable.

Gotham is full to the brim with tough, smart, dangerous mobsters...exactly as it should be.

Carlie

CltrAltDelicious
AKA
Chloe Frazer
Have I mentioned how much I despise their appalling embarrassment of a portrayal of a groundbreaking character like Renee Montoya? Cause really Gotham you can take that bullshit and shove it up your ass.

giphy.gif

Flare

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Flare
I don't watch a whole lot of tv. The only series I'm watching on tv currently is Falling Skies. I watch GoT when a new season airs too... aaaaaand that's about it. I'm more of an anime/movie watcher or a gamer. :monster:

Ami

Playing All The Stuff!
AKA
I'm currently watching Angel, Buffy and Charmed.

Recently finished Angel season 1, Buffy season 4 (that was such a chore in itself) and Charmed season 1. Have started Charmed season 2 and it's nice to watch it from a new, older perspective like the episode set in 2009. I've noticed there are one or two episodes I've never seen before, which is nice. Makes me wonder how many more there are.

Ⓐaron

Factiō Rēpūblicāna dēlenda est.
AKA
The Man, V
Anyone else watching Extant? That season première was pretty intense.

Novus

Pro Adventurer
Hannibal Season 3 is getting really good now.

Also Wayward Pines is too.

Those are the only current (still airing) shows I'm watching.

Ami

Playing All The Stuff!
AKA
It's a shame about Hannibal because I've heard it's a good show and everything's up in the air with it being cancelled. Whether it doesn't continue to air or not, you can definitely bet I'll be watching it (my manager won't shut up about it!).

Novus

Pro Adventurer
Well Season 3 seems to conclude a lot of the story/ remaining book material.
I think the showrunner may have cancelled it himself because of his commitments to American Gods, and that it may return some other time.

Claymore

3x3 Eyes
Decide to binge watch the cancelled sci-fi show, The Tomorrow People, a remake of a remake of the British series of the same name.

Initially, I had watched a couple of episodes while it was airing, but I ultimately gave up on it because of the incredibly poor writing that was just all over the place, and the annoying shipping that was being thrown around at every possible moment. I can't believe I tortured myself by watching the remaining episodes but ... it all got a whole lot worse! It's like they were literally throwing different ideas at the screen, hoping that one just might stick. It was actually very depressing to watch, in that sense.

I could write an essay on everything that I felt was wrong with the show, but nothing riles me up as much as the treatment and use of their powers. Yes, in a sparring match we can jump around the screen as much as we like - heck, I can teleport to 5 places at once - but the moment someone pulls a gun on me, suddenly I can't do jack! >__>

The 90s version remains my fav.

Top Bottom