• There are currently leaks out on the internet for FFVII Rebirth; we have received legal notice about these being posted on the forums. Do not post any images, videos, or other media, or links to them from FFVII Rebirth or the artbook. Any leaked media or links to them will be deleted.Repeat offenders will be suspended.
    Please help us out by reporting any leaks, and do not post spoilers outside of the spoiler section.

General writing fiction discussion thrad.

Clement Rage

Pro Adventurer
The thing about that is that live mice move, so it's not just a question of weight, and you can only stack them so high before they start to suffocate/squash each other. I found a lab container for sale that said it was equipped for 12-20, but I don't know if that's supposed to include living space as opposed to 'get them to destination alive' or how portable it was.

Average weight of a mouse per random internet search is between 10-20 grams. Let's go with 15.

More internet research tells me the average person can carry about 60 pounds, which comes to about 27kg.
27000/15=1800 which sounds like an unfeasibly large amount of mice to carry (and if said mouse carrying box is dropped they will probably be injured or escape, so it's probably best to undercut the limit.) My character is not a professional mouse weightlifter, so I'm going to cut this back a bit

I'm going to cut this in half for safety reasons, and if my maths is correct weightwise 900 mice seems feasible, but I don't know if they will be in good shape at that concentration. A few casualties are okay, but ultimately these hypothetical mice are supposed to mostly get to their destination alive. (it's a short trip, incidentally, two hours tops, so I'm not worrying about food or recreational activities for these mice.)

(All numbers are rounded because I am lazy)

This turned out to be educational. This is more feasible than I thought weightwise, but I'm still not sure if these mice can survive at that concentration.

Glaurung

Forgot the cutesy in my other pants. Sorry.
AKA
Mama Dragon
I'm going to cut this in half for safety reasons, and if my maths is correct weightwise 900 mice seems feasible, but I don't know if they will be in good shape at that concentration. A few casualties are okay, but ultimately these hypothetical mice are supposed to mostly get to their destination alive. (it's a short trip, incidentally, two hours tops, so I'm not worrying about food or recreational activities for these mice.)

(All numbers are rounded because I am lazy)

This turned out to be educational. This is more feasible than I thought weightwise, but I'm still not sure if these mice can survive at that concentration.

That number is not feasible because a great majority might suffocate. Have in mind that, the more uncomfortable they feel, the more stressed might become and, in extreme cases, even violent. So you can end up with a scenario where they start killing each other as they fight to remain on top of the pile and not suffocate. If they are intended to be kept alive, choose a number under 50. The volume for the animals' survival will be meassured horizontally, not cubically. Whatever space you want to add vertically will be to give them some sense of freedom. Remember they are live animals and they have to move around to not fall into a panic induced, fight-or-flight state of madness.

However, no matter how strong a person is, the box's volume will have the limits of the person's arms reach, and the fact that you can't carry a package over a certain size without tripping because you can't see.

Glaurung

Forgot the cutesy in my other pants. Sorry.
AKA
Mama Dragon
Silly question: Does anyone know of a free software that allows you to create the layout of a book?

Do you think we could use it to make a Yearbook?
I've always made my entire Yearbook in Photoshop, mostly because I don't have the time available to get my students to master more than one Adobe program!

Odysseus

Ninja Potato
AKA
Ody
Do you think we could use it to make a Yearbook?
I've always made my entire Yearbook in Photoshop, mostly because I don't have the time available to get my students to master more than one Adobe program!
You probably could. One of the convenient features is that you can create and save page templates, which would make creating those pages full of the kids' pictures a lot smoother probably. You're probably still gonna end up using photoshop for image editing though. I also have no idea if Blurb ships to Switzerland.

What happens with my Commtech classes is I always have 2 or 3 kids who could get a job as professional photoshoppers, and the rest don't even know what a layer is, or the difference between a .jpeg and a .tiff.

It amuses me because we're always told the kids today are the digital generation, but in fact, most of them only know how to click a button. They have no idea how any of it works. I have some idea, which makes me the expert! Now that they're all being taught online, they are just blown away thinking of how the information that's passing between us in a microsecond spent that microsecond being transformed into different kinds of energy and travelling hundreds of miles under the ocean floor through optical fibre cables. It's so interesting to me that for them the internet just exists, like the sky or the sun, and most of them have never wondered how.

Odysseus

Ninja Potato
AKA
Ody
What happens with my Commtech classes is I always have 2 or 3 kids who could get a job as professional photoshoppers, and the rest don't even know what a layer is, or the difference between a .jpeg and a .tiff.

It amuses me because we're always told the kids today are the digital generation, but in fact, most of them only know how to click a button. They have no idea how any of it works. I have some idea, which makes me the expert! Now that they're all being taught online, they are just blown away thinking of how the information that's passing between us in a microsecond spent that microsecond being transformed into different kinds of energy and travelling hundreds of miles under the ocean floor through optical fibre cables. It's so interesting to me that for them the internet just exists, like the sky or the sun, and most of them have never wondered how.
Everything is so user friendly these days, you never really have to learn how any of it works. Kinda sad really.

GokaiWhite

GokaiWhite
AKA
Hexafres
Please read this fan fiction "Mist of the Wings", by my friend Karla Garry. She's an autistic friend of mine and Sarah Serenity, and we all wish to get our work noticed by Square Enix so they may let us work with them more closely on future Kingdom Hearts and Final Fantasy projects.

I hope you like it!
_mmd__the_mist_of_the_wings_poster__title__by_misakiiiiiiii_dc6bxhs-fullview.jpg

LNK

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Nate
Didn't know where else to ask this... Has anyone read "In tune with the infinite" by Ralph Waldo Trine? If so, which copy would you recommend? I found what looks like a 1st edition. But it costs almost 1 grand

Torrie

astray ay-ay-ay
Does anybody know by any chance how long it takes to get invited to AO3 from the automated invite queue? I'm thinking of joining.

Clement Rage

Pro Adventurer
Is there such thing as a tag for an 'anti-fix fic' on A03. Like you know the classic time travel fic that fixes everything, except the time traveller causes things to go horribly wrong?

Claymore

3x3 Eyes
Definitely want to make changes this year, so I contacted my co-writer and we're firing back up the old novel that we had begun working on. Only 100 pages written so far, but I've got a lot of refined concepts that I've thought about during our down-time, so the plan is to reversion and re-purpose a lot of what we have done, and what originally worked, before we push on.

One of the issues that we're stuck on at the moment is that recent events have made me re-evaluate the cultural perspective from which I was initially telling the story from. I grew up in a time where strong female characters were really beginning to make a significant mark within media (Buffy, Xena, Charmed, etc...) which originally seemed like a no-brainer for me, but now, it just doesn't reflect me or my perspective. So I've made sweeping changes to the core cast of characters which resulted in a more solid cast and interconnections.

However, the fallout from this is that there is no longer a significant Caucasian character within the main cast but I feel that is equally not being fair or representative of the location and it's rich diversity (it's set in London FYI).

Should I force a character into this just to keep things balanced or tell the story from the cultural perspectives that I actually want to tell it from?

YMMV on this but I hate stories that focus so much on representation that they forget to live and breathe. I am perfectly capable of enjoying a story that doesn't have someone who looks like me in it. So I'd say tell the story from the perspectives you want to tell it from. Tell the story you want to tell. There will be plenty of other people writing plenty of other stories featuring white Londoners. Don't worry about them!

Clement Rage

Pro Adventurer
What's the story about, roughly? It should be fine, unless your specific narrative theme is inclusivity, in which case the absence of a particular type of person may stick out.

Clement Rage

Pro Adventurer
Should be fine, then. That's one genre where all that matters is 'are you alive, will you actively try to kill us all as son as we turn our backs'

Littlewing

Pro Adventurer
AKA
human
So I was playing WWE 2K19 and I don’t know why but the creative custom aspects make me want to create my own fictional wrestling game type story for some reason, because I was able to make some colourful characters and it made me think all these crazy things things,

So I decided to combine RPG and WWe2k19 together and make the wrestling matches with custom characters the battle part and then the cutscenes will just be .org maker to tell the story and combine the two. It is not a serious attempt, just a random thing I felt like doing.

You can’t really actually play it though, maybe I’ll add a battle system later but it’ll jut be funny, a wrestling RPG with a turn based battle system? “Suplex! Body slam! “Drop kick” 160 damage. Basically, I think it will be set in a future dystopian world, where there was one great cataclysmic war that lead to the brink of planetary annihilation and due to as a result of on-going strife afterwards they decided to destroy and dismantle all weapons, and guns, and I still a type of fight club type scenario, wherein all conflicts that are not easily solved are solved by regulated matches and fighting arenas which is kindness of crazy but it’s not supposed to be that serious. Most of the worlds borders and territories are destroyed and a large concentrated one world regime is created establishing to authority unquestionably.

The main character originated form one of the previously remaining nationalist leaning territories, and is jailed and captured by the regime and out into a kind of concentration camp, but it has food and things but eventually he’s allowed to escape and becomes involved in an underground fighting circuit, which is the only anyway he came pay off his “war crimes” and disobedience.

But though the underground and small time circuits you can gain entrance and a chance to the big time “Leagues” which are like again, just regulated fighting but it’s kin dog like hunger games and more professional and in a bigger scale.

The world is also very Orwellian, and the way they enforce their rules and laws are by administering a dosage of drugs and steroids from a young age to certain members of the population and thus like steroids and growth hormones and thus physically they cannot really be too defiant or escape very easily from the enforcers,

Last edited:
Top Bottom