• There are currently leaks out on the internet for FFVII Rebirth; we have received legal notice about these being posted on the forums. Do not post any images, videos, or other media, or links to them from FFVII Rebirth or the artbook. Any leaked media or links to them will be deleted.Repeat offenders will be suspended.
    Please help us out by reporting any leaks, and do not post spoilers outside of the spoiler section.

Genesis' Legal Problems And His Future Reappearances

jazzflower92

Pro Adventurer
AKA
The Girl With A Strong Opinion
So apparently Genesis is not going to make anymore appearances, due to the legal work involving Gackt, since he's based on him. This could mean that Genesis will not long be considered a canon character or they just have to kill him off permanently. This also means there will be not follow up to that Dirge Of Cerberus hook.

Makoeyes987

Listen closely, there is meaning in my words.
AKA
Smooth Criminal
That's not going to happen, because Crisis Core is still a game intrinsically linked to the FFVII story that's been referenced and acknowledged. It hasn't been sent down a memory hole ala "1984." That's not how canon works. Unless they decide to make a new Crisis Core or something, Crisis Core still stands connected to FFVII.

We just probably won't see Genesis in any other game at all, or at the very least, Genesis would have to be given a new face and voice.

A brand new face and voice. But it's not like it'll matter for us since the US/EU territories never bothered to use Gackt for his dubbing anyways. The only thing it means is that yes, DoC's teaser hook has fallen hilariously flat. It's just random fanservice nonsense.

jazzflower92

Pro Adventurer
AKA
The Girl With A Strong Opinion
If they ever do a final game for this series, Weiss could still be brought back but Genesis would be left out completely.

Makoeyes987

AKA
Smooth Criminal
As far as I know there's never been official confirmation that Square has lost the right to Gackt's likeness- and songs. It is a reasonable assumption, yes, but I recall us going down this topic before and nobody could find any solid proof.

I don't think you'd really ever get confirmation on such a thing, especially from a Japanese gaming company like Square. They're notoriously tight lipped unless they want to be. Like, to rub in or punctuate the departure of a certain developer that they jettisoned for whatever reason. :mon:

But considering this same situation happened with YGO, regarding using Yami Yugi/Atem's seiyuu, KENN, this seems extremely likely. NAS and Konami let the contract to use KENN's voice lapse which resulted in their inability to give Yami Yugi his original Japanese voice in various video games and reruns of the anime. It wasn't until they renegotiated with him and drew up a new contract that he was allowed to be aired on tv again, and his voice was able to be used for video games. For awhile he had a shitty new voice in video games that no one liked.

Tashasaurous

Tash for Short
AKA
Sailor Moon, Mini Moon, Hotaru, Cardcaptor Sakura, Meilin, Xion, Kairi, Aqua, Tifa, Aerith, Yuffie, Elena, Misty, May, Dawn, Casey, Fiona, Ellie
I think it's more of Gacket's design of clothes than anything else. I mean, if they used the likeness of his face for Squall and continue to do so without issues, then it's not the face that's the problem; it's the red coat he wore in the concert and that he was part of the design of Gen's clothes that's more likely the issue.

Makoeyes987

AKA
Smooth Criminal
Voice acting is clearly a major issue. If the character's voice belongs to another legal entity that doesn't give consent to use said voice, then the whole thing becomes derailed. Gackt's vocals are highly protected, and if S-E never paid to use them beyond DC then it's pretty much DOA.

The Twilight Mexican

Ex-SeeD-ingly good
AKA
TresDias
I think it's more of Gacket's design of clothes than anything else. I mean, if they used the likeness of his face for Squall and continue to do so without issues, then it's not the face that's the problem; it's the red coat he wore in the concert and that he was part of the design of Gen's clothes that's more likely the issue.

I doubt if the costume is an issue. Gackt had input on its design (e.g. requesting it be red), sure, but not ownership in any legal sense. He's never assigned copyright nor credited for Genesis's design in legal acknowledgements -- for example, see the copyright info on the Genesis card from the official Final Fantasy Trading Card Game or the official site listing for that and other cards from the trading card game (copyright info and design credits at the bottom of the page).

Perhaps of more relevance, Genesis was present in FFPictologica, which was still in service until the end of November (i.e. less than 50 days ago), and the character remains present in FFRecord Keeper. There's definitely no concern about utilizing the character design.

As for Squall from FFVIII, Nomura said on at least this one occasion that he based Squall on actor River Phoenix.

Tashasaurous

Tash for Short
AKA
Sailor Moon, Mini Moon, Hotaru, Cardcaptor Sakura, Meilin, Xion, Kairi, Aqua, Tifa, Aerith, Yuffie, Elena, Misty, May, Dawn, Casey, Fiona, Ellie
You have a point. If those are the cases, then I got no clue on why else Genesis isn't making any other appearances unless he appears in Opera Omnia or Dissidia NT as a surprise character in the future, which I doubt it'll happen as I'm still hopelessly waiting for Reno and the other Turks to appear in either game and Quinton Flynn reprising his role as Reno.

Roger

He/him
AKA
Minato
You have a point. If those are the cases, then I got no clue on why else Genesis isn't making any other appearances unless he appears in Opera Omnia or Dissidia NT as a surprise character in the future, which I doubt it'll happen as I'm still hopelessly waiting for Reno and the other Turks to appear in either game and Quinton Flynn reprising his role as Reno.

They probably just don't see Genesis spending time on without involving Gackt and without being able to port Crisis Core to new consoles.

Tashasaurous

Tash for Short
AKA
I'm not saying that Genesis appearing again in the future, it was just an assumption which, like I also mentioned, I doubt will ever happen. Like how I know that there will never be an English port or remake of Before Crisis, especially since that game shut down late last year.

Top Bottom