GENESIS: Tell me all we know!

Blade

That Man
AKA
Darkside-Ky/Mimeblade
Okay, I know he is NOT just a Gackt clone...

But what I want to know is, for the sake of discussion:

What is he as far as FF7 canon is concerned, and what can we expect of him in the future?

Also feel free to give opinion and speculation regarding him.

My current theory is that he's an anti-Sephiroth of sorts...and might be more of a threat than Sephiroth was in the future...assuming they do make a sequel.

(Please note: I am trying to increase my posts to eliminate MY CURSE! :shifty:)

Edley

Pray for Sound
AKA
Issac Dian, Dudley, Chev Chelios
http://ultimania.ff7compilation.net/ff7cc/genesis.php

http://finalfantasy.wikia.com/wiki/Genesis_Rhapsodos

Apparently he sees himself as some sort of protector after Crisis Core, going underground until he deems the planet needs him.

I don't see a need for him honestly and hate how they retconned him in to the Nibelheim incident. They've also framed his future strangely. He doesn't get involved in the Meteor Crisis, Sephiroth's Advent, or the Omega Crisis, but whatever work or threat after DoC is deemed important enough to get his attention.

Dark and Divine

Pro Adventurer
AKA
D&D
Well, during the Meteor Crisis, we had already Weapon and Holy on the move, even if the latter was being blocked by Sephiroht's Will. No need for Genesis, because he would be a bit useless against Meteor.

During the Geostigma Crisis, it is possible that Sephiroth's Will was blocking the cries of the Planet and the cries never reached Genesis, the same way that Aerith couldn't use Great Gospel in an huge scale until Sephiroth was vanquished and the Negative Lifestream faded away.

During the awakening of Omega Weapon, that was a natural process in the cycle of life of the Planet, even if it was tainted. So, it was not exactly a threat, it was more a unavoidable and natural event.

Wolfmania

Saint of Killers
It's strange, yes.

I'd like to know what fucking event warranted Genesis's attention enough for the planet to finally awaken him. Maybe his goal was to be awakened after Omega/Chaos to beat them back to the planet or protect the new planet they arrived in, i have no idea.

It's interesting that he's following the planet's wishes. As in he'd be cured, and the planet would call on him when needed the most.

What could be more threatening than Sephiroth' Advent? Sephiroth literally started the apocalypse via wrist flick when he took physical shape again, he had absorbed the remnants of Geostigma and was powerful enough to subjulgate the planet. I mean, granted, Genesis was a tad weaker than CC/BC Sephiroth, and far weaker than AC/C Cloud, so he'd die a horrible death against the transcended form of FFVII Sephiroth, but the planet isn't supposed to know that. It also isn't supposed to know Cloud would be there at back and call to save It.

I guess I'd go with the theory from the above poster.

Last edited:

Kobato

Pro Adventurer
I want to know how it's possible to make him disappear so he never appears in FFVII canon again.

Ghost X

When he lands after flying out the cave, he is accidentally runover by a truck driven by Barret, also killing Weiss :monster:. Barret keeps driving, thinking they're just a speed bump. Unfortunately for Genesis he does not have Final Attack and Revive materia equipped... nor does Weiss.

ForceStealer

Double Growth
Maybe the Planet knew he'd just screw everything up more but had promised to wake him up, so it just waited till after all the big problems that needed to be solved were taken care of :monster:

Blade

That Man
AKA
Darkside-Ky/Mimeblade
Haters gonna hate, honestly I don't mind Genesis, it says that he wanted to obtain Cloud's remnant Jenova Cells...since he's considered the only successful Sephiroth Clone...however, since the "purification" of Advent Children Complete, I think Cloud has evolved into a different kind of "monster" so to speak...so since he no longer has Geostigma, which I assume had corrupted/degraded Jenova cells in it, Cloud is most likely superior to both Sephiroth and Genesis...and maybe closer to Angeal come to think on it.

It would definitely be something if Cloud got a white wing or two if they ever did FFVII-2. Maybe he'll learn more about Zack from Genesis, or maybe lay the whole project to rest finally once Weiss is finally dealt with.

Blade

That Man
AKA
Darkside-Ky/Mimeblade
But actually!!!!

That whole passage in LOVELESS, about the Prisoner sacrificing his life for the sake of the Wanderer....

Maybe the Wanderer doesn't mean Sephiroth per se....maybe it means Jenova!!...Maybe it even means Cloud!!!!

I wonder...perhaps there will be a final confrontation between Cloud and Genesis after all...and if that's so, I wonder if Genesis's body might synthesize what's inside Cloud's body that makes him special and probably expell Jenova from the planet completely....

Theozilla

Kaiju Member
Haters gonna hate, honestly I don't mind Genesis, it says that he wanted to obtain Cloud's remnant Jenova Cells...since he's considered the only successful Sephiroth Clone...however, since the "purification" of Advent Children Complete, I think Cloud has evolved into a different kind of "monster" so to speak...so since he no longer has Geostigma, which I assume had corrupted/degraded Jenova cells in it, Cloud is most likely superior to both Sephiroth and Genesis...and maybe closer to Angeal come to think on it.

It would definitely be something if Cloud got a white wing or two if they ever did FFVII-2. Maybe he'll learn more about Zack from Genesis, or maybe lay the whole project to rest finally once Weiss is finally dealt with.

Yeah, same here. I actually find Genesis to be interesting. Also as point of clarification Genesis needed Cloud's S-Cells, he did not have a direct transfusion of J-Cells.
Also, I think it is unlikely that Cloud would ever have a wing since the only ones who do, Sephiroth, Angeal, and Genesis (not counting the Angeal and Genesis copies which are very different than the Sephiroth clones, since S-Cells cannot create copies like G-Cells), received J-Cells/G-Cells during their fetal stage. And the other 3rd and 2nd Class SOLDEIRS, which had J-Cells like Zack, never showed the ability to grow wings. It seems that adults are not as mutated by J-Cells and S-Cells as fetuses and G-Cells seemed to be only ones that create true copies.

Wolfmania

Saint of Killers
Cloud getting a wing from a narrative point would be a disaster for me. Those are the signs of Jenova's legacy, her influence, something Cloud has broken off from ever since he stopped being a puppet of Sephiroth's.

That being said, I'd like to know what Genesis thinks about Cloud. With Sephiroth dead, Cloud is the only one left with Pure S-Cells(the treated strain of J-Cells produced by Hojo). He is for all intents and purposes the only successful Pure S-Cell Clone(since the residents of Nibel and other clones were not given pure S-Cells, and Zack's Pure S-Cells were contaminated by the J-Cells in him). Who knows what Genesis would think of that.

Weiss is a small fry. He's just someone with Cells from Genesis himself, like all Tsviets, no surprises for Genesis there.

Tifabelle

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Tifabelle, Nathan Drake, Locke Cole, Kain Highwind, Yamcha, Arya Stark
I don't love Genesis' character. I actually find him a bit boring. But his existence doesn't bother me. I'm looking forward to a sequel that would include him as perhaps the villian or sub-villian (I would prefer sub-villian tho).

Wolfmania

Saint of Killers
I don't love Genesis' character. I actually find him a bit boring. But his existence doesn't bother me. I'm looking forward to a sequel that would include him as perhaps the villian or sub-villian (I would prefer sub-villian tho).

I'd actually find that idea interesting. Problem is they'd have to come up with a new character for the villain then(Weiss simply isn't strong or character enough for full-out main villain or Sub-Villain IMO). I can only imagine what they could conjure up.

What I'd find interesting, is perhaps another alien of Jenova's species. Perhaps even more threatening than her. No need to bring back Sephy, even though the One Winged Angel holds a place in my heart as a villain.

Tifabelle

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Tifabelle, Nathan Drake, Locke Cole, Kain Highwind, Yamcha, Arya Stark
My only problem is that idk if Genesis is strong/smart/evil enough to carry the villian role as is. It could be pulled off though.

I do not want to see sephiroth in a sequel. Enough of him.

Lex

Administrator
Surely they have to release some sort of conclusion to the compilation in this respect? I mean, they've left it so open-ended in so many ways...

ForceStealer

Double Growth
But Genesis' degeneration was fixed, so presumably he no longer has any interest in Jenova cells. Assuming that Cloud's weren't destroyed in Advent Children anyway. Also the wing thing only seems to affect people who received Jenova cells as an infant.

I don't really hate Genesis either. They handled him in some pretty stupid ways, but in and of himself I'm not bothered by him. And he does actually allow for some interesting options in the theoretical Compilation conclusion.

Celes Chere

Banned
AKA
Noctis
In my opinion, Genesis doesn't even HAVE a personality. First of all, he's not even an original model, he's modeled after Gackt. You can see it in his face! It's actually kinda creepy... Secondly, his dialogue consists of: THE GODDESS THE GODDESS OMG I LOVE APPLES THE GODDESS???! IM MELLLLTTTIIING

Danseru-kun

Pro Adventurer
I think it would have been less annoying if the stanzas of LOVELESS can be just read by the player during the game while being given the idea that Genesis obsesses over it. That would make him more mysterious and would make LOVELESS appeal better than a repetitive poem.

I actually liked Genesis a bit, but he needs a lot of improvement. If I were to "improve" his character, I would want him to be more pathetic and more jealous to Sephiroth. I would also kill him off in the end of Crisis Core and omit him from DoC and the Nibelheim scene.

Elisa Maza

Whomst
Genesis is what the Compilation is: lost potential because of awful writing.

It would definitely be something if Cloud got a white wing or two if they ever did FFVII-2.

Cloud as baptiser-Jesus-whatever in AC was bad enough.

A wing will make him a caricature.

Blade

That Man
AKA
Darkside-Ky/Mimeblade
Here are my thoughts:

1. A 2nd Calamity from the Sky, perhaps further elaborating on Jenova's origins might be ideal...maybe to simply explain where she came from, or perhaps that she was manufactured as a weapon on a distant planet or something. (Not to go the Star Ocean route here...but it's not impossible in FF terms).

2. If anything Genesis is done with the prosaic stanzas of LOVELESS and writing his own ending and chapters since it was never finished anyway. I'm betting he'd be something of an ersatz ally to Cloud, maybe he'll be the key to solving the next threat, since the planet still hasn't healed itself completely from Geostigma yet even after Dirge of Cerberus, that and using Lifestream to defend itself along with the premature launch of Omega probably leaves Genesis as the last line of defense.

3. Genesis wasn't always quoting Loveless like you guys seem to think, he was also questioning his own origins too, just like Sephiroth...and I think finding out more about how he is and how he feels might close the book on Sephiroth once and for all.
Besides, he's like Zack now, a SOLDIER with a promise to keep. He might even be familiar with Aerith.

4. Cloud getting a wing might be a temporary thing you know...kinda like how it was in Kingdom Hearts, so don't write it off as terrible.

ForceStealer

Double Growth
In my opinion, Genesis doesn't even HAVE a personality. First of all, he's not even an original model, he's modeled after Gackt. You can see it in his face!

There's obviously no question he's modeled after Gackt, but I was actually pretty glad to see that in CC he didn't look like an EXACT FREAKIN DUPLICATE. You can still tell, I know, but I was happy that they toned it down a bit. And even more amazing, they toned down all the superfluous stuff on his outfit in the DC ending. That must have killed Nomura, but he looked better for it.

Also his sword looks awesome I don't even care

Top Bottom