Good Music Blogs/Review sites

Alex

alex is dead
AKA
Alex, Ashes, Pennywise, Bill Weasley, Jack's Smirking Revenge, Sterling Archer
Its how I keep up with most of my musical tastes, thought I'd do the honourable thing and spread the love. These are the best places I've found for offering up excellent, unusual, and comprehensive information in regards to a substantial variety of music (aswell as details on how to get ahold of the CDs or band merch) Some of these offer free downloads, some don't, so I hope that isn't going to be an issue, but since I'm not posting actual download links in this thread I shouldn't have thought it would be.

AVERSIONLINE
- Aversionline is probably at the very forefront of keeping up with the rarest, most hard to find, least well known bands from everything from Black Metal to some out of control Indie sounding releases. Every review comes with a sample download of a couple of songs from the CD, and instructions of how to get ahold of the CD through the cheapest means. Alot of the stuff reviewed on here is very cool and very rare, well worth seeking out, more than one 'Bands Seeking a Label' have been advertised on here. And it updates very regularly.

It's well worth going through the archives of this website because there is something for everybody with an interest in metal and hardcore, and it'll probably be a band you've never even heard of whose CD you'll be able to purchase for $2 on Amazon. Suhweet.

Zen and the Art of Face Punching
- ZatAoFP is another solid blog and anybody with an interest in hardcore or traditional emo should check it out. It doesn't update regularly but it plays host to a large amount of really awesome releases. The reviews aren't as succint and often the reviewer will tend to amble on for a page and a half before coming to any sort of conclusion. However there isn't a reviewer more knowledgable about the hardcore scene that's more qualified to write about this stuff, so I guess it works out in the end.

One downside is the lack of variety, if you can't get into hardcore music then this side will offer very little to you. But it is worth checking out his BEST OF 2007/8 lists because a good many of those releases have nothing to do with hardcore at all, with the reviewer recommending things as varied as Maps to Bongripper.

Alot of my favourite bands originated from reading them on this site, so anybody with a passing interest in the hardcore genre should be sure to follow up on them.

So yeah, thought these might be useful. There's more, but I cba to think of them right now. Add your own if you use any, these places are always mountains of useful.

Cthulhu

Administrator
AKA
Yop
I've run across Metal-archives.com a few times, but their 'encyclopaedia metallum' is highly limited to only brush over a band's name, releases and genre. Last.fm and in particular Wikipedia is often a better source of general info about a band.

edit: this made me lol, xD. That's severely lacking in metal and win, imho.

CK

buried but breathing
AKA
CK, 2D, wanker
I've run across Metal-archives.com a few times, but their 'encyclopaedia metallum' is highly limited to only brush over a band's name, releases and genre. Last.fm and in particular Wikipedia is often a better source of general info about a band.

edit: this made me lol, xD. That's severely lacking in metal and win, imho.

It's like dragonball evolution all over again. :(

Cthulhu

Administrator
AKA
Yop
It's like dragonball evolution all over again. :(

Only then with no chance whatsoever on OVER NINE THOUSAAAND!

Unless they add the powar of FIRE to whoever's playing what's-his-bum-face, allowing him to burn churches an' shit.

Although the chances of an epic battle would be epic. VARG, VERSUS, EURONYMOUS. READY? FIGHT! FATALITY!

etc.

crevaxa

Pro Adventurer
AKA
MDL_0

M-A is a great way to discover new metal bands, prolly one of my favorite websites ever. The reviews have to be taken with a grain of salt though, because most are written by 15 year old fanboys or haters.

CK

buried but breathing
AKA
CK, 2D, wanker
Only then with no chance whatsoever on OVER NINE THOUSAAAND!

Unless they add the powar of FIRE to whoever's playing what's-his-bum-face, allowing him to burn churches an' shit.

Although the chances of an epic battle would be epic. VARG, VERSUS, EURONYMOUS. READY? FIGHT! FATALITY!

etc.

that'd be awesome but sadly, not true. :(

Cthulhu

Administrator
AKA
Yop
M-A is a great way to discover new metal bands, prolly one of my favorite websites ever. The reviews have to be taken with a grain of salt though, because most are written by 15 year old fanboys or haters.

lulz. Like that's something new, :monster:.

Cthulhu

Administrator
AKA
Yop
Wiki isn't officially supposed to be reviewing or biased in either way, :monster:. Unless it's a fact that a band sucks, then it's okay by me. Which, really, applies to a lot of bands / music nowadays.

Also, I only occasionally glance over the comments on last.fm, whenever I think my IQ is rising to too high levels. Their recommendations suck as well, imho.

crevaxa

Pro Adventurer
AKA
MDL_0
Also, I only occasionally glance over the comments on last.fm, whenever I think my IQ is rising to too high levels. Their recommendations suck as well, imho.

+1. I have some pretty shitty bands sitting in my recommendations at Last.fm. It fails because its based on what other people who listen to that band also listen to, not if the bands are actually similar at all.

Last edited:

CK

buried but breathing
AKA
CK, 2D, wanker
Wiki isn't officially supposed to be reviewing or biased in either way, :monster:. Unless it's a fact that a band sucks, then it's okay by me. Which, really, applies to a lot of bands / music nowadays.

yeah they do.

@crevaxa, the similar artists are done the same way too.

Cthulhu

Administrator
AKA
Yop
Yeah, but I think the only way such a system would work (where two bands 'sound' alike) was when people judge that themselves - add a set of 'similar bands' manually, instead of relying on listen counts and whichever algorithms Last.fm uses to determine their similar bands feature. I don't think it'd be possible (yet) to have software analyze music and determine whether it's 'alike', although I could be wrong.

Note that their system does in fact work, but only at the beginning when you don't have that much music yet or you're shallow in your musical tastes.

Alex

alex is dead
AKA
Alex, Ashes, Pennywise, Bill Weasley, Jack's Smirking Revenge, Sterling Archer
MOAR

I'm the Most Important Person in the Whole Fucking World
Awesome site, extremely well written reviews. Fun to read, lots of diversity, you'll find shit tons of stuff you've never heard of etc etc. Notable in it's own right because the two reviewers play in the band Angel Eyes, whose album '...and For a Roof a Sky Full of Stars' is one that I actually bum. Well worth checking dis shit owt.

EDIT for Tony: The guys that run this blog are mates with Bongripper irl.

Last edited:
Top Bottom