• There are currently leaks out on the internet for FFVII Rebirth; we have received legal notice about these being posted on the forums. Do not post any images, videos, or other media, or links to them from FFVII Rebirth or the artbook. Any leaked media or links to them will be deleted.Repeat offenders will be suspended.
    Please help us out by reporting any leaks, and do not post spoilers outside of the spoiler section.

Guild Wars 2

Zee

wangxian married
AKA
Zee
I did a quick search and found we actually didn't have a thread on this, so I wanted to make one. I've been increasingly excited over this game the past month and wanted to know if anyone else was looking forward to it. What first hooked me was this manifesto trailer:

Someone also took the time to list ten reasons to be interested in the game:

I'm not a huge MMO fan and this definitely got me curious. All but one of the classes have been revealed, and you can check out further details about the game on the official site. You can also head to Arena Net's Blog to get even more in depth information.

ForceStealer

Double Growth
Guild Wars 1 is the only MMO (and it only barely qualifies as that) I have ever gleaned any enjoyment out of. It was the only one I was willing to play for one thing, since it lacks a monthly fee which does not sit well with me at all. And it was fun, but I felt I had my full of it and wasn't very interested in 2.

Then all the trailers started coming out and it looks surprisingly good. I liked the Ranger ability trailers, it looked like a lot of fun, though I'm not sure the intricacies of how it worked.
Still though, I don't have the time to get through normal games I wanna finish, much less throw an MMO into the mix. But it is intriguing.

Zee

wangxian married
AKA
Zee
I'm hoping that, as they were saying in one of the interviews, GW2 isn't totally demanding. You can take a break from it and come back without feeling completely left behind. I'd rather play something like that than have to log in all the time just to keep up, especially when I know there's times I get real busy and vanish from the net entirely.

Anyway more videos. Races trailer:

The Gamescon presentaton:

Also they have a contest for the "ambassador" of GW2. Some of the fan videos are pretty great. :monster:

Lord Noctis

Harbinger of Darkness
AKA
Caius Ballad
Guild Wars 1 is the only MMO (and it only barely qualifies as that) I have ever gleaned any enjoyment out of. .

I thought you enjoyed Vindictus?

Anyway, I haven't really formed an opinion on this game yet. I think its gonna be free to play like the first, which is cool. I've heard its supposed to focus around epic battles and a heroic feeling from the start, rather than making you a glorified exterminator like most MMO's. Don't know if thats true, but if it is I will probably play it, especially if it takes a more action oriented combat system, like what Vindictus had.

Zee

wangxian married
AKA
Zee
Anyway, I haven't really formed an opinion on this game yet. I think its gonna be free to play like the first, which is cool. I

Buy to play is confirmed -- just purchase the game and that's it, no monthly fees. Rumor has it there will be some sort of cash shop but for aesthetic items so players who buy that stuff won't have any practical advantage over others.

I've heard its supposed to focus around epic battles and a heroic feeling from the start, rather than making you a glorified exterminator like most MMO's. Don't know if thats true, but if it is I will probably play it, especially if it takes a more action oriented combat system, like what Vindictus had.

Yep! They said specifically they wanted to do away with the "guy gives me a quest to kill 10 rats" type of deal. Instead dynamic events will happen, where you can run near a town and a villager will run up to you shouting for help because the town is being attacked; you can choose to save it or let it burn.
Or you can just be running by a location where something/someone is being attacked and you'll get an update and the reward without having to backtrack and talk to a specific person. You just see it and do something (or don't).

A really cool aspect was the impromptu parties. A player was trying to save the town from pirates and tons of people started joining in. Everyone who participated got some sort of reward, but having more people join won't result in a curbstomp victory. The event will actually scale with how many people are involved in the fight.

As for the combat system, it's very action oriented. No auto attack as far as I know: you actually have to move around and position yourself if you want victory.

Also another video about Guild Wars 2 PVP:

Joe

I KEEP MY IDEALS
AKA
Joe, Arcana
Massive thread bump.

Is anybody playing this or looking to play this in the near future? I've recently stopped playing WoW because this game is just leaps and bounds more enjoyable. I'd be interested in getting a guild together on there if people here were interested!

Xelazander

sunglasses at night
AKA
alexx
Massive thread bump.

Is anybody playing this or looking to play this in the near future? I've recently stopped playing WoW because this game is just leaps and bounds more enjoyable. I'd be interested in getting a guild together on there if people here were interested!

You suck, come back to WoW

Cthulhu

Administrator
AKA
Yop
Is it any good / does it manage to avoid the generic MMO pitfalls (kill 10 rats quests times infinity, no story whatsoever, tl;dr grindfest and promises of fun and other players only when you reach the top level, etc)?

Joe

I KEEP MY IDEALS
AKA
Joe, Arcana
Actually, it does. Let me try and sum this up because there's a lot to remember but it's worth knowing if you're interested:

- Experience points can be earned in everything you do. This includes fighting monsters, completing story missions, mining (or in somebody elses case any gathering profession), crafting, exploring a new area, reviving a dead player or npc, competing in pvp, partaking in world events, getting achievements etc.
The thing about this is that it's all balanced out nicely whereas other games that offer this usually offer a severely decreased amount of exp for anything other than questing/killing monsters. I played some pvp for an hour last night and hopped up two levels. It would've taken me that long if I was questing.

- Everybody has a personal story. During character creation you're asked a bunch of questions about your character that shape your story campaign. For instance one question I was asked was 'What did you dream about before being born' (this race of tree-things are born adults but live in this dream place before they mature) and I clicked one of a few options which was a chivalrous green knight. Now my story missions are aimed at taking down this vicious green knight that has been killing civies and is invincible for some reason.
There's dialogue from your character and others, choices to make and from what I've seen the personal story seems to go on for a lonnnng time, though you take those missions as and when you feel ready to take them on.

- It's fun. Coming from WoW, I expect to only play alongside other players if I am running a dungeon or if I reach top level. Straight off the bat in this game as I am walking along the path at level 2 I get a notification that an event is happening nearby. I wander along and sure enough a village is under siege by undead and about 13 players are working together to defend it. I entered the fray and when the mission was complete I got a bunch of experience and karma points, as well as made a friend out of it.
Events are happening ALL the time in this game and Guild Wars 2 doesn't shy away from teamwork. If I revive a random player I come across then I will get points, exp and thanks from the person for it. If I see some guy having trouble with an enemy and I step in to finish it off, I'll get EXP. Just because somebody attacks something first, doesn't mean it's now worthless to you.

- Rather than being given a set of quests, you're given a list of people marked on your map that require help. Head over to them and instead of a quest, you'll get a bunch of things written down that will HELP this person. For instance in the town where the undead attacked, I could 'help' by killing undead in the area, setting up barricades, sparring the watchmen to train them up and also some other things. If I don't want to go out there and grind undead, I can happily do any combination of the other things. My doing a certain number of these things, I gain this person's favor. They'll sell me things I can't get anywhere else and I'll also gain a bunch of exp.
This is your non-personal questing right here. But don't forget, once again, you get exp for EVERYTHING.

- This last point is just something that adds a bunch of variety to this game. I noticed a certain collectible called a vista (think of like an eagle vision spot on Assassin's Creed) way up on a tall rock. I started moving around the rock to find a way up and I did. Except it wasn't a path, it was small rocks and very thin beams of wood going up that required skill, patience and timing to jump to and from in order to reach the top. It took me four tries.
In this game, it doesn't just give you a path and tell you to walk to the end for the next bit. It lets you explore properly by scaling rocks and forests with precision in order to reach the top.

All in all I have got to say that Guild Wars 2 doesn't sit in the MMO pitfall. It doesn't have a subscription and instead allows you to purchase 'gems' which are a kind of currency used to buy special things from sparkly cosmetic pieces to experience boosters. The thing about this, though, is that you can trade your in-game money for gems too, and at a decent rate! I honestly can't see anything wrong with this game other than my inability to play it on HIGH GRAPHICS because it's fucking beautiful. My laptop is cruddy though.

Cthulhu

Administrator
AKA
Yop
Sounds good, :monster:. I'll keep an eye out on it. I'd better not go and buy it right away though, I'd neglect FFXIII and Fangu will get angry at me.

X-SOLDIER

Harbinger O Great Justice
AKA
X

Sooo... my friend randomly built an autohotkey script to Rick Roll with the Harp Toy in this game. I figured some of you'd probably enjoy this.

X :neo:

Top Bottom