• There are currently leaks out on the internet for FFVII Rebirth; we have received legal notice about these being posted on the forums. Do not post any images, videos, or other media, or links to them from FFVII Rebirth or the artbook. Any leaked media or links to them will be deleted.Repeat offenders will be suspended.
    Please help us out by reporting any leaks, and do not post spoilers outside of the spoiler section.

Halloween is Coming! (Scary Games General)

Zee

wangxian married
AKA
Zee
I thought this might be a fun topic, what with Halloween approaching. Talk about horror/suspense/thriller games here you love, that you're playing, that you want to play, etc etc.

I already posting in the "Currently Playing" thread, but yeah, I'm playing Resident Evil REmake. Doing a Jill run first (I seriously think in all the years, all the playthroughs...I've only done like, one Chris run). I'm considering picking up the ports of 2 and 3 and doing something like a marathon of the series. I effing love this game. I love that there's no checkpoints, no mission objectives, it's just HEY SCARY MANSION GO!

I kinda want to pick up Silent Hill as well, since I never got to play the first two.

Also, I've been looking up this game called Amnesia: The Dark Descent. I'm hearing a lot of buzz about it, and that its generally got a great scary atmosphere, and it's been a while since I've played a PC game anyway.

So, anyone else out there gaming for the season?

Max Payne

Banned
AKA
Leon S. Kennedy,Terry Bogard, The Dark Knight, Dacon, John Marston, Teal'c
I wish I still had a copy of REmake. A gamecube to play it on too.

The only scary game I have atm is Dead Space.

You should get Silent Hill. Especially 2 and 3.

Alessa Gillespie

a letter to my future self
AKA
Sansa Stark, Sweet Bro, Feferi, tentacleTherapist, Nin, Aki, Catwoman, Shinjiro Aragaki, Terezi, Princess Bubblegum
also u need fatal frame, preferably 2, though 3 is also scary

Strangelove

AI Researcher
AKA
hitoshura
I want to play the GC RE games. I have some guy's Gamecube sitting in a box, and I remember playing REmake on it. But I don't where that or most of the stuff needed to use the GC is now.

Instead I have the director's cut of the original version, that's it. And PS2 RE4 and Outbreak File 2 which... I never played beyond part of the first mission :sadpanda:

But I still have every Silent Hill bar 5 and Zero, so I might go through those.

Also Rule of Rose. I don't know if that's strictly horror, maybe more psychological, but still. I never finished it before.

And if I could afford it, I'd totally get Siren 2. 3/New Translation/Blood Curse, I'm kind of ;/ about but might get it if it's cheap or I had the money.

Edit; I forgot about Fatal Frame. I only have 1, though. And can't remember if I completed the game. I'm sure I got near the end, but I don't remember what happens now.

Celes Chere

Banned
AKA
Noctis
God, the Remake for the GC of RE1 always scares the PISS out of me. Lisa Trevor chasing me still gets the heart pumping extra fast. xD And Crimson Heads seriously freak me out. D:

I'm considering picking up the ports of 2 and 3 and doing something like a marathon of the series. I effing love this game. I love that there's no checkpoints, no mission objectives, it's just HEY SCARY MANSION GO!

DO IT GURL you will not regret it.

Makoeyes987

Listen closely, there is meaning in my words.
AKA
Smooth Criminal
God, remembering when Resident Evil actually used to be a scary, and chilling franchise that did well in setting the mood for the environment sure makes me sad.

*sighs* Those were better days.

Alessa Gillespie

AKA
Sansa Stark, Sweet Bro, Feferi, tentacleTherapist, Nin, Aki, Catwoman, Shinjiro Aragaki, Terezi, Princess Bubblegum
it makes me feel good knowing i can blame stupid americans for the terrible silent hill games that came out 83

Makoeyes987

AKA
Smooth Criminal
Well Silent Hill Origins wasn't that bad. It was good for a PSP game. Climax Studios actually gave a damn.

Homecoming was piss. Straight up piss.

crack

Donator
I played the demo for Amnesia: The Dark Descent. Needless to say, before I played it I didn't want to get the game because it looked boring. After I played I didn't want to get the game because I couldn't even finish the demo. You can't attack the monsters and so your only option is to run away and hide. Not to mention if you stay in the dark for too long you start crawling pathetically and hallucinate. It's worth getting if you want to sleep with the lights on.

Makoeyes987

AKA
Smooth Criminal
Whoever had the idea that not being able to fight the scary monsters is not as scary as just running away from them needs to be kicked in the face.

That fucking shit failed in Shattered Memories, and it'll fail everywhere else. The tension and fear of avoiding monsters is in the threat of actually being attacked and forced to fight back. The combat itself is scary because being forced into a corner to use up your limited resources to STAY ALIVE is a lot more thrilling than knowing all you have to do is run, and keep running cause that's all there is to do.

Zee

wangxian married
AKA
Zee
Instead I have the director's cut of the original version, that's it. And PS2 RE4 and Outbreak File 2 which... I never played beyond part of the first mission

SAME HERE. I have Outbreak 2 and I just replayed the first mission. Wait, scratch that, I think I got halfway through the second and just forgot about it. I think because I picked up Code Veronica around the same time.

ALSO I...I am stalling on REmake because I really don't want to run into that freaky chick in the basement. ;o; Nemesis was enough for me gdi.

As for Amnesia, I can't comment personally on how that game handles the non combat because I've never played it but all of the reviews are practically glowing, so they must have done something right. And I disagree that ALL combat-less games will fail. Not every game has to have combat in it to make it good. In the case of this particular game, it's more about psychological fear and is ultimately a game about the story. Plus with Silent Hill they tried to modify a game that originally had combat into suddenly not having any, when this game was already built around the idea you wouldn't be able to fight.

Or take Thief, for example. Sure, you could try to fight, but trying to roll in like a tank would likely end up getting you killed. The game encouraged you to use your head more to find your way out of situations, and was ultimately a lot more fun and rewarding when you'd sneak around.

Plus you can't compare one game's failure with the system to every game ever, that's ridiculous.

Strangelove

AI Researcher
AKA
hitoshura
SAME HERE. I have Outbreak 2 and I just replayed the first mission. Wait, scratch that, I think I got halfway through the second and just forgot about it. I think because I picked up Code Veronica around the same time.
I might try it again, but I remember just wanting to know what the hell I was supposed to be doing. AND THAT FUCKING ELEPHANT WALKS STRAIGHT THROUGH WALLS WHY.

I usually feel bad about leaving games unplayed, but I got Outbreak 2 for like £5 so feeling bad. not so much.

As for Amnesia, I can't comment personally on how that game handles the non combat because I've never played it but all of the reviews are practically glowing, so they must have done something right. And I disagree that ALL combat-less games will fail. Not every game has to have combat in it to make it good. In the case of this particular game, it's more about psychological fear and is ultimately a game about the story. Plus with Silent Hill they tried to modify a game that originally had combat into suddenly not having any, when this game was already built around the idea you wouldn't be able to fight.

Or take Thief, for example. Sure, you could try to fight, but trying to roll in like a tank would likely end up getting you killed. The game encouraged you to use your head more to find your way out of situations, and was ultimately a lot more fun and rewarding when you'd sneak around.
I'm going to use this as an excuse to gush about Siren some more :sadpanda:

You can fight in Siren, and with certain characters (like Shirou Miyata or Reiko Takato once you get their weapons, or Tamon Takeuchi from the start) it does make the game easier. Get the nail hammer and Miyata can just go around clubbing the shit out of everything in his way.

But you're still a lot weaker than the shibito, they'll just get back up once you defeat them, and if they have guns then you'll last two shots before you're dead (one with certain characters). Even characters like Tamon, who have guns, only have a limited amount of ammo. I think there's like, one time you pick up extra ammo. In the entire game. You're given new ammo (if the character has a gun) at the start of scenarios, but it's usually not a lot. Definitely not enough to kill everything in a level, and they will just get back up in a while. You have to pick your battles, and just try to escape the rest.

But some characters, like Tomoko and Harumi, don't get weapons. So it's entirely dependant on either trying to outrun them (which doesn't always work because some will open doors to follow you) or use stealth and distraction to make your way through.

I think being weak and not much of a match for the enemy is one of the aspects that make the game unique. /I just love this game too much :awesome:

I remember doing a lot of running in part of Rule of Rose I played, but that might have been because the combat system in RoR isn't great. But its music is so I forgive it.

Alessa Gillespie

AKA

you know you wanna play it

Strangelove

AI Researcher
AKA
hitoshura
fffffff

I wanted that game so bad and now I don't remember why I never got around to getting it.

Except maybe that I didn't finish the first one :sadpanda:

Joker

We have come to terms
AKA
Godot
I don't normally play much in the way of horror games, but I do have a longstanding tradition of playing Blood Omen: Legacy of Kain on Halloween night, with all the lights out and the sound piped through the stereo. It's not a SCARY game, per se, but the first few hours are very dark and the voicework is really amazing and it's just so...chilling. It gives me the shivers every time.

I might add Alan Wake to the rotation this year, however. Not exactly scary, either, but I know that on HALLOWEEN it's going to scare the shit out of me in the dark. ESPECIALLY ON NIGHTMARE MODE =D

Zee

wangxian married
AKA
Zee
Hito I saw the trailers for Siren and now I'll never be able to sleep :sadpanda:

However I am intrigued and your enthusiasm is encouraging so I will check this out.

I might add Alan Wake to the rotation this year, however. Not exactly scary, either, but I know that on HALLOWEEN it's going to scare the shit out of me in the dark. ESPECIALLY ON NIGHTMARE MODE =D

Oh god I love Alan Wake. It's not super scary aside from a few OH SHIT moments but overall I really enjoyed it. At Comic Con, there was a Barry decked out in Christmas tree lights lugging around the Alan cutout. Was great, man.

Also I started replaying Bioshock, fun times!

Alessa Gillespie

AKA
Well Silent Hill Origins wasn't that bad. It was good for a PSP game. Climax Studios actually gave a damn.

Homecoming was piss. Straight up piss.
i notice u don't even mention shattered memories.

olo

Celes Chere

Banned
AKA
Noctis
SIREN IS GOOD.

Silent Hill Origins wasn't that bad.

Lol.
Let's face it, everything after SH4... is just awful. I liked 5 sometimes, though. I thought the doll part was fuggin' creepy. T-T I also kinda liked the main character, so that bumped it up a bit... for me. xD Shattered Memories I haven't beaten yet, but it's like... actually painful to play, lol. I have to force myself to play this. It's not even creepy... Children are laughing, but when you look THERE ARE NO CHILDREN THERE! OMG!13W!121. I haven't seen anything twisted at all, and running from the same monsters constantly is more annoying. It got my heart pumping the first time, now I'm sitting through the game yawning and getting annoyed that the new Harry can't run fast enough. Hiding NEVER works btw. The monsters aren't stupid, apparently. <XD Origins was ghey. At least it was short... It's pretty sad when that's the best thing about a game. Wait, I lied... some of those monsters... just WTF. I hate how my character needs to breathe after two seconds of running also.

Last edited:

Vendel

Banned
Clive Barker's Undying.

I have owned that game for years. Never managed to play it for more than an hour.

Top Bottom