HALP! Need musical assistance

trash panda

---m(O.O)gle---
AKA
Howl
I am looking into purchasing a new instrument as well as some recording equipment. I’ve already surpassed the Blue Yeti and I have my heart set on the Rode NT1A microphone. I’ve also chosen Acoustica Mixcraft 6 as my mixing program. I already have Garage Band.

^ I haven’t purchased either of these yet so stop me in my tracks if you think there’s something better. :kermit:

Some things:
I’m very new to music (only semi-familiar with keyboards and I already have a keyboard so I am not looking for that). I would like some other instrument recommendations either based on your own personal experience or just…idk the the sound or versatility. This is purely a therapeutic thing I’ve chosen to do but I would like to become learned enough to make nice purdy sounds to share with people. :)

I do have a budget for my instrument purchase, which is $300. I prefer to buy used things, so if you have a recommendation, please make sure that it is less than $1000 so that there is the potential for me to find it used within my price range. :D

Flintlock

Pro Adventurer
I have a Røde NT-USB microphone and I've been very happy with it. That, plus all the reviews I've read, leads me to think it's a good brand. A bit pricey though.

RedFFWolf

Donator
I believe you're getting (or have already gotten) a really good Yamaha keyboard?
I guess test a few of the instruments out on the keyboard. You might find some instruments you really enjoy the sound of, but in fact lack the qualities on the keyboard. For example, I really came to enjoy the pan flute through the Yamaha, but found it doesn't come close to the authentic sound, whereas with VSTs (such as what you can use easily between your keyboard [which will act as your MIDI controller] and Acoustica Mixcraft 6) some may be more than enough as a VST or even from the keyboard (as I found with a harp, for example).

What I've said mostly relates to choosing a new instrument for recording, so if it's an instrument for solo purposes you're looking for primarily, get a small wind instrument so you can bring it with you with ease, wherever you go ^_^ - like an ocarina or harmonica (the latter might be a good choice for recording too)

Last edited:

Flare

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Flare
I've not played many types of instruments myself except for the piano, so my recommendations are pretty limited. I've tried a violin before (albeit it was old and out of tune), and I must say it's quite different from the piano in how to play it. The sounds of string instruments are beautiful, and though it was a learning curve for me, I think they're worth a try! (I say they, because cellos are beautiful too).

I've touched some drums a few times too; never seriously, but you can get some good sounds out of them too if you're into those kind of beats. However a drum set is probably loads more expensive than a string instrument.

Cthulhu

Administrator
AKA
Yop
Extended-Range-Guitars.jpg

edit:
custom_11_string_bass_cocobolo_neck_thru_1_large.jpg

edit: no wait this one has moar

edit: no wait moar moar

vaderSW1

Dark Knight of the Red Wings
Howl have you looked into the Shure SM58? That's the standard for most musicians as far as mics are concerned. That's what I used when I was still performing. Pretty decently priced. $99.00 at most music retailers.

RedFFWolf

Donator
Howl have you looked into the Shure SM58? That's the standard for most musicians as far as mics are concerned. That's what I used when I was still performing. Pretty decently priced. $99.00 at most music retailers.

Forgot I had one of those!
I second this. It's a solid microphone - good for recording as well as live performances.

trash panda

---m(O.O)gle---
AKA
Howl
Thanks for the advice guys. :monster:

Flint, your plus one on Rode is much appreciated. :D

Red, I also love the sound of pan flute. Great idea using my keyboard to find an instrument that I like. My favorite sounds on the yamaha are the bell sounds. :D

Flare, I do feel like the violin is too much of a learning curve. Unfortunately so because I like all things strings. :wacky: I also tried my hand at drums once, but technically speaking my drum set was made of burn-barrels, cut up chunks of tin and miscellaneous tool-shed materials. :wacky:

Yop, I can't play those instruments. What, do you think I have hundreds of tentacles in the place of fingers? :monster:

Vader, yes I did look into Shure mics (not that specific one, but in general). I think the only thing that won me over with the Rode was the design and the very convenient starter kit. :D

Top Bottom