Hear me out here..."Essence of Saga Frontier" Translation?

Cat Rage Room

Great Old One
AKA
Mog
Should we try our hand at this?

http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/genmessage.php?board=198537&topic=53725840

http://pics.livejournal.com/blue_rouge/gallery/00005ca0?page=1

The "Essence of Saga Frontier" is the Ultimania equivalent to Saga Frontier, a greatly flawed, but still enjoyable to a dedicated fanbase RPG for Playstation. Unlike the Ultimanias of FF and the Perfect Works of Xenogears, this guide has remained relatively untranslated by anyone really, which is a damn shame because about 80% of the plot is in the book and not in the game.

This isn't something that I'm proposing should have any priority over our usual to do list, but if anyone was interested, this guy is scanning the book for everyone to see (and thus, nobody here or anywhere has to buy it!) A lot of the book is just gameplay related stuff that people on the GF board are deconstructing anyway, but another part of the book contains great details on everything on the plot and setting. Like I said, not anything I'm saying we should stop in our tracks for, but it is interesting, and hey, it is a Square game.

Just throwing it out there! Saga Frontier II also has such a plot guide named Saga Frontier II Perfect Works, if anyone cares to know as well, which remains completely a mystery.

Strangelove

AI Researcher
AKA
hitoshura
I have the PSN version of SF, though haven't had much chance to play through it (I only played a bit, the character who starts out in a prison). I've been meaning to play through it soon, maybe on the PSP if not having R/L2 buttons doesn't cause any troubles.

Though that basically means I don't know yet :monster: Maybe Tres or someone else has played it and can help out more.

Ryushikaze

Deus Admiral Parsimonious, PHD, DDS, MD, JD, OBE
AKA
Tim, Ryu
I played it and I have the book. Digital copy and translation = very yes, though.

Cat Rage Room

Great Old One
AKA
Mog
I definitely think we should do this! It would be pretty awesome to have as a little side project, especially to those like me who are fans of the game. However, it's totally up to you guys!

Ryushikaze

AKA
Tim, Ryu
Flipping through, Fuse's story, King of Region, Secret Technique plus 50, Region, Appendix: Material, and design have materials worth translating or hosting. Especially the preproduction stuff, with all the early designs

Cat Rage Room

Great Old One
AKA
Mog
Someone is already translating Fuse's Story in its entirely on the Saga Frontier GameFaqs board, so we don't need to do that (if you don't want to). I personally recommend the Region information to start out with, though.

The Twilight Mexican

Ex-SeeD-ingly good
AKA
TresDias
I support the project, but never played the whole game. And the last time I even bothered at all was over 10 years ago, so I remember next to nothing.

Ryushikaze

AKA
Tim, Ryu
Are they done scanning? I am devoid scanner so my copy is worthless to everyone else.

Edit: They're in the middle of chapter 3, which is fairly dull- just statistics and such- til the King of Regions. However, Chapter 2 is Everyone's scenario, which is the real meat and potatoes.

I have most of the scenario section already, if Tres or Hitobito want to help.

Last edited:

Strangelove

AI Researcher
AKA
hitoshura
PSN/my PS3's wireless connection is really sketchy sometimes, but I'm redownloading it right now. I haven't really been playing through anything else seriously at the moment, so I'll start on it again. (Probably tomorrow since it's late now and I just got another server error at 9% downloaded.)

Edit; I've got it downloaded now, so I'll install it and start playing it tomorrow.

Last edited:

Cat Rage Room

Great Old One
AKA
Mog
Should we get started?

Hito: Saga Frontier is one of those games where playing it isn't really prerequisite to this sort of thing.

Strangelove

AI Researcher
AKA
hitoshura
That... sounds kind of bizarre.

I started it (with Emilia, since she was the first character selected on the start up screen), but getting out of the first area took me an embarrassingly long time.

Cat Rage Room

Great Old One
AKA
Mog
Yeah, it really is one of those games. The whole game, in SaGa style, is one of those things where the background information can be completely divorced from entire parts of the game, but is still fascinating to read. Waiting until you're completely finished to start reading it is almost counter productive, since without that supplemental material, you pretty much have no fucking idea or context to anything 50% of the time.

I mean it's better than arguing about the Mona Lisa, that's for sure.

Strangelove

AI Researcher
AKA
hitoshura
In that case I might start on it while I'm still playing the game, then.

I would like to finish the game before it's all over to pick up on any references in the book to specific parts of the game and such, though. But maybe others can help point those out as well.

Last edited:

Cat Rage Room

Great Old One
AKA
Mog
I can definitely be your guide. If the translations start now, I can definitely help you link things together if you make an addendum to where you presently are in the game.

Strangelove

AI Researcher
AKA
hitoshura
I downloaded it all, but I seem to be missing some pages:

- p 11~14
- p 42? There a page without a number which might be this one, though
- p 60
- p 63
- p 80

Are these scans missing, or did I just accidentally skip past them? I'm too tired to check again right now (about to go to sleep).

Ryushikaze

AKA
Tim, Ryu
11-14 were there when I checked.

42 is numbered.

80 is definitely missing.

We still have half the book left to be scanned.

Last edited:

Strangelove

AI Researcher
AKA
hitoshura
I must have messed something up then. I wish the files had been properly numbered in some way when you download them.

Top Bottom