• There are currently leaks out on the internet for FFVII Rebirth; we have received legal notice about these being posted on the forums. Do not post any images, videos, or other media, or links to them from FFVII Rebirth or the artbook. Any leaked media or links to them will be deleted.Repeat offenders will be suspended.
    Please help us out by reporting any leaks, and do not post spoilers outside of the spoiler section.

Hellblade: Senua's Sacrifice [PS4, Xbox One, PC]

lithiumkatana17

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Lith
A little surprised no one has made a thread for this game yet.

Hellblade: Senua's Sacrifice was developed by Ninja Theory by a small team of only 20 people. It's a mid-sized game, with about 8-10 hours of gameplay, so it's only being sold at half the price of regular game.

Set during the age of Vikings, the game focuses on a Celtic warrior named Senua, and follows her journey through hell to retrieve her dead lover's soul after their village is raided and everyone is killed. And the catch? She suffers from psychosis. The multitude of voices she hears will serve to guide you through the game as much as they deter you from your goal. And also freak you the hell out. The trailers I've watched are incredibly haunting. It's not a horror game, so to speak, but it's hard not to get chills when you watch some of the scenes in the trailers and gameplay videos.

Apparently the team did their research during this game, consulting with doctors and many people who actually suffer from the condition, so they do it as much justice as possible.

I mean, the story alone has me sold, but being made by a passionate dev team who wants to shed light on mental illness, and get it right as much as possible? Take my money.

KeyArt_02.jpg

Octo

KULT OF KERMITU
AKA
Octo, Octorawk, Clarky Cat, Kissmammal2000
VALHALLA I AM COMING!

looks good, nice n' gory.

Lulcielid

Eyes of the Lord
AKA
Lulcy
NeoGAF's review thread.

As the time of this writing, the game currently agregated average is 79 on OpenCritic and 81 on MetaCritic.

And due to the nature of heavily anticipated games and scored reviews being source of controversy among fans, Jim Stearling gave the game a 1/10, here's the explanation of why he did that.

EDIT: Tangent to the reviews. Warning about the game:

Die too much in Hellblade: Senua’s Sacrifice and it’ll erase your save
EDIT2: It seens the system is possibly a bluff.

Edit 3: Jim Stearling redid his review of the game, changing it to a 7/10. https://youtu.be/n4v7BQoMTGU

Last edited:

X-SOLDIER

Harbinger O Great Justice
AKA
X
I just saw someone playing a bit of this on Twitch's frontpage, and it looks fucking EXCELLENT.

X :neo:

X-SOLDIER

Harbinger O Great Justice
AKA
X
I watched Lomadia (Hannah of the Yogscast) do a first video on this, and also had my lady watch it as well, and she was INSTANTLY sold on the game along with me, so we picked it up. We'll likely be diving head into it by some time this weekend.

Really hoping that this sets a standard for games like this with small dev teams, and shorter overall length for less cost.

lithiumkatana17

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Lith
I watched Lomadia (Hannah of the Yogscast) do a first video on this, and also had my lady watch it as well, and she was INSTANTLY sold on the game along with me, so we picked it up. We'll likely be diving head into it by some time this weekend.

Really hoping that this sets a standard for games like this with small dev teams, and shorter overall length for less cost.

I watched about an hour and half's worth of gameplay, but I don't want to watch anymore because I actually want to play it. I likely won't have the 30 bucks to spend on it until I get paid next week, so I'll have to wait.

Flare

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Flare
Yeah this game looks quite interesting. It's amazing to think only 20 people made it. I love seeing indie games or games developed by small teams get some attention. :)

Cthulhu

Administrator
AKA
Yop
20 people is actually a pretty big team already, :monster:. Well idk how it looks but still.

lithiumkatana17

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Lith
So I finally bought this game last weekend and started playing it. Haven't finished it yet, but what I've experienced so far is nothing short of amazing. The 5 BAFTAs it won recently are incredibly well-deserved. Also watched the series of development diaries for the game; Ninja Theory put an incredible amount of thought and research into this project. It's a beautiful game to play.

Here's the trailer for the game on Xbox One:

lithiumkatana17

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Lith
I don't know if y'all can hear me screaming over the internet, but...

This game is going to have a lot to live up to. Senua's Sacrifice broke so much ground in terms of how mental health is represented in games, and the way Senua's story ended seemed the most logical way to tie up her journey.

Not to mention, Ninja Theory was bought by Microsoft... last year I believe (cba to look it up right now) so I'm wondering just what kind of direction this is going to take creatively.

Either way, I'm hyped! Senua's Sacrifice deserves way more attention, and hopefully this trailer will get new fans interested.

Top Bottom