help tracking down an old fanfiction?

cloudy

Rookie Adventurer
I've dug through a lot of old FFVII fansites and seen the fic "Omnislash" by kaliflwr being talked up by multiple people. Apparently it was pretty popular back around the time the original game first came out. the thing is, I can't find it anywhere, only mentions of it, which just makes me want to read it more... I figure if anyone still has it saved to their hard drives, it would be someone here.

It was originally hosted on the author's personal site http://www.mindspring.com/~kaliflwr/innersanctum/kali2.html, which is long since defunct. The fic itself isn't on the wayback machine either; that's the first place I checked, too.

If anyone has a pdf or something they'd be willing to share, I'd be really grateful. seeing as it's more than 20 years old by now, my hopes aren't high, but I might as well ask. :p

looneymoon

they/them
AKA
Rishi
I feel like we should have a megathread for archived FF7 fan sites/works from the late 90s-2000s.

This thread inspired me to look up stuff on the wayback machine that I haven't thought of in years.

cloudy

Rookie Adventurer
Have you asked on twitter?
to be honest, I don't like using twitter more than I have to, so even if I were to ask it's not like anyone would see it, unfortunately.

I feel like we should have a megathread for archived FF7 fan sites/works from the late 90s-2000s.

This thread inspired me to look up stuff on the wayback machine that I haven't thought of in years.
That's a good idea. personally I save everything that I would be sad if it got lost, so I have a ton of fanfiction and small websites archived on my computer. especially since FFVII goes back so far, going down old rabbit holes is like stepping into a time machine... but I'm only one person and I don't save everything I come across, so a group effort could definitely cover more ground and probably dig up some cool stuff. even archive.org often misses images or entire pages, and a lot of sites aren't covered at all. if you have any favorite fanfiction, fanart, videos, etc, definitely download them.

I have heard rumours that ff.net will collapse from neglect soon.
are you serious? : ( that would be devastating. there's 20 years' worth of fics on that site.

thelastmagus

Lv. 25 Adventurer
AKA
Cecil
If I recall correctly, AO3's policy is that they will archive any fan-fic hosting site from back before it was more common to upload things to FF.net/AO3. But it's up to the owners of the site to come forward, or something like that.

I remember a huge Geocities website I had bookmarked... I know there's a huge Geocities archive online, but I haven't looked into it.

Clement Rage

Pro Adventurer
If that actually happens I'll be completely crushed. So much time, so many old friends, all my work, all kaput. I honestly don't like A03.
#SaveFF.net

Obsidian Fire

Ahk Morn!
AKA
The Engineer
Given Ao3's propensity for archiving, I wouldn't be surprised if they *were* interested in archiving FF.net.

FF.net was... okay... before the days of tagging. But now... looking back, there was a very obvious pattern where FF.net was okay to browse before a fandom got over-saturated with fics. And then the time spent looking through the fics to read took longer than actually reading fan-fics. It very much became a "needle in a haystack" problem. Trying to find old fics on there is all but impossible if you don't know what the title/author of the fic was or what four categories it fit in, etc.

I've been recently getting back into older fandoms on Ao3 again because it's simply so much easier to sort and filter on that site. I spend a lot less time looking for fics to read and a lot more time actually reading. And the fact that I can *read* fan-fic again is more than worth loosing track of old fan-fics I have no idea how to search for anymore...

thelastmagus

Lv. 25 Adventurer
AKA
Cecil
Given Ao3's propensity for archiving, I wouldn't be surprised if they *were* interested in archiving FF.net.

FF.net was... okay... before the days of tagging. But now... looking back, there was a very obvious pattern where FF.net was okay to browse before a fandom got over-saturated with fics. And then the time spent looking through the fics to read took longer than actually reading fan-fics. It very much became a "needle in a haystack" problem. Trying to find old fics on there is all but impossible if you don't know what the title/author of the fic was or what four categories it fit in, etc.

I've been recently getting back into older fandoms on Ao3 again because it's simply so much easier to sort and filter on that site. I spend a lot less time looking for fics to read and a lot more time actually reading. And the fact that I can *read* fan-fic again is more than worth loosing track of old fan-fics I have no idea how to search for anymore...

YES! Over-saturation was a huge issue for me on FF.net. It got to the point where I basically sorted works by their age, because hey, anyone who put up some embarrassingly written/cracky fic in 2003 will have likely deleted it by now and all the good stuff will remain there.

Also, I would recommend getting browser extensions for AO3, which work even better than having to manually filter every time. Got a certain squick? Block any fic with that in the tags from showing up, for example.

Top Bottom