HeroesCon 2015 report

The Twilight Mexican

Ex-SeeD-ingly good
AKA
TresDias
So, as at least Tenny and X already know, I went to HeroesCon in Charlotte, North Carolina yesterday. It was quite awesome.

I was mostly there to collect signatures from various writers and artists, including:

- John Beatty, the colorist on "The Thanos Quest." I already had Jim Starlin's signature on this, so I hope to someday get that of the penciler Ron Lim as well, but it's plenty cool just having these two.

I had intended to get him to sign my convention program as well as (the original) "Secret Wars" #1 and #12 too, but unlike most creators in attendance, he was charging $3 per signature (Mike Zeck, penciler on the original "Secret Wars," was doing the same, so I skipped him altogether). I settled for getting his signature on just "The Thanos Quest"

- Andy Smith, colorist on "Thanos Annual" (also have Starlin's signature on this), "Thanos vs. Hulk" #1-4 and "Thanos: The Infinity Revelation." Also,
x268srH.jpg

- Jeff Dekal, cover artist on several issues of "Avengers World" I have. I also got
51ElaV6.jpg
from him, which he also signed. He's not the most personable person, but not everyone is supposed to be. That may be why he's an artist lol He will at least respond to questions if you ask (Iron Fist and Psylocke are apparently his favorite characters), and his work is obviously amazing

- Frank Barbiere, writer of last year's amazing "New Avengers Annual" that focused on Dr. Strange (easily the best Dr. Strange story I've ever read) and the final five issues of "Avengers World" this year. He's an excellent writer, and his characterization of Strange, Sunspot and Namor is second to none.

I actually had a full conversation with him, and told him what I just said, as well as that his writing fit perfectly within the overall narrative Jonathan Hickman had been weaving with the Avengers books. He was very grateful to hear all this, and told me he appreciated both the sentiments and the fact that I had bought those books, as those were characters he thought he would never get to write and has no idea whether he'll ever get to write them again.

He said these projects fell to him by luck because Hickman didn't have time to do all of them. He was sent a rather brief overview of where to go and what to do from Hickman, so he just did his best to write the characters well within that framework. The stories he delivered were fucking fantastic

One of my favorite things he said is that he felt like he was writing fanfiction that somehow made its way to print

- Jonathan Hickman, whom I just mentioned. He's the amazing architect and author of all the recent happenings in "Avengers" and "New Avengers," as well as the currently unfolding "Secret Wars" mega event. Not overly personable, perhaps, but friendly and clearly very thoughtful. I actually happened upon him after a line stretching across the showroom had died down, and he was obviously tired but took a moment to talk with me and sign my books.

I told him he's been doing really exciting things with Marvel that five-year-old me has been waiting more than twenty years for. He laughed at that and thanked me. I thanked him back lol I meant to ask him when the final two issues of the "S.H.I.E.L.D." series he wrote a few years ago will be published, but I forgot. I know it was announced several months ago that Dustin Weaver had finished penciling it, and I figured we would have had an announcement by now, but no luck. Oh well.

Anyway, it was great meeting him

- Tim Sale, artist on various projects with Jeph Loeb (i.e. the only good stuff Loeb has written), including the famous Batman story, "The Long Halloween." I actually met him last year. Very friendly to his fans

- Erica Henderson, penciler of "The Unbeatable Squirrel Girl." Very friendly and grateful for this book's fans giving her a try. I confessed to her that when I first saw the previews for it, the unusual art style threw me off, but that after trying it, I loved it and felt it worked well with the book. She was pleased to have won me over

- Jason Aaron, writer of the most recent "Thor" series, as well as the new "Weirdworld." I just barely got his signature. The convention hours yesterday were 10:00-6:00, and he was attending panels from 1:00 until 5:30. I got in line for his booth at 5:00 just before another line stretching across the whole showroom formed, and he wasn't able to actually get back until 5:45.

The convention officials informed those of us waiting that only those fans Aaron could get to in the last 15 minutes of the show would be able to get signatures, and I was barely within that bracket. I had intended for him to sign 12 things, but I reduced the number to the most important five to give folks behind me a chance to get up to him before it was too late

- Kelly Sue DeConnick, creator of "Bitch Planet" and writer of the current "Captain Marvel." Her line was absolutely the worst wait. We waited an hour for her while she was at a panel (a huge line had formed right after I got here as well), and then it took me another thirty minutes to get to her even though I was only like twentieth in line.

This was in part due to her fans really wanting to talk to her and in part because she's a Chatty Cathy herself =P Very, very friendly and sweet, though, and she clearly loves her fans like they love her.

Honestly, I would not have stayed in this line as long as it took if not for wanting to get "Captain Marvel and the Carol Corps" #1 signed for Tenny, but it was so worth it. Also got her to sign my 100th solo issue of Carol's adventures (issue #10 of the current volume of "Captain Marvel")

I also got all these folks (except Beatty) to sign my convention program.

Even though I spent my whole time this year in lines waiting for signatures, I think this may have been one of my best HeroesCon experiences in 20 years of going. The assemblage of creative talent was a dream come true.

EDIT: Oh, and Stan Lee was there, but I wasn't paying $80 to meet him or $100 for a picture =P

Last edited:

Tennyo

Higher Further Faster
giphy.gif

I still can't believe you did that.

You'll be getting hug gifs for a month since I can't give you a real one.

Top Bottom