• There are currently leaks out on the internet for FFVII Rebirth; we have received legal notice about these being posted on the forums. Do not post any images, videos, or other media, or links to them from FFVII Rebirth or the artbook. Any leaked media or links to them will be deleted.Repeat offenders will be suspended.
    Please help us out by reporting any leaks, and do not post spoilers outside of the spoiler section.

Hidden/Easily missable cutscenes

Cereal Bawks

Lv. 1 Adventurer
Hey, everyone. I'm currently replaying through FFVII, streaming it to my friends that've never played it before, and I just wanted to know if there's some list of hidden cutscenes or if somebody here can compile them. I don't want to miss any, as I want to be able to show it to my friends. I already know about the hidden Zack flashback, as well as Vincent's hidden cutscene at the falls near Nibelheim. Are there any other ones I should know about?

Odysseus

Ninja Potato
AKA
Ody
There's a ridiculously obscure scene in the ancient city when you approach the area that's later used for the water projection. It's hard to remember exactly when it's available, but it's a pretty short timeframe. I'm pretty sure it's after Cloud is recovered from Mideel but before you get too far along in the huge materia quest.

JBedford

Pro Adventurer
AKA
JBed
A number of special scenes you'll see if you're obtaining all ultimate weapons and limit breaks. There's a scene that only occurs when obtaining Premium Heart if your party is Cloud/Tifa/Cid. The other important ones are Chaos+Death Penalty, Final Heaven, Limited Moon, and All Creation.

Bonus scenes in the first optional visit to Gongaga (Turks, Scarlet, visiting Zack's parents with Tifa+Aeris). The Yuffie sidequest has to be done before the end of Disc 2, and there's a scene in the Gelnika only available before the end of Disc 2 too.

After the Submarine mission, if you head to Junon Airport you see a small FMV.

Also on the condition that during Cloud's Nibelheim flashback in Kalm you did not ask the Innkeeper about the town; there is an event at the Slums church after digging up the Key to Sector 5.

There are lots of small things. Small cool extra scene if you take Barret onto the Submarine. If Cid's in your party pre-rocket launch you can get a scene with one of the Rocket Townspeople in one of the houses. You'll want to take Vincent to the fight with Hojo for some extra dialogue. The party member pages on the FFWiki list a bunch of extra or noteworthy scenes when each party member is in the party for certain segments.

Cereal Bawks

Lv. 1 Adventurer
Welp, guess I'm not getting that Slums event, then. Pretty sure I did ask the Innkeeper about the town. But other than that, it looks like I didn't miss much. I just got to Disc 2, which seems like is where all the important hidden scenes are. Definitely gonna keep these in mind.

Odysseus

Ninja Potato
AKA
Ody
There's also some less obscure stuff that new players might not know about like the special scenes you get if you bring Tifa and Aerith along when you meet Zack's parents. You probably already knew about that one though.

There's also a lot of easily overlooked dialogue between the party on the highwind.

ForceStealer

Double Growth
Losing in the obligatory submarine mission leads to some humorous scenes, both as the party eject from their first submarine and later as they track down a new submarine. Because the underwater submarine mission is so easy many players will never unlock this lose-scenario.
:dognap:

I only learned that there was a fail state a couple years ago on TLS, haha.

Lestat

He/him
AKA
Ergo, V
Suppose the Zack & cloud kept in the tanks segment is also a possible scene you can miss. After cloud gets his shit together again go back to nibelheim basement and it should trigger the scene showing how Zack and cloud ended up in midgar.

Erotic Materia

[CONFUSED SCREAMING]
I had a friend a while back tell me they could never beat it. I was *aghast*, I tell you.
"Seriously? Literally just spam torpedoes as soon as you start, it's over in like 10 seconds."

Suppose the Zack & cloud kept in the tanks segment is also a possible scene you can miss. After cloud gets his shit together again go back to nibelheim basement and it should trigger the scene showing how Zack and cloud ended up in midgar.
Oh yeah, that's a GOOD one. Don't wanna miss it.

Cereal Bawks

Lv. 1 Adventurer

Yeah, that's the scene I was referring to in the OP. Unles there's a different hidden Zack scene that I'm unaware of?

JBedford

Pro Adventurer
AKA
JBed
I had a friend a while back tell me they could never beat it. I was *aghast*, I tell you.
"Seriously? Literally just spam torpedoes as soon as you start, it's over in like 10 seconds."
If you know what you're doing, yeah.

But most of the time I spend the start fiddling around trying to figure out the controls. The first times I played I then lost track of the target and spent most of my time duelling with other unimportant ships.

Still never unintentionally lost it though.

Failing the Huge Materia missions aren't worth it gameplay wise, but failing the submarine mission mostly gives you extra scenes (and a sweet red submarine). So if that's all you're after then it's worth it. I suggest taking Red XIII for the dognapping.

Failing the rocket one doesn't change much, although it at least shows the player that Shinra's plan wasn't going to work. By taking the Materia, you mostly just make the characters look like assholes. "What a bust... But I kinda hoped it'd work."

Truly failing the Condor one relies on sucking at minigames and at an easy boss. The outcome is interesting, but not worth it.

I'm sure many people have failed the Corel one. I don't think failing it is best for Barret's storyline though. The alternative third outcome may be the most difficult to get of all. Maybe if your controller's Menu button is broken... or you get an important ten minute phonecall just as the time limit appears. That outcome is definitely not worth it.

SocraticMethod

Ex ACFer
AKA
ticalmc2k2
If you know what you're doing, yeah.

But most of the time I spend the start fiddling around trying to figure out the controls. The first times I played I then lost track of the target and spent most of my time duelling with other unimportant ships.

Still never unintentionally lost it though.

Failing the Huge Materia missions aren't worth it gameplay wise, but failing the submarine mission mostly gives you extra scenes (and a sweet red submarine). So if that's all you're after then it's worth it. I suggest taking Red XIII for the dognapping.

Failing the rocket one doesn't change much, although it at least shows the player that Shinra's plan wasn't going to work. By taking the Materia, you mostly just make the characters look like assholes. "What a bust... But I kinda hoped it'd work."

Truly failing the Condor one relies on sucking at minigames and at an easy boss. The outcome is interesting, but not worth it.

I'm sure many people have failed the Corel one. I don't think failing it is best for Barret's storyline though. The alternative third outcome may be the most difficult to get of all. Maybe if your controller's Menu button is broken... or you get an important ten minute phonecall just as the time limit appears. That outcome is definitely not worth it.

I never understood the whole Huge Materia thing. This was where the story became more like a fetch quest to revisit places and the story temporarily falls apart. Shinra actually seemed to have a better idea of how to defeat Meteor but for some reason the party wants to steal it all and sabotage the literal last resort? What's the motivation behind taking the Huge Materia when Shinra actually finally realizes the peril the Planet is in and does something moderately logical?

Odysseus

Ninja Potato
AKA
Ody
It probably would have been better if the huge materia actually served a purpose in the plot beyond being macguffins to chase. The plot pretty much just spins its wheels for a while there.

ForceStealer

Double Growth
The idea is that the Huge Materia contains a, well, huge amount of Lifestream and knowledge, compressed in the reactors. So just strapping them to a bomb and slamming into Meteor would be a colossal waste of such knowledge, and a compounding of the damage that the Reactors have already done. But it was extremely risky considering they hadn't even formulated their own plan yet (killing Sephiroth to see if Holy could stop it). The FFX party made a similarly risky move. VII's cast's almost really backfired though, lol.

I did make a thread a long-ass time ago wondering if the party had let Shinra load all the Huge Materia onto the rocket, would it have worked.

Makoeyes987

Listen closely, there is meaning in my words.
AKA
Smooth Criminal
It wouldn't have worked because, since when in Final Fantasy has a magic spell just been stopped by throwing a bomb at it? Sephiroth could easily use the Lifestream to invoke Meteor again in the highly unlikely, and ultimately impossible scenario that Meteor was interrupted. Sephiroth is in the Lifestream. It's at his beck and call. He can absorb it, and use it to manipulate materia and magic. But it wouldn't matter because Meteor can't be stopped, it's magic.

"Meteor" isn't a real life, reality-based meteorite that just falls onto the planet.

It's a Black Magic spell. A manifestation of magical force. Unknown magical energy draws in planetoids and asteroids, binds them together, and draws them to the planet so that it may impact the surface. Detonating the largest bomb you can imagine on that object would do nothing. As witnessed in the scene when the Shinra 26 does collide with Meteor, any damage that's inflicted gets undone by the force binding Meteor together. It cannot be destroyed by simple mortal means. It's a destructive spell that's been invoked and must be undone/negated by Holy.

The Huge Materia's value is the lives, knowledge, spirit energy and magical power that is contained within them. Would you be comfortable if humanity just somehow took the entire Amazon Rain Forest, compressed it into a glass object sphere, and then hurled it into space to blow up an object, which would ultimately fail?

It would be gone forever. And that's why blowing up the Huge Materia would be foolish and destructive. Huge Materia obviously has material, spiritual and planetary value. They're one of a kind. They're unironically, the closest equivalent to the crystals of FFVII's world. And they actually do bestow power to the heroes once they actually master their materia. They're more useful as powers given to the characters than just one-time use bombs that do nothing.

ForceStealer

Double Growth
Yeah, but the bomb on the rocket DID damage Meteor. So I don't think it's completely unreasonable to wonder if a powerful enough explosion might have done it. I assume if it was pulverized it would pull itself back together the way the pieces that were blown off the back were held onto. But we are to assume the Huge Materia contain a huge amount of magical energy, not just physical.

Makoeyes987

AKA
Smooth Criminal
It didn't damage Meteor.

It cosmetically altered Meteor's appearance. As shown in the cutscene, Meteor just kept coming, and simply re-built itself with energy after the explosion. The rocket's collision didn't even alter it's course. If physics and astrodynamics were to be believed at work, Meteor's trajectory should've been altered by such a massive collision of explosive force.

Yet Meteor stayed directly on target for Midgar. The Rocket ultimately did nothing. And that's why it's magic. Meteor was never going to be destroyed by a physical bomb of any sort. The energy released by just using Materia as an explosive force is no different than burning Mako as fuel. That's not what it's really meant to be used for, and not a true manifestation of it's magic potential. That's just burning it up as a catalyst/fuel. That's a waste, not magic.

Tetsujin

he/they
AKA
Tets
A colossal waste of knowledge and power was storing the huge materia in Bugenhagen's attic and not doing anything plot relevant with it :wacky:
Honestly, might as well have used it as an A-bomb instead.
I mean, they sure as hell didn't complain about all the Mako energy that was expended when the Sister Ray fired and actually destroyed Sephiroth's barrier. Imagine if they had tried to stop that too :monster:
Honestly, I think Sister Ray probably blew a bigger Mako load than the huge materia ever could.

Makoeyes987

AKA
Smooth Criminal
One of the Huge Materia is literally Bahamut Zero and the others give them whatever mastered materia they choose to extract from it. So it does provide them all with actual power.

That's no different than what the Four Elemental Crystals have done in literally every Final Fantasy that's come before. They're a repository and dispenser of power and magic.

I don't think comparing it the Sister Ray is really quite the same thing, since they were trying to stop the firing of it, and they failed. They didn't want that shot to be fired, and it just so happened that it did work and bust Sephiroth's barrier. That doesn't mean it was ultimately the proper choice but it just ended up working out.

Tetsujin

he/they
AKA
Tets
Literally none of the huge materia provide anything plot-relevant at all though. That's the whole thing about being optional :monster:
It's purely gameplay. In terms of plot, they do jack all after retrieving them (*if* you retrieved them that is).

Also, if they had stopped the mako cannon from firing they would have been fucked, let's face it.

Well, maybe they could've chucked the huge materia at the barrier :desucait:

Makoeyes987

AKA
Smooth Criminal
Their plot relevance is the fact they serve as a means of providing Cloud and the others tools necessary to beat Sephiroth. That's what Cid and Cloud state is their motivation for getting them. And yeah, they're optional but they're portrayed as being an important aspect of the fight for the planet, so important that Cloud and the others are willing to fight Shinra tooth-and-nail to obtain them. They don't just sit in the observatory, they give Cloud and the others materia to fight with.

Summons in FFVII-R are optional too, but that doesn't change the fact they're intertwined into the plot itself and the story ultimately assumes you would go after them there as well. It's the same principle at work. Cloud and the others are expected to protect and go after that power of the planet to beat Sephiroth, especially considering the significance summons are known to have now. There's no way they would willingly sacrifice Bahamut Zero to just be a bomb that futilely tries to stop Meteor. That doesn't match up with anything.

Top Bottom