Hopes for Remake & Rebirth (gameplay/combat)

fancy

pants
AKA
Fancy
I would like the remake to incorporate FFXV's "banter between characters" system (for lack of proper name), I don't ask for Cloud and Co to be as chatty as Noct & Bros but I would like to hear them commenting about stuff here and there.

I can picture it now.

Trekking across the whole of the Planet, the sounds surrounding you being naught but the distant cries of the wildlife and Yuffie taking the piss out of everyone and everything.

Compilation videos of 'Shit Cid Says'

That one random line of banter that, for whatever reason, becomes a meme within the fandom.

:megusta: indeed.

Agrippa

Pro Adventurer
I would like the remake to incorporate FFXV's "banter between characters" system (for lack of proper name), I don't ask for Cloud and Co to be as chatty as Noct & Bros but I would like to hear them commenting about stuff here and there.

I can picture it now.

Trekking across the whole of the Planet, the sounds surrounding you being naught but the distant cries of the wildlife and Yuffie taking the piss out of everyone and everything.

That one random line of banter that, for whatever reason, becomes a meme within the fandom.

:megusta: indeed.
So something kind of like this, I assume.

The Twilight Mexican

Ex-SeeD-ingly good
AKA
TresDias
I can picture it now.

I initially read this as "Compilation videos of 'Cid Says Shit'" -- which could also end up happening. :monster:

X-SOLDIER

Harbinger O Great Justice
AKA
X

(The official stream video is clearer and not covered by niconico text, but you have to skip to 1:26:00)

Now that FFXV has Character Swapping with each of them playing really differently, I'm REALLY looking forward to seeing how FFVIIR implements this for its characters, because it looks like they're really gonna embrace the differences of each character, rather than homogenizing them to play more similarly.

X :neo:

Claymore

3x3 Eyes
That shit really should have been in the game from launch.

In any case, yeah, it really is intriguing exactly how the character switching within VIIIR will work. I think, once we finally find out how exactly Materia will play in things, we'll get a better understanding of how individual characters could play out.

cold_spirit

he/him
AKA
Alex T

I disagree. This is a common resentment I keep seeing on the net and I'm gonna address it here.

Had character swamping been available at launch, it would not exist in it's current form. I guarantee each bro would've functioned similarly to Noctis. By waiting until the DLCs have been developed, we now have THREE additional gameplay styles.

It would've become a development nightmare had SE tried to implement unique styles for each party member for launch. Disliked how choppy XV's story felt? Imagine if the team was split even further to develop these mechanics. Game balance, animation, progression systems; it would've been a massive undertaking.

No, FFXV is much better for having delayed character swapping.

Obsidian Fire

Ahk Morn!
AKA
The Engineer
^It's probably more at the level of if players wanted to finally get FFXV vs delaying it for however long it took to work the bugs out. Which by this point... yeah no... nobody would have gone for that given how long it took the dev team to even get FFXV out in the first place.

Also, I question if they'd have come out with all the updates/DLC/improvements if FFXV hadn't done well in the first place. I get the feeling things could have turned out very differently if the fan-base had reacted differently to the main game.

cold_spirit

he/him
AKA
Alex T
One more point before I rest my case: Let's continue to assume that had character swapping been available at launch, each bro would’ve functioned similarly to Noctis. The problem is that Noctis can already use every weapon. To validate the existence of character swapping, each party member needs a separate battle system. There would've been very little point in swapping had the only difference been stats. Hence, they needed time to develop this. Time they did not have.

Also, I question if they'd have come out with all the updates/DLC/improvements if FFXV hadn't done well in the first place. I get the feeling things could have turned out very differently if the fan-base had reacted differently to the main game.

Are you saying the fanbase was receptive of the main game? My impression is that FFXV did well commercially, okay critically, but was divisive among players. I'm surprised there's enough support for another year.

Claymore

3x3 Eyes

I disagree. This is a common resentment I keep seeing on the net and I'm gonna address it here.

Had character swamping been available at launch, it would not exist in it's current form. I guarantee each bro would've functioned similarly to Noctis. By waiting until the DLCs have been developed, we now have THREE additional gameplay styles.

It would've become a development nightmare had SE tried to implement unique styles for each party member for launch. Disliked how choppy XV's story felt? Imagine if the team was split even further to develop these mechanics. Game balance, animation, progression systems; it would've been a massive undertaking.

No, FFXV is much better for having delayed character swapping.

If we were talking about possibly Versus, then I'd see your point, but since the development of XV and the core bros and their gameplay, yes, that should have been in there from launch. You only have four characters and you couldn't develop their individual fighting mechanics and gameplay attributes? And yeah, since I personally felt that the 'DLCs' were blatantly ripped and held back from the main game... *shrugs*

I know there are a lot of XV defenders on this board, but a lot about the game should have been there for launch. For some fans, it is too little too late.

I'm surprised there's enough support for another year.

Now that I'll agree with, as I'm shocked that there is enough backing to support stretching it out for another year.

Last edited:

X-SOLDIER

AKA
X
While the elements for the storylines existed (along with an absolutely insane amount of world lore), that's really what's responsible for all the development hell. They couldn't boil down a manageable experience for the game that XV would be, and it bounced around in the works for a DECADE.

Once they managed to get it into a workable vision, that's what allowed us to get the release version of XV.

• Is there content for them to make tons of episodic DLC?
— Yes.
• Was it ripped from the main game?
— Yes.
• Would FFXV have ever been made without ripping all that out to focus on delivering Noctis' story?
— HELL NO.

The DLC is being made in relation to fan interest (feedback, polls, etc.), and the dev cost of making it is done ONLY because the initial game was a success. The reason all this wasn't in the launch version of XV is because if it was, XV would never have launched a game. EVER.

That being said, we're lucky it did, because focus on the individual characters having unique gameplay, even apart from the core system (which Comrades has shown is INCREDIBLY capable of depth and variety). That expansion means that the FFVIIR characters have a potential to incorporate a large number of playstyles, while still being balanced for a core experience. It'll be interesting to see if, as they expand, and we see more characters if we start to get hints of what their FFVIIR versions are like (Aranea & Cid for example)

Unit-01

Might be around.
AKA
Sic, Anthony
Damn, that damage Promto does.

It's nice this is being added to the game. Frankly I actually haven't touched XV since i beat it earlier this year. I should revisit it soon.

______
Also it does bring a good look to what will be in the Remake.

Ite

Save your valediction (she/her)
AKA
Ite
This is all just re-affirming my “stay one console generation behind” philosophy. Unfortunately, I won’t be able to give FF7R that kind of patience. I’ll be lined up in the snow. For the initial release and for every piece of DLC they make.

(Download the Tifa pack for just £80!)

Claymore

3x3 Eyes
One generation behind is a bit drastic, but certainly waiting for any complete editions and waves of patches to be finished is a sensible tactic this generation. A lot of launches have been either incomplete or hot messes.

X-SOLDIER

AKA
X
What's really interesting to me about all this is the more I think about how DIFFERENT each character can be, while still being fundamentally balanced for the game overall. Comrades and this new update has really got my brain spinning about this a lot, especially because of some other things that exist in FFVII that aren't as present in FFXV, or they're much more specialized:

Weapon Types
– In XV, Noctis is the main character, and he can use any weapon type, so it's really all about specializing him for battle, and knowing which of your Chocobros will be more/less effective. Comrades REALLY opens this up a bit, and you start to learn more about how the different weapon types pair and synergize with the different Sigils to make things feel like different classes, without explicitly BEING different classes. (Making a character with Sigil of the Rogue & Shuriken make me think about how Yuffie could play in FFVIIR)
– If enemies keep the same sort of weapon & type resistances, as well as limb break weaknesses in FFVIIR, it'll be really neat to see how that will encourage using particular characters for particular missions, as well as swapping to certain characters in particular battles. That's even more enhanced by customization potential like Elemental Materia giving weapons elemental properties to further specialize against particular bosses.

MP Management
– In XV, only Noctis manages MP, and it's basically just for Warp-Striking. Comrades expands on that a bit with how it uses offensive spells, as well as Barrier for guarding against attacks. While Comrades really gets into a more balanced MP usage, you're very rarely ever looking at not having MP, because it's debilitating to how the Combat is designed.
– In FFVII, everybody has MP, and it's a much more carefully managed resource, because it ONLY affects magic. If MP stays costly and can actually run low in combat without needing to regen, and certain characters use X thing more efficiently than others, I can see some really interesting dynamics to when swapping between various characters could be a LOT of fun – especially with limbs, and weapon type weaknesses that XV has. That also ties in to how some Materia are ability-based, and others are magic, and how character with low MP can still feel really powerful even in that system, depending on how you allocate things to that party member.

Limit Breaks
- Aside from the Armiger System and 3 bar cost Abilities of your allies, XV doesn't really have Limit Breaks, but that gives a good handle on how you could control them.
- Like XV uses its L1 Menu to control abilities, I think that having something like that in FFVIIR to passively activate Limit Breaks would be really awesome, but the character Swap also makes it so that it'd be easy to swap to a character and use their Limit Break manually. The Exception here would come in the form of Vincent, where you could keep him from using him Limit Break IF you wanted to still play as him, because after activating his Limit Break, he'd go into full AI-only mode until the end of Combat.

Ryushikaze

Deus Admiral Parsimonious, PHD, DDS, MD, JD, OBE
AKA
Tim, Ryu
The more I look at and play XV, the more I think that XV is an extremely well made Beta/ Testbed for all the games SE is going to be making soon.

They're using it to test character hotswaps in RPG action games, different playstyles with similar controls, etc.

Makes me wonder if FF7R might have an Online/ Multiplayer component where you can get multiple people together and someone takes Cloud, someone takes Barret, Yuffie takes your Materia, and someone takes Tifa.

Online Expansion: SOLDIER
Followed by a second expansion pack:

chara_01.png

:awesome: ......In my dreams. >___>

X-SOLDIER

AKA
X
I would be way stoked about seeing some sort of integrated Multiplayer-lite content like Comrades at some point for FFVIIR.

I wonder if any of Vincent's gameplay will have any subtle nods to DoC for you, Shad. :monster:

Claymore

3x3 Eyes
Makes me wonder if FF7R might have an Online/ Multiplayer component where you can get multiple people together and someone takes Cloud, someone takes Barret, Yuffie takes your Materia, and someone takes Tifa.

It feels almost inevitable. They must have, at the very least, toyed with the idea, though I do wonder if something like that would be executed better if it was relegated to the Golden Saucer only, in some form of special Battle Events.

Also, that brings up a good point about what kind of Combo system will be employed within this to work alongside the character switching.

Are they still aiming for 'Advent Children' style battling as the true face of combat in VII?

Random Nobody

local roach
But if I can't Goku instant transmission around the map and shoryuken slap fight enemies like a BDO mystic/striker, then what's the point.

Cthulhu

Administrator
AKA
Yop
But if I can't Goku instant transmission around the map and shoryuken slap fight enemies like a BDO mystic/striker, then what's the point.

You could instant Unrealistic Boob Physics and cause the Nosebleed status in either the other characters or the players behind them though. :awesome:

Top Bottom