Hopes for Remake & Rebirth (gameplay/combat)

Tashasaurous

Tash for Short
AKA
Sailor Moon, Mini Moon, Hotaru, Cardcaptor Sakura, Meilin, Xion, Kairi, Aqua, Tifa, Aerith, Yuffie, Elena, Misty, May, Dawn, Casey, Fiona, Ellie
Online Expansion: SOLDIER

Fuck that.... Online Expansion: TURKS :awesome:

I'm 99% certain they'd be more than willing to make BC an expansion.

Sadly, in our dreams. It'd be awesome if they did make BC an expansion to the Remake.

But after watching the Pokemon I Choose You reboot film and saw the trailer of it's sequel that's coming out next year(and that they made Ash's eyes big again, much to my annoyance), I'm 95% percent certain the FFVII Remake will go down towards the same path of an alternate continunity of it's own like the 20th Pokemon film did.

5% of me says that I'm wrong, but that's very unlikely.

Vyzzuvazzadth

Yazzavedth Zayann
Fuck that.... Online Expansion: TURKS :awesome:

I'm 99% certain they'd be more than willing to make BC an expansion.

Sadly, in our dreams. It'd be awesome if they did make BC an expansion to the Remake.

But after watching the Pokemon I Choose You reboot film and saw the trailer of it's sequel that's coming out next year(and that they made Ash's eyes big again, much to my annoyance), I'm 95% percent certain the FFVII Remake will go down towards the same path of an alternate continunity of it's own like the 20th Pokemon film did.

5% of me says that I'm wrong, but that's very unlikely.
Nomura notes Final Fantasy VII Remake is a title “loaded with a lot of mystery for now” with the existing Compilation of FFVII seemingly off the table. “If we make a compilation, these games will hardly have an overall coherence,” said Nomura about Crisis Core, Dirge of Cerberus, etc. “It will be difficult because there is no more continuity between the Compilation and Remake for the moment.”

Source: http://www.novacrystallis.com/2017/02/final-fantasy-vii-remake-will-retain-essence-original/

Alternate continuity confirmed I guess.

Unlucky

WHERE HAVE YOU BEEN
I just want more battles like the Astral battles in XV pl0x.

Titan’s in particular. Leviathan’s was visually stunning, but I hated the super saiyan mode controls

Random Nobody

local roach
Nomura notes Final Fantasy VII Remake is a title “loaded with a lot of mystery for now” with the existing Compilation of FFVII seemingly off the table. “If we make a compilation, these games will hardly have an overall coherence,” said Nomura about Crisis Core, Dirge of Cerberus, etc. “It will be difficult because there is no more continuity between the Compilation and Remake for the moment.”
Source: http://www.novacrystallis.com/2017/02/final-fantasy-vii-remake-will-retain-essence-original/

Alternate continuity confirmed I guess.

tenor.gif

Regardless, I'm highly sceptical that anything in the Remake is going to directly contradict the Compilation -- at least not in the sense that it's going to erase any major events. We might not see Gakt's self-insert running around not that anyone would miss him, but that's to be expected given that FFVII's narrative is delivered through a nested set of limited perspectives.

leadmyskeptic

Pro Adventurer
I like the way you put that...individual 'perspectives' actually, now that I think about it, is a HUGE part of the game and Cloud's main narrative especially--the folly of memory, but also just who-saw-what-and-from-where is really what allows all the mind-fuckery to take place. So they wouldn't even be 'cheating' by not including some of those Comp things, it's as simple as 'the characters we're following didn't see it'.

Side note: I get the impression I'm strongly in the minority here, but as much as the idea of a Turks expansion/side-game is tempting, I for one was disappointed with the way the "Expanded" universe softened these ruthless killers for hire into almost like, supercops of some sort. I mean, these are some pillar-dropping motherfuckers! By the end of the game, you realize they are of the classic cinematic "charming assassin" variety...but assassins nonetheless, know what I mean?

Cthulhu

Administrator
AKA
Yop
The wotsit fights in XV were, I think, weird tech demos that were developed years ago and they were like, well fuck it since we already have it, might as well chuck it into this already botched frankenstinian (?) monstrosity of a game because we spent a year on it and it'd be a waste to not put it in.

I mean, fuck XV with a barbed wire'd baseball bat.

Tashasaurous

Tash for Short
AKA
Sailor Moon, Mini Moon, Hotaru, Cardcaptor Sakura, Meilin, Xion, Kairi, Aqua, Tifa, Aerith, Yuffie, Elena, Misty, May, Dawn, Casey, Fiona, Ellie
What exactly is wotsit? @Cthulhu

I think it's meant to be worst. If not, then I have no idea what wotsit is either.

Unlucky

WHERE HAVE YOU BEEN
I think he meant The Astral fights. Unsure. I don’t speak R’lyehian :awesome:

If so, I agree (save for the Titan fight. That was probably the best thing to come out of that game). Shit was all over the place, I was literally spamming O while trying not to throw up

Tashasaurous

Tash for Short
AKA
Looked up Wotsits and apparently it means two different things and I have a feeling the former is more likely than the latter.

Former:
A name for an vague item, or something whose name you have forgotten. An abbreviation of "what's it called?" It's in the Dictionary when I looked up the meaning of it on Google.

Latter: It's the name of a
British brand of cheesy flavour corn puffs sold by Walkers Crisps and originally by Golden Wonder. The most common form are cheese flavoured curly shapes.

Cthulhu

Administrator
AKA
Yop
wotsit - what's it, it's like er, "that thing", dinges, etc. I cba with words a lot of the time :monster:. It's probably mostly a Discworld reference, which also has wossname and such.

Discworld said:
This is a thing, you know, doodah. Whatsisface, had it on the tip of my tongue a moment ago, thingummy, doobrie, yeah right, it's a Wossname!

These constituted virtually the entire vocabulary available to Eric's... bird-shaped thing, ...big beak, Parrot.

Vyzzuvazzadth

Yazzavedth Zayann
Many of those broken Materia combinations will most likely not work the same in an action-based battle system and might thus be rendered less broken and more balanced.

I do second breaking the damage limit of 9999, however. That stupid damage cap rendered single hit attacks almost useless against things like multi-hit Limit Breaks and 4x cut.

Kain424

Old Man in the Room
Yes. This.

And any case, several of the newer titles allowed for passing the four digit cap anyhow (Death Penalty glitch notwithstanding).

Lestat

He/him
AKA
Ergo, V
Cue grinding for materials/special weapons and armour to get damage limit break like in ffx :P

Random Nobody

local roach
Side note: I get the impression I'm strongly in the minority here, but as much as the idea of a Turks expansion/side-game is tempting, I for one was disappointed with the way the "Expanded" universe softened these ruthless killers for hire into almost like, supercops of some sort. I mean, these are some pillar-dropping motherfuckers! By the end of the game, you realize they are of the classic cinematic "charming assassin" variety...but assassins nonetheless, know what I mean?
I honestly think the sanitisation of the Turks is one of the worst parts of the Compilation. It's more or less emblematic of everything wrong with the EU's writing direction in general.

Lulcielid

Eyes of the Lord
AKA
Lulcy
Were do you get that impression? OG VII never showed that kind of stuff, at most it implied something like but I don't remember being like that on-screen, unless you have video proff?

ChipNoir

Pro Adventurer
Were do you get that impression? OG VII never showed that kind of stuff, at most it implied something like but I don't remember being like that on-screen, unless you have video proff?

Um, the fact that outside of the Wutai side mission and Mithril Mines, every time they meet you they pretty much try to kill you?

They have a point. Advent Children really glosses over the fact to try to turn Reno and Rude into the comic relief. It's a really stark change, especially for characters you absolutely had the option to kill by the end of the game.

leadmyskeptic

Pro Adventurer
When you're first introduced to them, Cloud explains to Aeris that besides violent kidnappings,
"They're also involved in a lot of dirty stuff on the side.
Spying, murder... you know." (FF7 Script).

As far as for onscreen? Reno is the one who triggers the plate-fall, killing countless residents of both the upper-plate and the slums beneath. I suppose we could imagine that Rude had some sort of off-screen objection to it, but...

Theozilla

Kaiju Member
I can’t remember if this is accurate or not, but wasn’t it later determined that the Turks came off as more obliviously comedic in the original Japanese script, that they seeming more serious in English was partially due to some lost in translation stuff? (Similar to Kefka in the original Japanese of FFVI)

ForceStealer

Double Growth
I think Advent Children Complete did a better job of balancing the physical comedy. No more scene of them failing to climb the vinyl fence, and just giving them a dialogue scene to discuss their place and stuff.

Theozilla

Kaiju Member
I feel like that would make them even less sympathetic, really. "Hee hee hee, look at all these dead people."

I don’t mean in terms of sympathy, but in terms of how much of a serious threat the games presents/framed them as to the player.

Like IIRC Kefka’s reception as a memorable villain Japan didn’t compare to his legacy in the West.

Last edited:
Top Bottom