Hopes for Remake & Rebirth (gameplay/combat)

Ite

Save your valediction (she/her)
AKA
Ite
I feel this is probably a logistic thing for how the narrative will play out. Even if we don't get to explore as anyone else in Part 1, we all know that the story will demand it eventually.

Yes... it’s just... there goes my solo Tifa playthrough fantasy. I suppose it’s only right that Cloud stay present in the player’s mind as “the hero” because it’s all the bigger gut-punch when he beeps off later. Heh.

Kain424

Old Man in the Room
Yeah, they seem to be keeping to the original on most things. Which is honestly a good sign, in my never quite humble opinion.

pxp

Pro Adventurer
@Mr. Ite @ChipNoir @Cannon_Fodder

So I noticed Barret uses Thunder on a Sweeper in the Gameplay trailer which doesn't come across nearly as frenetic as when he casts it on the Scorpion Sentinel (nor in the case of Aerith on Aps if that's Thunder). So I speculate that maybe magic effects on bosses (and/or bigger enemies) are visually heightened?

FFShinra

Sharp Shinra Shill
At least that answers my question about how it transitions controlwise between battle and exploration.

Reactions: pxp

pxp

Pro Adventurer
Sorry for the double post but the OP on Reddit got back to me saying Barret was around on the field but that he doesn’t necessarily follow Cloud like up his butt, he basically sometimes was alongside him, sometimes wandered off to inspect something himself etc. This sounds really good to me, and will hopefully cut down on the bumping into each other every few seconds as in XV!

ForceStealer

Double Growth
Especially with hallucinations and stuff, it's pretty clear that Cloud is going to be the point of view character. So it makes sense that you will control him in non-battle segments. I would think in later parts, especially after the mystery of Cloud's past is sorted out, that would be less important and you could be whoever all the time.

Solordinn

Lv. 25 Adventurer
I don't think my hype is gonna dial down anytime soon.
Now that it's pretty much concrete that Midgar will be the main location of the first game and would be scaled to the level of something like Gta or more, it makes me think if they're gonna apply it to other locations in the game and that is why there was some confusion at what Kitase said regarding part 2 (which has thankfully been resolved).

I've been thinking on how square intends to tackle the world map. I imagine a mix of FF12 and FF15 style of world map with fully detailed regions.
giphy.gif
giphy.gif

But after see the scale of Midgar in the new intro sequence, i think they could push it even farther by making the most detailed and scaled world ever.
giphy.gif
giphy.gif

Just imagine traversing this realistically scaled (but not too scaled) world. Maybe including the storyline (and where to end it), this is also part of the challenge square is looking at for the sequel.

Which then begs the question, how would you feel if some locations and towns are changed or moved around as well as new towns and locations to further expand and flesh out the world.

FFShinra

Sharp Shinra Shill
I'm increasingly wondering whether a bog standard PS4 can handle this game. I mean, I am expecting it will look great on the Pro, but I do hope its not too diminished on the regular.

Solordinn

Lv. 25 Adventurer
i'd like to think that they got a development kit, so a small team can test out ideas while the main productions continues work on the first game.

OdaDaimyO

Conqueror of Sugar
AKA
Mochi Lover
Aside of the main path, I hope we can stroll around the city with every character we want to play as.

Last edited:

ChipNoir

Pro Adventurer
@Mr. Ite @ChipNoir @Cannon_Fodder

So I noticed Barret uses Thunder on a Sweeper in the Gameplay trailer which doesn't come across nearly as frenetic as when he casts it on the Scorpion Sentinel (nor in the case of Aerith on Aps if that's Thunder). So I speculate that maybe magic effects on bosses (and/or bigger enemies) are visually heightened?

I dunno... I'd need comparison gifs.

pxp

Pro Adventurer
i have no doubt square has gotten their hands on the ps5 development kit and testing out the world map design.
I doubt that. They’ve got this game to finish first.
I reckon Solordinn is right given that it’s basically been confirmed that Part One is being “future-proofed” for PS5:

http://www.pushsquare.com/news/2019...ake_is_being_developed_as_a_ps4_and_ps5_title

Square Enix CEO Yosuke Matsuda said: "I believe that our teams have made it so that the game will support both the next generation and the current generation of consoles. I believe it is being developed so that it is going to be playable on both."

Eerie

Fire and Blood
Will there be a special version for the PS5? I'm planning on buying one just for FFVIIR, but I want a Deluxe version of the game >_>

pxp

Pro Adventurer
Will there be a special version for the PS5? I'm planning on buying one just for FFVIIR, but I want a Deluxe version of the game >_>
Not sure really, but I speculate it’ll just be the same game disc with a PS5 patch - similar to the PS4 Pro enchanced games? In which case the current Deluxe or 1st Class editions will suffice ...

Of course there’ll be a sooper dooper version with all instalments in one box years down the line.

Last edited:

Kain424

Old Man in the Room
Only reason I was able to grab a 1st Class Edition of the game right off the bat was because I'd been saving for years, in the hopes there would be some kind of special Final Fantasy VII-themed PS4 Pro.

Now I'm wondering if there will be a Final Fantasy VII-themed PS5.

Ite

Save your valediction (she/her)
AKA
Ite
This probably means that I can hold off on the $400 Carbunkle DLC until PS5? I’m not “fuck-yeah” about the action figure, but I don’t want to miss out on exclusive summons.

Edit: hope for gameplay/combat. Unless Biggs, Wedge, and Jessie become playable, the story of Midgar only has Cloud with one or two allies until you rescue Aeris and meet Red XIII. How big of a shock would it be to control 5 characters against H0512? For new players, it’s “Oh man! I’m controlling all four characters and this dog as well! Bonus!” And for returning players, it’s “Holy shit Part 2 and on is going to be like the Bahamut-SIN fight every day.”

Last edited:

Kain424

Old Man in the Room
Oh, man. If we could get to play as Biggs, Wedge, and Jessie... damn. The old dream.

I mean, I'm VERY happy they are extending the story and fleshing out these guys more. But I will be grinning ear to ear if I can play as the whole of AVALANCHE on my first playthrough.

Top Bottom